Bent Snubs Wham

JaMoUsE

Good to see Darren Bent turn down West Ham. Even though they offered £75,000 a week, who says money is everything? I dont think he will be at charlton next year though. So where is he going? I think maybe Spurs if Defoe leaves

Seventy five grand a week! For fuck's sake!

This new TV deal has a lot to answer for, the money is going mental.

Seventy five grand a week! For fuck's sake!

This new TV deal has a lot to answer for, the money is going mental.

I think it's beyond a joke now. Yes theres money in the game (from television fans subscriptions and advertising revenue) and of course the players are due their share but it's time to acknowledge the part that other factors play in creating the experience and strike a proper balance.

Let's face it, half of the matches for most of the teams in the Prem are shit, so the 'the players are the entertainers' argument goes out of the window to a degree. Theyre benefitting because people watch the games because they have a blind loyalty to a team, not because they are mesmerised by the individual players-that only applies to a very small handful. If that line of argument was consistently applied by the clubs and they had a policy that more of the cash should go back in to eg subsidising matchgoing fans (who also contribute to the 'entertainment' might I add) then it would put them in a much stronger position. How could the players argue against that?

Thats my view anyways.

Football has got daft tbh Darren Bent is a better than average player but the money being asked in transfer fees is ludicrous. The players wages are getting dafter by the minute.

Billionaires have popped up at Chelsea, Man U, Newcastle, Liverpool, WHU, Villa maybe Blackburn, Birmingham....

How long can it last though? I struggle to see the return that many (including Ashley) are getting on their investment when the money swilling about is inflating player wages and prices the way they are.

It might open up the league a bit as more and more clubs have the financial clout to muscle their way into the top 4. Plenty cash from TV at the moment and none of these fellas made their money from being daft. Hopefully its not a short term thing. Long term we may make money but its going to be hard when transfer fees and wages are spiralling the way they are.

Fucking mental that a second tier club can offer those wages now.

Agreed, but it is comforting that he turned them down despite the the £75K a week, perhaps money isn't everything afterall.

until he signs for Spuds for £80k a week. :wub:

If the Premiership keeps going the way it is the role of matchgoing fans will be reduced to a virtual irrelevance.

They need the matchgoing fans more than you give credit for. Imagine the 'spectacle' of every game played behind closed doors. It would look hideous and would put armchair viewers off.

I agree with your point. But do fans still feel as they are part of the game, or merely observing from a distance?

The matchgoing fan is being distanced more by the globalisation of the game. Times, ticketing etc are dictated by TV and commerce more and more.

Its a crock of shit to say that money hasnt won teams trophies in the past: Liverpool and Man Utd both broke the transfer record with regularity before SKY came along but its not as organic as it was. I think that takes something away from the game and the fans.

The income from fans is important but the passive fans will contribute almost as significantly when broadband matches on demand comes along (with any level of quality).

I agree with your point. But do fans still feel as they are part of the game, or merely observing from a distance?

The matchgoing fan is being distanced more by the globalisation of the game. Times, ticketing etc are dictated by TV and commerce more and more.

Its a crock of shit to say that money hasnt won teams trophies in the past: Liverpool and Man Utd both broke the transfer record with regularity before SKY came along but its not as organic as it was. I think that takes something away from the game and the fans.

The income from fans is important but the passive fans will contribute almost as significantly when broadband matches on demand comes along (with any level of quality).

Yet they remain intrinsic to it's appeal to the TV audience. There is no other way for the armchair fan to propoerly engage with what theyre seeing.

Piped sound effects could be the future.

Good to see Darren Bent turn down West Ham. Even though they offered £75,000 a week, who says money is everything? I dont think he will be at charlton next year though. So where is he going? I think maybe Spurs if Defoe leaves

that was Andrew Ridgely you thick twat

that was Andrew Ridgely you thick twat

woohoo only 2 hours 44 minutes and 14 posts after that one was originally made. :wub:

As for the role of fans, as the amount of money made by clubs increases due to television rights and merchandising then so the percentage made through ticket sales drops. It is possible that it becomes so insignificant that clubs will stop needing that cash and reduce their prices to ensure bigger crowds.

Maybe we could end up with football becoming an almost free sport to watch in the way that studio audiences get into television shows for free to provide that atmosphere Mancy hints at with his post on piped sound effects.

Agreed, but it is comforting that he turned them down despite the the £75K a week, perhaps money isn't everything afterall.

until he signs for Spuds for £80k a week. :blush:

Spuds have a tough wage structure.

until he signs for Spuds for £80k a week. :blush:

Top earner (Keane I think) is reputedly on £40k a week. It makes you wonder how he makes ends meet.

until he signs for Spuds for £80k a week. :lol:

Top earner (Keane I think) is reputedly on £40k a week. It makes you wonder how he makes ends meet.

The top earners were on 40k ish....

"Wham : Bent taking the Micheal?"

:blush: