Slaven gutted with Viduka exit

Matty

Slaven gutted by Viduka defection

Former Middlesbrough star Bernie Slaven is as devastated by Mark Viduka's defection to Newcastle as he was by Mo Johnston's mould-breaking transfer to Rangers.

Boro manager Gareth Southgate's summer rebuilding plans were thrown into turmoil when the 31-year-old Australian signed for the Magpies after rejecting a contract extension at the Riverside Stadium.

"Losing him (Viduka) would have been disappointing anyway, but losing him to our north-east rivals, as a Boro fan, I am absolutely gutted," said Slaven. "I was brought up in Glasgow as a Celtic fan and the last time I felt like this was when Mo Johnston had posed with a Celtic shirt and then ended up going to Rangers."

He added: "There was chaos in Glasgow at the time. There maybe won't be the same level of feeling at Boro, but it is hard to take when one of your top players is taken by one of your biggest rivals.

"It's bad enough losing him, but him going just up the road is gut-wrenching."

As Sam Allardyce finally got his hands on a man his predecessor Glenn Roeder had been trailing for a year, Southgate was facing the task of replacing his leading scorer, with the emotions of his club's fans in stark contrast to those of their counterparts a few miles up the A19.

Boro insist they made Viduka an "outstanding" offer to stay put, and Slaven does not relish Southgate's task in replacing a man whose retention he believes would have been as significant as the £7million capture of Real Madrid defender Jonathan Woodgate.

He said: "Getting Woodgate was fantastic, but getting Viduka would have been just as good for me.

"He will be a big loss because he is a smashing player. He's got a presence, an exceptional first touch, he scores goals, makes goals.

"He is one hell of a player and I do not know how we are going to replace him."

If there's one former player I can't fucking stand, it's Bernie Slaven.

Aren't match summarisers supposed to be impartial? What's all this "we" and "us" about? Even Shearer doesn't talk like that about Newcastle which are his home-town club!

Tough shit you fucking weasel!

Downing next i reckon, woodgate must be kicking himself

By the end of nexts eason Woodgate will realise he made a big mistake and will likely be looking to move elsewhere, providing he's had a relatively injury free season.

And its hilarious that Slaven is gutted as he's a sad, bitter little man where NUFC are concerned, just like the smogs he represents!