Niall Quinn Article

Gemmill

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people who dont drink are tee total. people who dont eat meat are vegetarians. people who dont drink, smoke and do drugs are atraight edge. hardly bandying about a label. and i didnt bring it up. you did. the only time i mentioned it on here was when people asked.  :unsure:

27541[/snapback]

No, people who don't smoke, drink and do drugs don't smoke drink or do drugs. I would fit into that category for large chunks of my adult life if it weren't for the drugs bit, and even so have fit into that category at times. Doing so because that's what you want to do, fair enough, doing so because some random people tell you to? That's something different. Funny thing is, you don't even qualify.

You would have heard nothing from me if you hadn't labelled a decent bloke an alcoholic, especially in the manner that you did. I just found it amusing considering your own position, but then you seem to feel the need to label things. I guess it makes it simpler for you.

I've come at you a bit hard because I'm pissed off with what you said but have a think about it, maybe you'll get something out of it.

Edited by DotBum

No, people who don't smoke, drink and do drugs don't smoke drink or do drugs

so people who dont eat meat arent vegetarians? just people who dont eat meat?

if it weren't for the drugs bit

thats cos you are cool

doing so because some random people tell you to?

whos this random that told me too? it was my choice, i wasnt told.

Funny thing is, you don't even qualify

how come?

labelled a decent bloke an alcoholic

know him do you? cos i have friends that do. maybe thats why my opinion is more informed than yours

you seem to feel the need to label things.  I guess it makes it simpler for you.

If thats some sort of dig at me, well done, labelling a decent bloke like me :D with a degree, and a beautiful girlfriend, whos just been paid to travel america for major league soccer. but i know im a total loser cos i dont drink or do drugs :)

I'm pissed off

had away! :o

have a think about it, maybe you'll get something out of it

ive thought long and hard and the only thing i got out of it is i realised you are easily riled and not very comfortable with people dissimilar to yourself. the straight edge cul....community and I forgive you my friend :unsure:

From J69's point of view he may be.  What's that cult you're in again J69?

And no Niall Quinn is not an alcoholic as far as I'm aware.

27288[/snapback]

Blyth Spartans?

people who dont drink are tee total. people who dont eat meat are vegetarians. people who dont drink, smoke and do drugs are atraight edge. hardly bandying about a label. and i didnt bring it up. you did. the only time i mentioned it on here was when people asked.  :unsure:

27541[/snapback]

Thats the problem with straight edge though. To me and the kids who I knew who were straight edge you wouldnt be if thats all you abstained from. There's the casual sex part and being vegan too. Most people grow out of it though, most of the bands did, the kids who followed them aren't any different.

27547[/snapback]

depends on your definition? if you are reverting back to the very beginning and going off minor threats 'straight edge' then that doesnt mention anything about veganism? to me straight edge is about not altering your state of mind to have a good time. I go clubbing, to the pub etc. 3 or 4 times a week with my mates and have an awesome time without drinks or drugs. I dont feel safe sex has any bearing on that. like i a said in another therad somewhere, when im in a realtionship im monogomous and when im not i practise safe sex. i cant see whats immoral in that.

and as for being a kid who will grow out of it, im 23 and havent actively told people 'im straight edge' since i was about 18. im just a guy who doesnt drink. I just thought my avatar was a cool picture. its obviously riling some people for whatever reason. if i couldnt give 2 fucks that you lot drink so why should people care so much that i dont drink?

From J69's point of view he may be.  What's that cult you're in again J69?

And no Niall Quinn is not an alcoholic as far as I'm aware.

27288[/snapback]

Blyth Spartans?

27588[/snapback]

we must be brainwashed to see that shit play some weeks. we are doing alright so far though :unsure:

27541[/snapback]

Thats the problem with straight edge though. To me and the kids who I knew who were straight edge you wouldnt be if thats all you abstained from. There's the casual sex part and being vegan too. Most people grow out of it though, most of the bands did, the kids who followed them aren't any different.

27547[/snapback]

depends on your definition? if you are reverting back to the very beginning and going off minor threats 'straight edge' then that doesnt mention anything about veganism? to me straight edge is about not altering your state of mind to have a good time. I go clubbing, to the pub etc. 3 or 4 times a week with my mates and have an awesome time without drinks or drugs. I dont feel safe sex has any bearing on that. like i a said in another therad somewhere, when im in a realtionship im monogomous and when im not i practise safe sex. i cant see whats immoral in that.

and as for being a kid who will grow out of it, im 23 and havent actively told people 'im straight edge' since i was about 18. im just a guy who doesnt drink. I just thought my avatar was a cool picture. its obviously riling some people for whatever reason. if i couldnt give 2 fucks that you lot drink so why should people care so much that i dont drink?

