England squad to play for nothing

Happy Face

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/6736783.stm

England's footballers have decided to play for the national team for free - and donate their match fees to charity.

The squad are to establish a Team England Footballers Charity, which will raise more than £1m before the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"Every player to a man is looking forward to supporting this charity," said England skipper John Terry.

Football Association chief Brian Barwick added: "I am very pleased the whole squad has taken this initiative."

The project has been co-ordinated by 1966 Entertainment - owned by David Beckham's manager Terry Byrne and Simon Fuller - which won the rights to manage the players' commercial affairs last August.

Byrne told the Daily Mirror: "I am not going to say we are saving the world or that we should have haloes fitted but as a group the England players wanted to make a difference.

"Some people will look at this and say, 'what is £50,000 to someone who can earn that in a week?'.

"But the players didn't have to do this, they chose to. They wanted to do some good."

The charities set to benefit include the Association of Children's Hospices, WellChild, the Bobby Moore Fund and the Professional Footballers Association Charity Initiatives.

Stephanie Moore, widow of Bobby, said: "I'm overjoyed that the England squad has chosen to support the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK.

"I know that Bobby would have been delighted."

In addition to their match fees, the players are expected to undertake additional charitable activities including a grassroots initiative to help disadvantaged youth teams.

Fair play to them, bet a few are gutted though.

Edited by Happy Face

Shouldn't be paid to play for their country in the first place.

You'd think the money would go to the player's club, since England are basically hiring the player.

Being what it is, it's good of them though.

Edited by Happy Face

They shouldn't be getting paid a penny in this day and age for internationals, considering what they earn.

However they are and they didn't have to do this at all, so its a nice gesture from them all.

They shouldn't be getting paid a penny in this day and age for internationals, considering what they earn.

However they are and they didn't have to do this at all, so its a nice gesture from them all.

Exactly.