Big Sam Big Arsehole

bobbyshinton

What the fuck, taken from .com Sam says

"I'm really happy if we lose every single pre-season friendly . I've done that virtually every year at Bolton, certainly last year we hardly scored a goal and didn't win a game, but we ended up with 20 points from the first ten matches in the Premiership.

"The fans have not got to get too worked up if we lose every pre-season game. It won't be a worry for me and it won't be a worry for the players.

So the fans do they have to pay to see these pre season frendlies. :D

You do have to pay....but you don't have to go, as they don't matter at all.

I'd happily lose every pre-season game 5-0 as long as we won our first game of the season.

Edited by Matty

Anyone forcing anyone to go to the friendlies?

What's more important in pre-season, winning or conditioning?

WHAT?

building confidence, playing good as a team, using a winning system.

So you would be happy if we lost every pre season game

I would imagine there's a fair bit of context miss from that quote.

I doubt he actually WANTS to lose them, but doesn't view winning them as THE important thing.

were going to have a differnt team by the looks of things come pre season so its important for themplayers to gel and prepare for the first game of the season

I think he's almost right. The results aren't important, its about getting fit, conditioned etc. and trying out players, tactics and the like...

But losing all of them would obviously not be great for confidence, individually or collectively, so you'd hope to put in some good performances.

But really, its about what happens once the season kicks of for real and pre-season results will be long forgotten.

Overreaction-tastic. Pre-season friendlies are shit anyway. I'd go for free but that's about it.

When i was a kid i used to be annoyed that we hardly ever seemed to play home pre-season games, now i wouldn't bother going.

But i think they'll get some good crowds this time with new singings, some actualy optimism about where we're going and the like.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Guest alex

Overreaction-tastic. Pre-season friendlies are shit anyway. I'd go for free but that's about it.

When i was a kid i used to be annoyed that we hardly ever seemed to play hoem pre-season games, now i wouldn't bother going.

But i think they'll get some good crowds this time with new singings, some actualy optimism about where we're going and the like.

Under KK it was a bit different like. Worth going then imo. I think the crowds may be canny though. And as you said before, it's not like Allardyce wants us to lose. It's just the result isn't important.

He's spot on really. Pre-season counts for fuck all in the grand scheme of things.

Precisely...

How many pre-seasons have we absolutely mullered every team we've played only for the league season to start very poorly indeed?

Incidents that stick in my mind are the two consecutive years we lost Beardsley in pre-season due to cheek bone fractures and how about the pre-season that Tomasson scored a shed-load and never once turned it on when it really mattered?

He's spot on really. Pre-season counts for fuck all in the grand scheme of things.

Precisely...

How many pre-seasons have we absolutely mullered every team we've played only for the league season to start very poorly indeed?

Incidents that stick in my mind are the two consecutive years we lost Beardsley in pre-season due to cheek bone fractures and how about the pre-season that Tomasson scored a shed-load and never once turned it on when it really mattered?

Shearer's injury in '97 aswell.

Anyone forcing anyone to go to the friendlies?

What's more important in pre-season, winning or conditioning?

WHAT?

building confidence, playing good as a team, using a winning system.

So you would be happy if we lost every pre season game

I wouldn't give a shit tbh, as long as the results started rolling in when it matters.

Full quote:

"We want to build the players up right from a fitness point of view so that we don't get any injuries. "

"We'll keep building up their all-round ability and we will monitor each individual from day one. We won't even be training as a group, it will be individual programmes or small groups.

"Then we will start focusing on the team shape and how we want them to play."

"I'm really happy if we lose every single pre-season friendly . I've done that virtually every year at Bolton, certainly last year we hardly scored a goal and didn't win a game, but we ended up with 20 points from the first ten matches in the Premiership.

"The fans have not got to get too worked up if we lose every pre-season game. It won't be a worry for me and it won't be a worry for the players.

"It's just about us doing the right things and getting ready for the most important thing, which is the whistle blowing on August 11 and winning that first Premiership game, not some meaningless pre-season friendlies."

"We are trying to move our recruitment of players and staff along as quickly as we can, but we are also looking to tie off our pre-season plans as well

"We want to make sure we've got the right games at the right time. We're very disappointed to lose the Ajax tournament.

"It would have been a great tournament to be in for pre-season, but we have to focus on getting the right fixtures in place so that we deliver strength, conditioning and tactical scenarios throughout that.

"While it's a massive football club, its achievement has been minimal over the last few years.

"I'm here to try to change that and we are going to try to get as many things as we can in place for the start of what will be a very important first season for me."

i think he's saying all the right things. he sounds very professional compared with previous managers.

Agreed, given the choice of winning a few preseason friendlies or winning our first 10 Premiership matches, I know which I'd prefer !

Precisely...

Shearer's injury in '97 aswell.

Don't remind me :D

Followed by the massive U-turn by Fred and Doug trying desperately to get Sir Les to stay after all. Not surprisingly, he told them to fuck off!

We should have known then that they were gonna be trouble...

Guest alex

Didn't we lose Beardsley in pre-season one year (done by Neil Ruddock v Liverpool) and then in the first proper match (Leicester away) another time? Or has it happened three times? Both those times were cheek bones anyway iirc. Just being a pedant as usual btw.

Didn't we lose Beardsley in pre-season one year (done by Neil Ruddock v Liverpool) and then in the first proper match (Leicester away) another time? Or has it happened three times? Both those times were cheek bones anyway iirc. Just being a pedant as usual btw.

I was surprised there was no furore over that incident at Leicester. If you look at the replay, the Leicester player (whose name escapes me now, it's been so long. Maggot, I think his name is) 'done' Pedro deliberately imo.