Defender set for Reebok exit

Craig

7th June 2007

Tal Ben Haim looks set to sign for Newcastle after former Bolton boss Sam Allardyce confirmed his interest in the defender.

The Israeli international looks certain to reject the offer of a new contract at the Reebok Stadium and leave on a free transfer this summer with Newcastle now favourites to land him.

Chelsea had always been the frontrunners for his signature after trying to sign him in the transfer window, but now Allardyce is in charge at St James' Park, the Magpies look set to swoop.

Bolton have offered the player a lucrative deal to stay but Ben Haim wants to challenge for honours and feels he has a better chance of doing that elsewhere.

"Yes, I'm interested in Tal Ben Haim, he's a free agent and hopefully available," he said. "He has got three or four years of experience in the Premiership and I know him inside out.

Source: http://www.clubcall.com/index.jsp?storyID=318982

:D

This is awesome.

If someone told me in January that we would have a decent manager and three signings in June i would have told them to fuck off.

Do you reckon they'l unveil them all at once? ;)

Shay will be lovin this, some good centre backs in front of him for once

felt sorry for shay with the cover he had always made him look bad because so many goals went past him and it wasn't always his fault

i'd agree that ben haim would be a good player at cb for us, as he is quite a bit better than what we have.

i also think given would like this, as he's clearly hardly at fault (except for his kicking which is still appalling).

whilst not the 2 best centrebacks in world football i think that these 2 (ben haim and rozenhal) would enable us to worry about other areas (my main worry is the full back positions especially left back).

No disrepect guys, but obviously on forums, some people have no idea who they are talking about, someone says theyre good and thats it. Personally, I have no knowledge about Rozenhal and have only seen short clips of Ben Haim to comment. The latter it seems is quite rated, however how much better are these 2 than say Taylor, Distin or Wes Brown?

No disrepect guys, but obviously on forums, some people have no idea who they are talking about, someone says theyre good and thats it. Personally, I have no knowledge about Rozenhal and have only seen short clips of Ben Haim to comment. The latter it seems is quite rated, however how much better are these 2 than say Taylor, Distin or Wes Brown?

Ben Haim has played in the premiership for the last few years. I've seen plenty of him to know that he's miles better than Wes Brown.

Ben Haim is a good defender who's overrated by the press because of his links with Chelsea, better than anything we've got at the back by some distance though.

If I had to describe him as a player I'd say he was a dirtier version of Carragher, not great with a football at his feet but won't let many past him that easily.

Fuck me. If we get Ben Haim, I might come a little bit. If Rozenhal is cover, that'll be pretty good for starters. Ben Haim & Taylor = Godliness.