Owens Newcastle Future

highpants

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he 'hedging his bets' or is he saying nothing simply because there's nothing to say?

If there's nothing to say then why would both the chairman and manager come out and comment on it?

Because the press are continually pressing them for a comment. I doubt very much that Allardyce picked up a phone, called a journalist and told him that straight out. The question will have been put to him.

When was the last time Owen was interviewed and asked specifically about his position at NUFC?

I'd be very surprised if the media didn't want to ask him about his future while on England duty, he had ample opportunity then to deny the stories but obviously warned them against questioning him on it.

Exactly. It's unusual and a bit suspect when you ban all NUFC related questions.

So you know for sure that he banned all questions about NUFC being asked?? Surely that would be a media story in itself. ;)

More likely that the national press are more interested in asking him about England while he's on duty for them. I don't remember them quizzing Lampard about his position at Chelsea which is equally in question - do you think he banned them too?

Questions are always negotiated by the pr bloke before interviews start.

Bottom line is he'd be away if he got the nod from the big four. In the meantime if we keep him he'll do a professional job.

In any event I reckon Sam will judge the scenario better than either of Owen's two previous managers at SJP and we will not be as badly prejudiced as we would have been if he'd swanned off half way through a season under Roeder or Souness.

Is he 'hedging his bets' or is he saying nothing simply because there's nothing to say?

If there's nothing to say then why would both the chairman and manager come out and comment on it?

Because the press are continually pressing them for a comment. I doubt very much that Allardyce picked up a phone, called a journalist and told him that straight out. The question will have been put to him.

When was the last time Owen was interviewed and asked specifically about his position at NUFC?

I'd be very surprised if the media didn't want to ask him about his future while on England duty, he had ample opportunity then to deny the stories but obviously warned them against questioning him on it.

Exactly. It's unusual and a bit suspect when you ban all NUFC related questions.

So you know for sure that he banned all questions about NUFC being asked?? Surely that would be a media story in itself. ;)

More likely that the national press are more interested in asking him about England while he's on duty for them. I don't remember them quizzing Lampard about his position at Chelsea which is equally in question - do you think he banned them too?

Ater his radio5 interview the interviewer said that they were told in advance no questions about NUFC

Probably wanted to concentrate on the matter in hand than the one back at home - first competitive game back and all....

Not wanting to talk about something does not automatically state that there is a negative reason for it. As has been said, he's under contract. If he's going to break that contract, he's going to HAVE to open his mouth.

Until he does so, he's our player - if we keep pushing him, we'll probably drive him out.

Ater his radio5 interview the interviewer said that they were told in advance no questions about NUFC

Probably wanted to concentrate on the matter in hand than the one back at home - first competitive game back and all....

Not wanting to talk about something does not automatically state that there is a negative reason for it. As has been said, he's under contract. If he's going to break that contract, he's going to HAVE to open his mouth.

Until he does so, he's our player - if we keep pushing him, we'll probably drive him out.

He obviously wants to leave for a top four club, but he doesnt HAVE to open his mouth at all, he can get his journalist friends to do that. Its not a case of us driving him out at all. To think he his not orchestrating much of the press coverage is very niave

Having said that if he doesnt get the move he wants at least he is proffesional enough to not let it affect his performance.

Because it would end all the speculation Craig. At the moment he's hedging his bets by saying fuck all which suggests he fancies a move away. I can't blame him for that but while I would love him to stay (under certain conditions) I think the continuing speculation isn't doing the club much good which is my main concern.

The press are making a mountain out of a molehill IMO and they're playing with the fans securities by doing so.

Until he comes out and says he no longer wants to play for us and wants to move away, he's our player and will get my full support. A fully fit Michael Owen who is firing on all cylinders is one of the best striking assets this league has ever seen. People who are saying they want him to "fuck off" simply because he's not publically wanking over NUFC (which unlike Shearer, he has no emotional ties to), need to get a grip tbh.

I understand the concern you have with regards to the effect on the club, but that's the media for you and something that the club's press office should be dealing with.

You my friend are a prize pillock, of course hes hedging his bets, he was quick to come out and defend himself when he was caught slagging us to Erickson, thats because he was not in a position where his clause was a cert to be activated if he so wished, get rid of the little money grabbing shit now, i wonder if youll defend him if he goes at 11.45pm on the 31-08-07.

What about N'Zogbia and Martins? Have they both said they're happy to stay now?

I think we're on slightly less solid ground demanding that Zog comes out and pledges his future to the club given his experience of the last few seasons.

With Owen you're talking about paying someone 100k per week and also guaranteeing him a starting place-an all but unique position of serious privilige.

I think we're on slightly less solid ground demanding that Zog comes out and pledges his future to the club given his experience of the last few seasons.

With Owen you're talking about paying someone 100k per week and also guaranteeing him a starting place-an all but unique position of serious privilige.

It has gone very quiet on Zog and Martins. I think Martins is here to stay unless Big Sam fancied cashing in, and since neither Sam or Zog have said anything i'm hoping it means he's happy to stay under the new management and hopefully get back to looking like he did a while back instead of the shambles last season!

Guest Albuquerque

Martins' antics last season suggests to me he won't be here next season. Italian press reckon he could be off to Juve. N'Zogbia is anyone's guess. Personally, I'd rather we keep both players and use N'Zogbia as a central midfielder should we decide to cash in on the Turkish tubster.

