Solano hoping for Peru recall

Scottish Mag

Nolberto Solano has risked further annoying Sam Allardyce by admitting he would be interested in continuing his international career.

But the Peruvian may not get his wish after being left out of this summer's Copa America. And the 32-year-old has no plans to beg coach Julio Cesar Uribe to enable him to add to his 77 caps.

Solano's international career, which began when he was 18, has long been a bone of contention at St James's Park. He had a number of run-ins with Sir Bobby Robson over the issue, which ultimately ended his first spell on Tyneside. The right-winger was transferred to Aston Villa in 2004 after going back on his promise to retire from international football. Robson was concerned at the amount of travelling involved in Solano representing his country in South America.

He retired after disagreements with then-coach Freddy Ternero in 2005 and made himself available again last year - but only if Uribe wants him.

"I am not going to hang a placard on my neck and go down on one knee asking for a recall," said Solano.

"I have always respected the decisions made but I have said the FA board members have to do things better and not change the coach every year.

"I want to make it clear I have never said I don't want to play for the national team again.

"The current coach Julio Cesar Uribe doesn't count on me because I have to report to Newcastle. But I don't know what is going to happen. For the moment the only thing I think is I am not in the coach's plans."

It is not the first time Solano has risked upsetting Allardyce with his public comments. Before the 52-year-old even took charge at St James's Park, Solano spoke out over Bolton's playing style. "Bolton have a very direct style and it's one of the most criticised systems in the Premier League," he noted in May. "Allardyce did good things there but I don't think the Bolton style would suit here.

"If he comes, he should change the style to suit the current Newcastle players."

The Trotters' approach is an oft-used criticism Allardyce feels is unwarranted, arguing his old team were belittled because they were not as glamorous as the sometimes equally direct teams at Liverpool and Chelsea.

He does not seem to have held a grudge, however, with Solano the only senior player offered a new contract by the club after Allardyce's appointment. Titus Bramble, Antione Sibierski, Craig Moore, Olivier Bernard and Pavel Srnicek, who were also out of contract, were all released.

New signing Mark Viduka has also shown his commitment to his country, despite Australia coach Graham Arnold's initial concerns.

Arnold had "some fears" the 31-year-old would miss this summer's Asia Cup, but Viduka was anxious to complete his switch to the Magpies on Thursday in time to join up with Australia.

"These sort of things cross your mind from time to time, there's always something cropping up with the national team in terms of player availability," Arnold said earlier this week.

Viduka was excused the recent game against Uruguay because of tiredness but takes his place in a 23-man Socceroos squad which also includes Middlesbrough goalkeepers Mark Schwarzer and Brad Jones. Moore asked to be omitted while he considers his own future, which could lie either in Australia's A-League or the Far East.

Australia's first game in the competition is on July 8, with the knockout stages running from July 21-29.

Reports in Turkey suggest Newcastle are interested in Fenerbahçe's out-of-contract 25-year-old attacking midfielder Tunçay Sanli. The left-sided player, who featured against Newcastle in last season's Uefa Cup, could fill the hole left by Damien Duff, who is not expected to play before December because of an ankle injury.

Tunçay has scored three goals in nine appearances for Turkey, for whom he played in Tuesday's goalless friendly draw with Brazil in Dortmund.