27589[/snapback]

I couldnt care less if you drink or not, I was just pointing out the reality of the scene. Thats the way it always has been and will be.I dont smoke or do drugs (at the time) but Ive had a drink at shows and you'd think I'd killed someone with one the looks I got. Luckilly Im big enough that you really have to think about having a go, Ive seen other kids get some real shit. The origins of straight edge dont come from Mackaye's song , there were people with them beliefs before he wrote it, it just gave them a label, a name. You might also want to recall the lyrics to 'Out of step' too

(i) don't smoke

don't drink

don't f**k

at least i can f**king think

i can't keep up

i can't keep up

i can't keep up

out of step with the world

Your choices are your choices and fair play to you its not often I get talk about this and I really loved scene at the time. Theres always been the elititst those who abstain from everything then look down on everyone else and then that kind of filters down. I think the general consensus is straight edge means a life without intoxication, which includes casual sex, veganism is a bit more hardcore true.

well if anyone is daft enough to have a go at you for having a drink il happily join forces with you and kick shit out of them :unsure: dont think theres much of a scene in newcastle these days (if ever) and even if there was i wouldnt be part of it. like i said, its a lifestyle choice i made on my own. not some club i want to join. my family, friends and girlfriend all drink. got nowt to do with me.

Straight edge is not a universally accepted term, vegetarian is

thats cos you are cool

If you think there's something cool about taking drugs that's your hang up.

You know who coined the term.

how come?

Because by your own admission you like casual sex, which 'straight edgers' generally abstain from

know him do you? cos i have friends that do. maybe thats why my opinion is more informed than yours

I know a few in the Ireland setup, probably why I took it a little personally

you seem to feel the need to label things.  I guess it makes it simpler for you.

If thats some sort of dig at me, well done, labelling a decent bloke like me :D with a degree, and a beautiful girlfriend, whos just been paid to travel america for major league soccer. but i know im a total loser cos i dont drink or do drugs :)

This bit really made me laugh, a pissing contest. I didn't realise she was your girlfriend though - maybe you should treat her less like a piece of meat.

I'm pissed off

ive thought long and hard and the only thing i got out of it is i realised you are easily riled and not very comfortable with people dissimilar to yourself. the straight edge cul....community and I forgive you my friend :unsure:

You have a hang up about drink & drugs, something you're accusing people in this thread of. The funny thing is at the moment I don't drink, smoke, do drugs or eat meat and I've been monogamous for over 6 years so I'm more 'straight edge' than you are, but I think it's a silly children's club and would never use the term. If you can't see the difference between just doing something because it's what you want to do and needing a badge to go with it I can't help you.

27587[/snapback]

Straight edge is not a universally accepted term, vegetarian is

oh ok, sorry, how uncouth of me to use a term that isnt universally accepted

thats cos you are cool

If you think there's something cool about taking drugs that's your hang up.

answering sarcasm with sarcasm, clever :D

You know who coined the term.

yes i do. never met him though and cant remember him 'telling' me to do anything

how come?

Because by your own admission you like casual sex, which 'straight edgers' generally abstain from

generally, but not always. like i said before, me not drinking and doing drugs is a lifestyle choice, not trying to be accepted into a club

I know a few in the Ireland setup, probably why I took it a little personally

give them a call then, they might tell you the same. ps, im a little bit jealous now

If thats some sort of dig at me, well done, labelling a decent bloke like me :) with a degree, and a beautiful girlfriend, whos just been paid to travel america for major league soccer. but i know im a total loser cos i dont drink or do drugs :P

This bit really made me laugh, a pissing contest. I didn't realise she was your girlfriend though - maybe you should treat her less like a piece of meat.

also forgot to tell you i had a good sense of humour. you are a pretty awesome bloke, sticking up for womens rights too! once again, why should my relationship with my girlfriend be of any concern to you. and how exactly do i treat her like a piece of meat? posting a headless picture? this bit really made me laugh! you obviously have great insight into my realtionship with my girlfriend over what you have read on an internet forum.

