Striker Happy To Play Lone Role

Barney

SHOLA Ameobi says that he can't wait for next season to start after spending the majority of the last campaign on the sidelines because of injury.

With the 25-year-old's longstanding hip problem now a thing of the past, Ameobi has set his sights on a summer of hard work ahead of the Premiership's big kick-off on August 11.

And the Nigerian-born striker admits it could be a lonely period over the next few weeks as he continues to work his way back to full fitness at the club's training ground.

Shola, who netted five times last season before succumbing to his hip injury in November, told Newcastle World TV: I have really pushed myself the last six or seven months and obviously I need some rest.

But I will be in and out of the club over the summer, probably by myself most of the time, and I'm quite happy to do that because it's my career and it's for Newcastle United."

And, while Ameobi concedes that last season's finish was not acceptable, he believes that United have the quality to get back among the top six next year.

"We can't wait until next season to get out there and do the business like we know we can," he added.

"Hopefully we'll go into the season with a fully fit squad and push for a European place."

Looking back to last season, Ameobi says that the problems he endured have only made him a stronger character, adding: "There were times when I could not walk for a couple of days after a match and there were a lot of tears.

At times I look back and think why did I do it, but my love of the game and love of the club makes you do things like that.

"It's been a tough two years but the funny thing is I think I've improved."

"I have matured and hopefully that will show next season."

from .cock

got a good attitude and I'm sure we'd all love for him to be a 25 a season striker, facts are he's not good enough and never will be. But at least we've got a hard working, patient and fairly dependable 4th choice striker

I fondly remember Sholas performances when our chips were down, Barcelona for a start

Leverkusen was another one. He put in a good shift with the injury he had this season as well. Shame for his sake that he wasn't fit this year or he'd have finally got to start 30+ games and show what he can do.

I quite like him due to him being a Newcastle lad and coming through the youth ranks. His attitude above is nice to see.

Leverkusen was another one. He put in a good shift with the injury he had this season as well. Shame for his sake that he wasn't fit this year or he'd have finally got to start 30+ games and show what he can do.

I quite like him due to him being a Newcastle lad and coming through the youth ranks. His attitude above is nice to see.

it is a shame this season he was injured i cant see him have many chances next season but sam makes average players good players

Matt? :lol:

Ok, let's get it over with :lol:

Striker Happy To Play Lone Role

Yeah, the lone role as 4th striker: being the only one to never play.

but sam makes average players good players

Average players. Not lost causes.

Guest alex

5th striker i think behind carroll

Carroll was meant to be going on loan for the season. Not sure what the situation is now though.

Guest alex

i think he is going to be some player

I think he could be a good player. Seems to have a physical presence, looks comfortable with his back to goal and has a good first touch. I don't like overhyping youngsters though. Chopra is the new Shearer etc.

Would still like to see Ameobi being given a post shearer opportunity. They never played well together and Shola has shown some excellent football at times, mainly prior to the last injury. If Fatty signs and Owen & Martins stays, it unfortunately looks as if Ameobi will be waiting for an injury or a substitution.