To be honest, I wasn't comparing. Just wondered.

Because it would end all the speculation Craig. At the moment he's hedging his bets by saying fuck all which suggests he fancies a move away. I can't blame him for that but while I would love him to stay (under certain conditions) I think the continuing speculation isn't doing the club much good which is my main concern.

The press are making a mountain out of a molehill IMO and they're playing with the fans securities by doing so.

Until he comes out and says he no longer wants to play for us and wants to move away, he's our player and will get my full support. A fully fit Michael Owen who is firing on all cylinders is one of the best striking assets this league has ever seen. People who are saying they want him to "fuck off" simply because he's not publically wanking over NUFC (which unlike Shearer, he has no emotional ties to), need to get a grip tbh.

I understand the concern you have with regards to the effect on the club, but that's the media for you and something that the club's press office should be dealing with.

You my friend are a prize pillock, of course hes hedging his bets, he was quick to come out and defend himself when he was caught slagging us to Erickson, thats because he was not in a position where his clause was a cert to be activated if he so wished, get rid of the little money grabbing shit now, i wonder if youll defend him if he goes at 11.45pm on the 31-08-07.

Why would I need to defend him? He won't have broken the law, he'd had exercised a clause in a legally binding contract which both he and the club have agreed to. If he chooses to go then, then so be it and good luck to him. Until then, he is still our player and therefore will get my support.

However, if he's still a Newcastle United at 00.05 on 01-09-07 will you accept you were wrong? ;)

Why would I need to defend him? He won't have broken the law, he'd had exercised a clause in a legally binding contract which both he and the club have agreed to. If he chooses to go then, then so be it and good luck to him. Until then, he is still our player and therefore will get my support.

However, if he's still a Newcastle United at 00.05 on 01-09-07 will you accept you were wrong? ;)

No, because then the little shit will piss off in January for even less money

What i find totally laughable is the fact the fat bastard spent 17mil on him then let this clause be inserted...joke tbh and thats why Mr Ashley will put his foot up the fat bastards arse at the first opportunity.

Some businessman you Freddy

What i find totally laughable is the fact the fat bastard spent 17mil on him then let this clause be inserted...joke tbh and thats why Mr Ashley will put his foot up the fat bastards arse at the first opportunity.

Just wish it would sort itself out. Prefer him to go rather than hang about to put himself in the shop window for something better.

Very good player but not keen on players who arent committed to the club. Not many do it for the love of it but I just feel his heart isnt in it. Cant blame him after the shambles he has seen in the 2 years he has been here. 3 managers (two of whom were incompetent), a takeover and a very average squad.

If I was him I would be looking for better. Maybe the Ashley thing will change his mind but he should be at his peak at this stage of his career.

Anyway, we'll buy someone else if he goes so not too fussed. Not like Ashley is short of a quid or two or that Sam isnt aware that he may have to buy.

The point I was hoping to get some people to arrive at. It's not Owen's fault it's there. It's the club's. They agreed to it and it just shows the amount of desperation we were showing at the time we signed him.

Just wish it would sort itself out. Prefer him to go rather than hang about to put himself in the shop window for something better.

Very good player but not keen on players who arent committed to the club. Not many do it for the love of it but I just feel his heart isnt in it. Cant blame him after the shambles he has seen in the 2 years he has been here. 3 managers (two of whom were incompetent), a takeover and a very average squad.

If I was him I would be looking for better. Maybe the Ashley thing will change his mind but he should be at his peak at this stage of his career.

Anyway, we'll buy someone else if he goes so not too fussed. Not like Ashley is short of a quid or two or that Sam isnt aware that he may have to buy.

Aye the greedy little fuckbag will have pound signs in his eyes now I bet. I would rather he just went. We can now afford better.

We didnt buy him for 17m (or 16m for that matter).

This is about the third or fourth time you've posted this Laz - come on stump up, besides a hell of a lot of grief, what did Owen cost us?

This is about the third or fourth time you've posted this Laz - come on stump up, besides a hell of a lot of grief, what did Owen cost us?

Part of owens transfer fee was offset against money owed from the woodgate deal.

it wouldnt surprise me that all we paid for owen was 9m up front with the rest from the woodgate deal.

9m of course - is the rumoured release fee in owens contract.

I dont know how the suits do the reporting - but we may have lost money on the woodgate deal, rather than the owen deal.

Part of owens transfer fee was offset against money owed from the woodgate deal.

it wouldnt surprise me that all we paid for owen was 9m up front with the rest from the woodgate deal.

I dont know how the suits do the reporting - but we may have lost money on the woodgate deal, rather than the owen deal.

i imagine you're right, but that money was still owed to us. just because it was a debt doesn't mean it wasn't real money. the fee in total, including the woodgate deal was widely reported to be around the £16m mark so if we let him go for his release clause, i still see us making a £7m loss.

i imagine you're right, but that money was still owed to us. just because it was a debt doesn't mean it wasn't real money. the fee in total, including the woodgate deal was widely reported to be around the £16m mark so if we let him go for his release clause, i still see us making a £7m loss.

Of course a loss is still a loss - but the accountants might write it off as a loss on the woodgate deal.