England v Serbia U21

Brock Manson

Guest Patrokles

Daft.

Did they really expect Derbyshire to knock it out when he was through on goal?

The Serb went down, it wasn't the fault of any England player.

The fact is, Derbyshire was through on goal. If he had knocked it out for the Serb player to get some treatment it would have been no quicker than him scoring.

If he scores, then play stops and the player can be treated.

What a bunch of petulent w@nkers.

Well, to be fair, if it had happened to us, we'd be seething. It wasn't as though the Serb was down in the centre circle. He was playing Derbyshire onside, etc.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Patrokles

Derbyshire was level with the next defender anyway IIRC, so would have been onside regardless.

That doesn't really change the fact that, had he been up and about, that man would have stopped Derbyshire.

Derbyshire was level with the next defender anyway IIRC, so would have been onside regardless.

That doesn't really change the fact that, had he been up and about, that man would have stopped Derbyshire.

It's not up to the players to decide when play stops, that's the ref's job.

Different argument. I was only referring to your point about playing him onside.

A lot depends on what happened for the couple of minutes leading up to the goal.

How long was the Sorb :blush: on the ground?

Had Serbia been in possession and, therefore, been attacking Engerlund without putting the ball out whilst their man was 'down'?

If Serbia had been in possession whilst their man was incapacitated, and not kicked the ball out, then they have no reason to complain.

I think the ref can only stop it if the injury is obviously serious. This usually involves a head injury.

As it was, the Serbian player was sat up, watching play.

I think the ref can only stop it if the injury is obviously serious. This usually involves a head injury.

As it was, the Serbian player was sat up, watching play.

Last season the PL decided that the convention of knocking the ball out for an injured player was to stop and it was the referee's responsibility to decide whether play should be stopped. However this obviously doesn't apply to international football so it's difficult to say whether it had any influence on England's decision to play on.

IMO the ball should only be put out of play if the opposing player is seriously injured.

Guest stevieintoon

Can anyone remember what happened with that Arsenal goal against t'Blades?

Was that a throw in which Arsenal should've given back, if so there is a clear distinction between what happened there and what happened last night.

Guest Patrokles

All I'm saying is that, if it happened to us, we'd be fucking livid, and if someone tried to justify it, we'd tell them where to go.

All I'm saying is that, if it happened to us, we'd be fucking livid, and if someone tried to justify it, we'd tell them where to go.

I'm half Serbian, and I think Derbyshire had every right to play on. But then again, not everyone is as objective and rational as me. :lol:

Exactly. It's not so much the question of it being right or wrong, but rather the frustration about conceding the goal. So, if you have the chance to blame someone else...

I wonder what FIFA or UEFA would do if that was the English players doing that?

Derbyshire had every right to continue on, the rules have changed and i loved the fact he continued to celebrate after being pulled away from the Serbian players. Stevie Taylor will be a captain of this club in the not too distant future in my opinion.

Was that a throw in which Arsenal should've given back, if so there is a clear distinction between what happened there and what happened last night.

Sheffield had put it out of play for a player to get treatment, Kanu(iirc) threw the ball back to the Sheff Utd players, but Overmars nipped in went through on goal and scored. I think Steve Bruce had his players walk off the pitch. It was a cup game and there was murder over it. Overmars claimed he was new to the league and custom of returning the ball in that situation.

Sheffield had put it out of play for a player to get treatment, Kanu(iirc) threw the ball back to the Sheff Utd players, but Overmars nipped in went through on goal and scored. I think Steve Bruce had his players walk off the pitch. It was a cup game and there was murder over it. Overmars claimed he was new to the league and custom of returning the ball in that situation.

Other way round. Overmars took the throw and it was Kanu that scored. It was also Kanu that was new to the league.

Ta.

Always thought that was a bit odd. Kanu came from Ajax didn't he?

Inter. Played for Ajax prior to that though.