Ashley wants trouble shooter to sort out Toon

Jimbo

A summer of revolutionary change at Newcastle United will not be restricted to Sam Allardyce's overhaul of his first-team squad and backroom staff. While the club's new manager pursues fresh signings, Mike Ashley, Newcastle's new owner, will shortly appoint a troubleshooter charged with scrutinising all areas of the business.

The resulting extensive review will encompass Allardyce's role and its findings are likely to define the scope of the former Bolton Wanderers manager's powers. The future of Freddy Shepherd, who still holds the role of chairman despite selling his shares in the club to Ashley, a sports retail billionaire, will also hinge on the troubleshooter's review. Shepherd, currently recovering from a serious bout of pneumonia, hopes to remain as a salaried chairman and effectively play a chief executive's role.

Article continues

"It will be the sort of thorough, objective, stragetic review that invariably happens when businesses are taken over," explained a source. "It will show how the club operates at every level including team manager and above."

Although sources close to Ashley are anxious to dismiss suggestions that the fact that Allardyce was named in the recent Stevens report on the probity of football transfers - Lord Stevens was unhappy about a potential conflict of interest at Bolton involving Allardyce and his son Craig, then an agent - might have placed the Newcastle manager's job security in doubt, it is understood that Quest's findings will also be considered by the troubleshooter.

Ashley is said to be "supportive" of Allardyce and enjoyed convivial and productive meetings with him at the training ground, but he did not appoint the manager, so Glenn Roeder's successor, hired by Shepherd literally days before Ashley's surprise takeover, inevitably has much to prove.

"There's no great change in mood because of Quest. Mike is supportive of the manager," said a source. "But there is about to be a long, hard look at the way Newcastle is run."

This will encompass the role of Kenneth Shepherd, Freddy Shepherd's influential son, who was mentioned by the Stevens report when it highlighted a potential conflict of interest in having relatives work so close together. Although there was no suggestion of wrongdoing by United officials, four of the 17 transfers that Quest refused to clear involved signings made by the club, namely Jean-Alain Boumsong, Albert Luque, Amady Faye and Emre Belozoglu.

In fact eight of those 17 deals involved either Newcastle or Allardyce, the latter in his former capacity as Bolton manager and featuring the incoming transfers of Ali Al-Habsi, Tal Ben Haim, Blessing Kaku and Julio Correia.

It has not been revealed whether the troubleshooter will be recruited from the ranks of Ashley's existing employees or be an external appointment but no one on Newcastle's payroll, from Allardyce and Shepherd to the tea ladies, can expect to be shielded from intense scrutiny.

Meanwhile, Obafemi Martins has said he is happy at Newcastle after his future had been put in doubt when he failed to turn up for the club's final game of the season at Watford claiming injury. "I signed a contract with Newcastle and I am happy at the club, and the way the fans supported me even when I wasn't scoring was great. If I am fully fit, there is no way I will back out from playing any game for Newcastle," he said.

By the way, what's going on with Allardyce's backroom staff? I thought Forde and Taylor were basically done deals, but it seems to have gone completely quiet. We still haven't got any coaches either, apart from Pearson that is.

sounds good to me, :lol:

We're not a well run club, bringing in a "Trouble shooter" will, at the very least, identify and bring focus to the areas of the club which need adressing. With a businessman like Ashley at the helm it seems we'd not simply identify then leave the problem, as we have under Shepherd, we'd set about bringing lasting and broad reaching change to the infrastructure of Newcatle United.

I was away and missed the fan fare of him buying Fat Freds shares, I'm hearing ugly rumours that Shepherd is to stay on a as a payed Chairman after all. Is this true?

Only until Laura finds a darn good reason to sack him!

Trouble shooter anyone?

I was away and missed the fan fare of him buying Fat Freds shares, I'm hearing ugly rumours that Shepherd is to stay on a as a payed Chairman after all. Is this true?

Aye, but I recently heard another ITK-tastic rumour (not a dig Stevie, ok? :lol: ) where I heard FS, Kenneth and the whole clan of hangers on are going to be kicked out.

Aye, but I recently heard another ITK-tastic rumour (not a dig Stevie, ok? :lol: ) where I heard FS, Kenneth and the whole clan of hangers on are going to be kicked out.

They probably will eventually, he'll just keep them at the moment until he gets everything sorted out.

That's got to happen eventually, if he wants to run NUFC as a business and not a charity anyway.

They probably will eventually, he'll just keep them at the moment until he gets everything sorted out.

Sooner rather than later is what I heard. Not announced yet but they've already gone in effect. Could be bollocks like but it's what I was told anyway.

Sooner rather than later is what I heard. Not announced yet but they've already gone in effect. Could be bollocks like but it's what I was told anyway.

Who were you told by?

Who were you told by?

I could tell you but I'd have to kill you.

Aye, but I recently heard another ITK-tastic rumour (not a dig Stevie, ok? :rolleyes: ) where I heard FS, Kenneth and the whole clan of hangers on are going to be kicked out.

Who were you told by?

AF apparently. :lol:

Who were you told by?

Same old, same old then....A friend of a friends mothers dogs puppy.... :rolleyes:

Who were you told by?

Same old, same old then....A friend of a friends mothers dogs puppy.... :rolleyes:

I would imagine the more he finds out about how things were/are run the SOONER it will be.

Who were you told by?

We'll see.

All I've heard is that Bruce Shepherd negotiated the sale of the shares. Oh, and that Fred is apparently more ill than is publicly known. He's a tosser, but I hope he gets better anyway.

