Boro eye options

Scottish Mag

Middlesbrough are believed to have made enquiries for Alan Smith and James Beattie.

The Teesside club are looking for striking reinforcements with Mark Viduka gone and Yakubu Aiyegbeni likely to depart.

Boro are ready to deal on Yakubu, with Portsmouth, Aston Villa and West Ham all looking likely mount bids. Portsmouth are already known to have tested Boro's resolve, but a swap deal involving Gary O'Neil has not as yet been agreed - indeed Sean Davis could yet be included instead of, or as well as, his midfield colleague.

With that the North East club are looking elsewhere and are understood to have made a bid for an 'England international', and that player is reported to be Smith.

It is not yet known whether Smith will be leaving Manchester United, but the former Leeds man seems unlikely to be offered a new deal and he has admitted that he will consider his options.

Middlesbrough are just one club thought to have shown an interest with Sunderland, Everton, Tottenham, Aston Villa, Newcastle and Rangers also linked.

Beattie is another said to be under consideration from Boro boss Gareth Southgate and it is reported he has asked counterpart David Moyes about his availability.

From this, it is claimed Everton have responded with an enquiry of their own - asking about Boro's Stewart Downing.

Everton are keen to bolster their left-sided options and obviously feel that the long-term Spurs target could be attracted to Merseyside.

However, with Viduka gone and Yakubu likely to follow - it seems unlikely at this stage that Boro would contemplate allowing Downing to leave.

James Beattie and Jeremie Aliadiere as replacements for Mark Viduka and Yakubu. I can't imagine the Boro supporters are too happy...

Wouldnt he be away in the african nations the same time as Martins? One thing if was to replace MArtins but not such a good idea if both were to be away at the same time.

Why are they looking to sell Yakubu, and why aren't we in for him??

*tin hat*

I would take him as a replacement for Owen.

*runs*

I agree.

We should get Stuart Downing whilst we're raiding Middlesbrough's frontline.

*tin hat*

*runs*

I agree.

Now there is an overrated player..

*tin hat*

*runs*

I agree.

Now there is an overrated player..

Agreed. And let tottingham pay an overrated price for him instead of us.