I'm pissed off

You have a hang up about drink & drugs, something you're accusing people in this thread of. The funny thing is at the moment I don't drink, smoke, do drugs or eat meat and I've been monogamous for over 6 years so I'm more 'straight edge' than you are, but I think it's a silly children's club and would never use the term. If you can't see the difference between just doing something because it's what you want to do and needing a badge to go with it I can't help you.

how do i have a hang up? my friends, family and girlfriend all drink and i dont have an issue with it at all. once again, me not drinking or doing drugs is a personal lifestyle choice, not me trying to be accepted into a club. a 'silly childrens club' at that. i dont use a badge to go with it. i liked the picture and thought id use it as an avatar. you brought it up. i dont think i actually called my self staright edge face to face with anyone since i was 17 or 18. and i dont recall asking for your help, but thanks for the offer

27587[/snapback]

27628[/snapback]

no, just dont like people ive never met having a go at me. you wouldnt do it if you met me in person so why hide behind a computer screen?

27636[/snapback]

Actually if you'd said the things you said to me in person I would have a go at you. Try to stop making assumptions there for one minute, will you.

Although in person you'd realise how much of a piss taker I am.

Woooh...  :razz:

I'm confused now...is 'Straight Edge' some sort of recognised lifestyle choice? I'm not taking the piss or sides here, this just seems to have passed me by. Must be something to do with being nearer 30 than 20...

28239[/snapback]

Ditto, what the fuck's going on in this thread? :D

Aye I got a bit lost as well.  What the hell is "straight edge"?  First time I've ever heard of it.  Mind it doesn't sound like something I'd be particularly interested in. :razz:

28249[/snapback]

Nah, it sounds propa shit doesn't it?

nowt to do with age Im over 30. Straight edge is a youth movement that was born out the U.S hardcore (punk not dance) scene in the 80's. While not ahering to the beliefs myself I loved the music and the scene for its passion and its political and social message. Zach de la Rocha , the lead singer from Rage against the Machine, started out in SE band called Inside Out.

google is your friend..

Straight-edge refers to a philosophy that's most basic tenets promote a drug free lifestyle. It developed as an offshoot of the punk rock/hardcore scenes of the early 1980's when the term itself is believed to have been coined by Ian Mackaye, in the self titled song, while he was the singer of the seminal hardcore band, Minor Threat. Mackaye eschewed the nihilistic tendencies of punk rock, promoting instead the simple (almost simplistic) philosophy of "don't drink/ don't smoke/ don't fuck."

In the 12 years since the demise of Minor Threat, these simple beliefs have transformed the minds of scores of teens worldwide. Increasingly disenchanted with societal ills, young men and women adopt the straight-edge doctrine as a blueprint to better first themselves, and then the world in which they live. While the original definition of straight-edge only included the rejection of mind altering substances and promiscuous sex, modern interpretations include a vegetarian (or vegan) diet and an increasing involvement and awareness of environmental and political issues.

As noted, straight-edge grew out of the punk rock/hardcore scene and so music plays an important role. The Teen Idles, an early 80's Washington, DC hardcore band, and something of a precursor to Minor Threat, can arguably be called the first straight-edge band. Since that time there have been hundreds if not thousands of bands who've so labeled themselves. Early bands included Minor Threat, SSD and Uniform Choice. In the mid to late 80's, straight-edge hardcore reached a zenith, especially in the greater Metropolitan area of New York City. This atmosphere led to the creation of Gorilla Biscuits, Bold, Wide Awake and arguably the most prolific band of the era, Youth of Today. While the bands of this period did much to popularize straight-edge, they also contributed to its closeminded and antagonistic aspects. The attitude between straight-edge and the rest of the world often took on adversarial tones during this time, largely becoming "The positive youth crew versus people who drink, smoke and/or do drugs." Many people dislike straight-edge and its adherents because of such intolerant views.

Straight-edge today, while nothing like the "halcyon" days "back in '88," still offers a viable and positive lifestyle. Bands such as Strife, Mouthpiece, Earth Crisis and Snapcase, continue to proliferate and bear the standard. While its detractors often claim that straight-edge(rs) are no more than suburbanite, cliquish, fashion victims, few can argue that the philosophy is still valid. The drug-free lifestyle has left its positive impact on more than one wayward youth. Perhaps the ideals and ideas are more pertinent today than ever as the focus begins to reach beyond affecting merely oneself to altering and improving one's society and environment.

27587[/snapback]

A faint whiff of bull methinks.

27587[/snapback]

A faint whiff of bull methinks.

28346[/snapback]

You'll love my comment on knowing lads in the Ireland setup then!