Pneumonia apparently.

By the way, what's going on with Allardyce's backroom staff? I thought Forde and Taylor were basically done deals, but it seems to have gone completely quiet. We still haven't got any coaches either, apart from Pearson that is.

I read somewhere from Allardyce that he knows he needs to sort out the backroom team, but getting players in is more important so his efforts are going there first.

But i'm sure we'll see some new faces in the backroom as well soon, i hope we do with Forde and Taylor being the ones to get sorted asap.

I guess I'm not alone in this, but the more I think about NUFC, the more I come to the conclusion that it (NUFC) is just a fuckin' shambles all round. From the operating procedures to the playing staff; from the training ground to the shed being rented back after being sold; from player contracts to background staff.

Someone on N-O posted a piss take report by Ashley's, I say Ashley's, troubleshooter with the underlying train of thought being one of utter disbelief of the mess NUFC is in - something which is probably closer to the truth than we dared to think.

I read somewhere from Allardyce that he knows he needs to sort out the backroom team, but getting players in is more important so his efforts are going there first.

But i'm sure we'll see some new faces in the backroom as well soon, i hope we do with Forde and Taylor being the ones to get sorted asap.

As I understand it, there isn't the same time constraint on signing backroom staff, so it'd be foolish to dedicate time to that, when it should be better spent searching the globe for a back four that doesn't remind you of pumice, it looks like it should be solid, but leaks like a mother fucker :lol:

As I understand it, there isn't the same time constraint on signing backroom staff, so it'd be foolish to dedicate time to that, when it should be better spent searching the globe for a back four that doesn't remind you of pumice, it looks like it should be solid, but leaks like a mother fucker :lol:

Aye but Allardyce should have a fair idea already who he wants in his back room staff so I wouldn't have thought it would take so long to get them on board. There's no point in scouring the globe for talent only to have them turn up on 2nd July to see Terry Mac trying to sort out a pre-season piss up and Lee Clark smiling at them gormlessly.

Ashley demands answers from Shepherd

Mike Ashley's team of trouble-shooters will demand an explanation over contractual clauses that have left Sam Allardyce fearing he could be powerless to stop Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins leaving St James's Park this summer.

And Freddie Shepherd will be expected to provide the answers after a disgruntled former United manager Graeme Souness insisted that, during his reign, the Newcastle chairman was alone in determining the manner in which transfer deals were structured.

With Ashley's £133m takeover nearing completion, the billionaire is planning to conduct an all-encompassing review as he seeks to get a handle on the manner in which the club operates. Reports that, like Owen, Martins had a release clause inserted in his contract when he joined the club from Inter Milan last summer will bemuse the big-spending businessman's assessors and give them an obvious starting point. The 22-year-old's advisers are understood to have negotiated a £13m buy-out option and, although such stories remain uncorroborated, there has been no denial from club officials.

It is unclear from where the leak came - although suggestions that Martins is agitating for a move to Juventus appear unfounded. The Nigerian this week pledged his future to United and has told those close to him he is content in the North-East. Martins is understood to be relishing the chance to join forces with Mark Viduka following the Australian's arrival from Middlesbrough, having spent last season without significant striking support.

But revelations that a clause exists will offer renewed hope to those who covet his talents. The Journal revealed last month that Juve are keen to offer him a route back to Serie A, although Claudio Ranieri's arrival to succeed Didier Deschamps has clouded the issue. Chelsea and Arsenal have long been credited with an interest in Martins and, while the player is adamant that he does not want to leave St James's Park, such offers would be tempting.

It is understood that Allardyce was unaware such a situation existed. Having sought talks with Owen - a £17m signing available for £9m - in an attempt to persuade him to remain in the North-East, he will have to do the same with Martins. Yet he will be aware that should the respective clauses be triggered, he will be unable to do anything to keep the pair in on Tyneside.

With Ashley's staff preparing to engage in a `thorough, objective, strategic review' of the club's business practices, the reason such clauses were agreed will be a pertinent subject for discussion. Such talks could prove uncomfortable.

Shepherd remains in office as Newcastle's chairman - despite his decision to sell his 28% stake in the club last week - although his position remains unclear. The trouble-shooting process will examine his role at St James's Park.

The manner in which transfer dealings are conducted will also be scrutinised, with particular emphasis on the conditions in Owen's contract that could see United make an £8m loss on his transfer fee. It was Souness who signed the striker, although he will not take the blame.

Having been implicated in the Quest report into alleged transfer irregularities, the furious Scot has insisted his career could be ruined - accusing investigators of blackening his name without having the evidence to back up their claims.

Souness is adamant that he played no part in the club's transfer negotiations and has claimed it was Shepherd who decided which players were bought and sold during their ill-fated association.

"In my time at Newcastle, one man and one man alone decided what player came to the club and what player left, and it was not the manager - it was the chairman," he said.

Souness also criticised Shepherd's son, Kenneth, who was also named in the Quest report. He added: "I'm not even sure why he was there. He's basically a fan who just happens to be the chairman's son."

Meanwhile, Allardyce is hoping to discover whether his bid to bring David Rozehnal to St James's Park has been a success this afternoon, with the player's agent last night insisting a decision is imminent.

Borussia Dortmund are no longer interested in the Paris-Saint Germain stopper, but with Seville having made a late attempt to secure his services, Newcastle still face considerable competition.

Allardyce is determined to add defensive strength to his first-team squad and Steven Taylor's ankle ligament problem has increased the need to made a breakthrough.