Can we now...

MrMiyagi

... with our new found money attract the top bracket of players? Chelsea couldn't attract players on the level of Ballack and Shevchenko before their takeover, so now that we're being taken over by a billionaire ourselves, can we really start aiming world class? Or will we always be second choice to the top, top players?

Possibly in time. Not without European competition.

The top players will really only want to play for a club that is challenging at the highest level, i.e. their domestic league and the Champions League.

So even if/when we get into the UEFA Cup, we still wouldn't be able to attract the top level of players.

As I've said before, if Ashley wants NUFC to be a global brand he'll need to finance the signings of world famous players, to be fair we've not done too bad when it comes to signing big named players in the past.

Its easier to attract a higher cailbre of player to London. So we have to be that little bit better to do so. Of the names you mention, I think we'd need regular champions league to even think about it. So, not for some time yet.

As I've said before, if Ashley wants NUFC to be a global brand he'll need to finance the signings of world famous players, to be fair we've not done too bad when it comes to signing big named players in the past.

Shearer is the only big name player I can remember in recent times that we've signed in whilst actually in his prime though. We need to sign the top players whilst the other top clubs do still want them, and not just rehome them whilst they're on their decline.

Shearer is the only big name player I can remember in recent times that we've signed in whilst actually in his prime though. We need to sign the top players whilst the other top clubs do still want them, and not just rehome them whilst they're on their decline.

owen?

I think it's a case of walk before you run.

attracting good players should come before aiming for world class players, simply because aiming for the Henrys of the world is a waste of time at the moment.

owen?

... was in his prime in his first few seasons at Liverpool imo.

owen?

I disagree. Woodgate's another one though.

Owen, Kluivert, Shearer, Emre, Duff.

Not in his prime, on the decline, accepted, not exactly 'world class', and again, in decline and again not exactly 'world class'.

He said 'big name players' though.

owen?

I disagree. Woodgate's another one though.

Again wasn't really a world famous world class household name at the time though was he.

When I talk about world class players, I was asking if we'll be able to attract players like Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Kaka. Fucking world class players, not Damien bastard Duff!

I know. I was only saying Jimbo mentioned big name players. You were the one who stuck the extra criteria on top. And calm down Thompers :lol:

By the way, this question came from being slightly underwhelmed. We've a club about to be taken over by a billionaire, and we've being linked to Nicky Shorey and a couple of defenders that nobody's heard of. All fine and dandy if they're good players, but it's hardly the spending spree that Ranieri went on when Chelsea were bought by a billionaire is it?

By the way, this question came from being slightly underwhelmed. We've a club about to be taken over by a billionaire, and we've being linked to Nicky Shorey and a couple of defenders that nobody's heard of. All fine and dandy if they're good players, but it's hardly the spending spree that Ranieri went on when Chelsea were bought by a billionaire is it?

Chelsea are the only club to have done that so dramatically. Plus they were in a better state players-wise than we are now. Liverpool and Villa haven't gone beserk so far yet either and they've been in new ownership longer. I know what you mean but I think steady improvement is the way forward and there's no guarentee we'll have anything like what Chelsea have had to spend.

Guest Patrokles

What seems somewhat to have been missed by a couple is that the Henrys, Eto'os, Ronaldinhos, et al all started off at smaller clubs or in smaller roles, and have only become recognisably 'world class' after they moved. Therefore, we shouldn't be looking to buy players who are already known by the entire universe to be 'world class' (however thompers, in his infinite wisdom wants to define that) but those who have all the required attributes to establish them as this type of player. Look at Wenger. Arsenal aren't, in my opinion, as capable as Manchester United or Chelsea or Real Madrid, or Barca when it comes to attracting players who are acknowledged superstars, but Wenger has unearthed some world-class talent for relative peanuts.

Chelsea are the only club to have done that so dramatically. Plus they were in a better state players-wise than we are now. Liverpool and Villa haven't gone beserk so far yet either and they've been in new ownership longer. I know what you mean but I think steady improvement is the way forward and there's no guarentee we'll have anything like what Chelsea have had to spend.

I agree with the steady improvement part but part of me wonders how such average players are going to help us be where we need to be. I don't think Big Sam realises that we're not Bolton, that we're not a small club looking to over achieve, but an under achieving big club looking to achieve. I don't think that his Bolton methods are necessarily going to adapt well here.

What seems somewhat to have been missed by a couple is that the Henrys, Eto'os, Ronaldinhos, et al all started off at smaller clubs or in smaller roles, and have only become recognisably 'world class' after they moved. Therefore, we shouldn't be looking to buy players who are already known by the entire universe to be 'world class' (however thompers, in his infinite wisdom wants to define that) but those who have all the required attributes to establish them as this type of player. Look at Wenger. Arsenal aren't, in my opinion, as capable as Manchester United or Chelsea or Real Madrid, or Barca when it comes to attracting players who are acknowledged superstars, but Wenger has unearthed some world-class talent for relative peanuts.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have a scouting process and be looking to unearth our own player. But the question was can we now attract already world class players, that aren't just leaving their current club because they're no longer wanted.

Speaking of Ranieri's spending spree, who did he buy for them?

Joe Cole

Gallas

Petit

Parker

Glen Johnson

Bridge

Makalele

Frank Lampard

Veron - crap

Mutu - crap/coke face

Crespo - crap/dissinterested

Zenden - crap

Gronkjaer

Duff

Some good signings there, but Crespo, Mutu and Veron must have been around £50mill down the crapper though.

Edited by Barney