BT Home hub

JawD

Anyone use it?

Ive just changed it from my old adsl router (that was fine really, I just went for the extra wooshyness).

Im not using it as wireless, Ive connected using ethernet.

The hub says my speed is about 4.6GB download and .5GB upload (is this normal for an upload?).

But, when I use the speedtest site, it says my download is about 950 kb/s ? I went to a site to download a pdf, and from there I was getting about 85kb/s

Anyone got any idea? I was expecting a faster d/l speed or am I mistaken?

Oh, and if anyone is thinking of the bt home hub, it installs a bunch of shitty software thats a complete waste of resources. Im busy trying to disable them and the crapy browser it wants you to use....

:blush:

i would say something is up, this is my status screen, i didnt install any of the software BT provided as i suspected it would load up aload of crap, 448 kps is about the fastest upload speed you'd be getting adsl

btdb3.jpg

your not confusing speed with Data Transmitted and Data Received are you?

Edited by themags

Probably the best thing to do is do a speed test with hub and then swap back to your old router and check again. At least you can then rule out if you have a faulty Hub as they are known for being shite. Are you getting any other problems on your line like noisey phone calls? Whatever you do dont report it as a fault untill you've checked everything as a bill for over £100 want cheer you up. If you want me to talk you through everything to do just let me know and i will mail you my mobile number. Lol dont worry I'm not a spotter its just what i do for a job.

Probably the best thing to do is do a speed test with hub and then swap back to your old router and check again. At least you can then rule out if you have a faulty Hub as they are known for being shite. Are you getting any other problems on your line like noisey phone calls? Whatever you do dont report it as a fault untill you've checked everything as a bill for over £100 want cheer you up. If you want me to talk you through everything to do just let me know and i will mail you my mobile number. Lol dont worry I'm not a spotter its just what i do for a job.

Been looking at thees as I might be moving and cable isn't an option there, are they shite? Whats that BT vision like?

Any ideas anyone?

Bt vision is ok if you can get it but it again depends on how far you are from the exchange and you also have to have your hub in the front room near your tv.

Hmm, I have put mine upstairs then use an ethernet connection from it to the pc. Of course the extension to whenre it is would could some slow down, but I still cant get my head around the fact that my last modem and 1GB connection was getting me pretty much the same speed?

Download this and configure it for a 'dsl' connection. http://www.topshareware.com/TZ-Connection-...wnload-8547.htm

reboot and do another speedtest.

Thanks for the link, tried it and no change of any note like.

Wonder if I should move the hub downstairs and try via wireless rather than ethernet?

I avoided taht as Id been told wireless gets too many dropouts.

Bt vision is ok if you can get it but it again depends on how far you are from the exchange and you also have to have your hub in the front room near your tv.

Hmm, I have put mine upstairs then use an ethernet connection from it to the pc. Of course the extension to whenre it is would could some slow down, but I still cant get my head around the fact that my last modem and 1GB connection was getting me pretty much the same speed?

having the hub next to tv is for bt vision. just try swapping back to your old router and do speed test again. Like i said in other post let me know your number and i will talk you through it if you want.

Been looking at thees as I might be moving and cable isn't an option there, are they shite? Whats that BT vision like?

Any ideas anyone?

sorry forgot to say its just the hub itself that's shite but you can still use your old router.