British clubs scout Rigters

Scottish Mag

Maceo Rigters has been catching the eye of British scouts at the European Under 21 Championship in Holland.

The 23-year-old striker has impressed for the hosts and scored the winner against Portugal earlier in the week.

He is looking to leave NAC Breda after failing to establish himself as a regular up front in the team over the past couple of seasons.

Newcastle United and Celtic have taken in both Dutch games to date, and reports suggest the in-form Rigters could be available for as little as €300,000 (£200,000).

Rigters expressed his frustration at his situation with NAC and is hoping for the chance to play in his preferred position.

"I have never felt much appreciation at NAC Breda in the last two seasons," Rigters told Algemeen Dagblad. "More players felt that.

"I always feel that I am a centre-forward. At NAC Breda I have played just two matches in this position.

"I always had to train and play on the wings. In the front of the attack I have never got a good chance."

After struggling for goals at NAC last season, Rigters admits he is surprised to have started for Holland at the tournament.

He added: "I was surprised to start in the first XI. It is fantastic to play in this tournament."

I don't understand how there are a number of players who are over 21 are playing in this tournament. :blush:

The tournament is for a certain age group defined at the start of the qualification (in this case players born on or after January 1st 1984). For the tournament that is played 2009 (with the qualification starting this year it is players the deadline is January 1st 1986). So basically it is an under-21 competition when it starts - and not when it ends.

Skysports.com understands Newcastle and Celtic are battling it out for Dutch starlet Maceo Rigters.

Rigters has caught the eye of a number of clubs during Holland's run to the semi-finals of the European Under 21 Championship.

The 23-year-old has scored two goals so far in the tournament and he has been one of Holland's top performers.

Rigters' performances have impressed scouts from Newcastle and Celtic, who have been taking in Holland's games.

The talented striker is thought to be considering his future at NAC Breda after growing increasingly frustrated at his role at the club.

The news has alerted Celtic and Newcastle, who are set to keep tabs on the player for the rest of the European Championship.

Rigters' agent Ton Smit confirmed Celtic and Newcastle were chasing the striker and that a decision on his future could be made after the tournament.

"There has been a lot of interest in Maceo," Smit told skysports.com.

"Celtic are seriously interested and Newcastle are also looking at him. "We have had no official offers for him, but I believe both clubs will watch him play against England [tomorrow]. "Maceo would be keen on a move to Britain and play at a higher level

• 2 weeks later...
NAC Breda have given Celtic permission to open talks with Netherlands U21 striker Maceo Rigters.

The 23-year-old has been linked with the SPL champions and English Premiership side Newcastle United.

Breda director of football Earnie Stewart told the Daily Mail the club were attempting to negotiate a new contract with the player.

But he added: "Celtic have faxed us a note of interest and are the only club so far to do that."

Rigters hit four goals for Holland en-route to the side winning the European U21 Championship final, and Stewart said the club were keen to keep him.

"We are in the process of negotiating a new improved contract with him," said Stewart.

"But, if he wants to speak to Celtic, then there is nothing we can do about it because it's all been done by the book."

Celtic declined to comment on reports linking the SPL club with Rigters.

Two clubs from England's Premier League are in poll position to capture Netherlands Under-21 striker Maceo Rigters, Breda have confirmed.

Blackburn, Celtic, Newcastle and Rangers have all been linked with the 23-year-old forward.

But Breda director of football Earnie Stewart told BBC Sport: "I can confirm that neither Celtic, nor Rangers, have bid for Maceo Rigters.

"The only two offers have come from the English Premiership."

The Dutch club would now tell the player the interested clubs to gauge his interest in joining them.

Stewart confirmed that Celtic had formally expressed an interest in the striker but that Rangers had not yet been in touch.

There had been claims by Rigters' agent that five clubs had now places firm offers for the player.

"If Maceo and/or his agent want to reveal the clubs, that's a matter for them, but NAC Breda won't comment other than to confirm there have been two English bids for him," stressed Stewart.

Agent Frank Schouter told BBC Sport: "I think NAC are now in a position of strength with so many bidders.

"We are just waiting for NAC to tell us which clubs we can talk to and that is likely to happen on Monday."

Breda had hoped to negotiate a new contract with Rigters but now appear resigned to sell him to another club.

Interest in the striker was heightened after he hit four goals for the Netherlands en-route to the side winning the European Under-21 Championship final.