Lalas: "MLS on par with Prem League"

MattM4

*sigh*

That guardian quote brought up a good point. Why the negativity among the English towards the MLS? Is it inferior to the EPL? ABSOLUTELY. But I can't think of one person who is a fan of hockey or basketball that takes the same attitude about the leagues in England.

If Michael Jordan had announced towards the end of his career that he was going to play for the Newcastle Eagles I don't think the response would be the same among Americans (for the most part).

I personally have nothing against the MLS, I only have a problem with people like Lalas coming out and saying it's on par with the EPL when it obviously isn't. Good bit of marketing though. I'm quite happy to admit that the Spanish League is much better than the EPL btw.

*sigh*

That guardian quote brought up a good point. Why the negativity among the English towards the MLS? Is it inferior to the EPL? ABSOLUTELY. But I can't think of one person who is a fan of hockey or basketball that takes the same attitude about the leagues in England.

If Michael Jordan had announced towards the end of his career that he was going to play for the Newcastle Eagles I don't think the response would be the same among Americans (for the most part).

It's just a general anti-American sentiment. It's shared by the whole world in fairness. That's a joke btw.

Its because Americans try their best to ruin sports.

FACT

How?

QUESTION

:icon_lol:

For a start even the slight influence brought through sky for the last few years,

i mean Super Sunday was a joke but GRAND SLAM SUNDAY is a bit much for me :razz:

You guys sensationalise everything, plus dress up in an array of puffy pads <_<

*sigh*

It's just a general anti-American sentiment. It's shared by the whole world in fairness. That's a joke btw.

I got the humoUr :razz:

Tbf as well, I'm sure Canadians and Americans do look down upon UK Ice Hockey. I know I do. That's not a dig at the Elite League, it's just a million miles shitter than the NHL and should be treated as such tbf.

Edited by sweetleftpeg

*sigh*

I got the humoUr :razz:

Glad someone does <_<

FACT

How?

QUESTION

:icon_lol:

For a start even the slight influence brought through sky for the last few years,

i mean Super Sunday was a joke but GRAND SLAM SUNDAY is a bit much for me :razz:

The influence through sky? Isn't that a UK based company? That's not american owned is it?

The sensationalism is annoying though... don't know how that started.*

Regarding the puffy pads... that's (american) football. Why bring that up? I could argue that cricket players wear more pads than baseball players....

* Interesting point is the difference between the fans in the professional level in America and college. I am a Georgia Tech fan and the atmosphere at any sporting event (basketball, football (both), etc.) is very much like an epl match where there is the singing and chanting. At the college level you even have away fans that have their own section. Not something that has been copied off of the epl or anything, just the level of participation at that level has always been there.

Just a random thought that occurred to me.

Edited by newcastlebootboy

Aye, I've always noticed that College and even High School sport is very well supported in the USA, maybe that's why you produce better athletes because you're breeding competition rather than our system of every spaz is a winner. Saying that, didn't they suspend the Pee Wee Baseball season a few years ago due to parents beating the shit out of each other at games? :razz:

FACT

How?

QUESTION

B)

The influence through sky? Isn't that a UK based company? That's not american owned is it?

The sensationalism is annoying though... don't know how that started.*

Regarding the puffy pads... that's (american) football. Why bring that up? I could argue that cricket players wear more pads than baseball players....

* Interesting point is the difference between the fans in the professional level in America and college. I am a Georgia Tech fan and the atmosphere at any sporting event (basketball, football (both), etc.) is very much like an epl match where there is the singing and chanting. At the college level you even have away fans that have their own section. Not something that has been copied off of the epl or anything, just the level of participation at that level has always been there.

Just a random thought that occurred to me.

It's a side issue, but cricketers actually try to hit the batsmen with the ball in the legs for LBW so that's why they wear pads. American footballers where padding because they're gay. :icon_lol:

Luke Shoots......LUKE SCORES B)

It's a side issue, but cricketers actually try to hit the batsmen with the ball in the legs for LBW so that's why they wear pads. American footballers where padding because they're gay. :razz:

Not again ffs <_<

Aye, I've always noticed that College and even High School sport is very well supported in the USA, maybe that's why you produce better athletes because you're breeding competition rather than our system of every spaz is a winner. Saying that, didn't they suspend the Pee Wee Baseball season a few years ago due to parents beating the shit out of each other at games? :razz:

But I think that is one of the reasons why we will never be on par with the top leagues when it comes to football/soccer. Our national and even professional football/soccer players are a bit older than leading nations because no one looks at them (seriously) until after they have graduated from college. This is changing but I can't see our MLS clubs establishing any sort of academy setups like those in europe. The national soccer (FA) has something similar but not close yet.

As for the parents... yeah, unfortunately that happens a bit. I had one father try to go at it with my father at my little brother's roller-hockey game. As a coach, I also had a parent walk across the pitch in the middle of the match to take his kid off the bench and go home. The match was only 18 minutes in the first half!

It's a side issue, but cricketers actually try to hit the batsmen with the ball in the legs for LBW so that's why they wear pads. American footballers where padding because they're gay. :razz:

understood.

read that article and thought...

"my there's an over-reaction"

to be honest I think his core argument is flawed, I don't agree that we as a nation are "scared" I think we, as a nation, are apathetic towards and ignorant of the state of american soccer.

which is not a good thing either, but it's less loaded than the reason the Guardian columnist bases his whole argument upon.

as a league I'd say the MLS is still a way behind the Premiership, but I'd not dismiss it because it's clearly improving. The slow but steady rise in popularity of football in America is evident in the slow bu steady increase in American players plying their trade in more recognised arenas.

He forgets to mentions that the american detractors of the sport are just as vocal as the "stuck up limey soccer snobs".

Most people who bash the MLS have never really bothered watching it. It's a very entertaining league imho. I'm a big fan. That article you posted Zath is spot on.

Not again ffs <_<

Look, I'm trying to revise for my exams, would you rather I retained knowledge on the signs, symptoms and management of cancers or of spellings and grammar?

Although that one is pretty inexcusable. :icon_lol:

Not again ffs <_<

Look, I'm trying to revise for my exams, would you rather I retained knowledge on the signs, symptoms and management of cancers or of spellings and grammar?

Although that one is pretty inexcusable. :icon_lol:

Just ignore me mate. Just pulling your leg.

Not again ffs <_<

Although that one is pretty inexcusable. B)

Just ignore me mate. Just pulling your leg.

I know. :icon_lol:

With the type of people that play football (american), I think that the pads are used as some type of body armor since it seems every other one either carries a gun has an entourage of people with guns....

and then you have Michael Vick who enjoys the dog fights...