Greatest Player You've Ever Seen In An England Shirt?

Tooj

Fancied starting a topic that I thought would be a quite interesting one to talk over, especially with a lot of you folk being older than me and having more of an insight if you will.

Being only 5 at Italia '90 don't really remember seeing Gazza at that point so I only really got to see post-cruciate Gazza for England, however I do remember being about 7 or 8 and my cousin bringing round a video of Italia '90 and to this day Gazza's performance against Holland in particular was one of the greatest I've ever seen. He was running rings around the likes of Gullit with ease, in particular the one Cruyff turn he done on Koeman has to go down as one of the greatest things I can honestly say I've ever witnessed on a football field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPdRCouu49c

If not Gazza it would have to be Shearer pre '97, in particular watching him at Euro '96, the best striker in the world at the time. That was of course until a certain Ronaldo went to Barcelona. Really was something at the time looking back, I know me and Alex have discussed this before, but although we got great service out of Shearer I still feel we were robbed of the player we signed for 9 of those years, which was a real shame.

Would also be interesting obviously due to generation gaps etc what the general consensus actually is about this, me granda says Tom Finney is the greatest player he's ever saw play for England, me mam and dad both say Bryan Robson, although Renton will disagree with that I'm sure and tell us all how overrated he was. B)

Fancied starting a topic that I thought would be a quite interesting one to talk over, especially with a lot of you folk being older than me and having more of an insight if you will.

Being only 5 at Italia '90 don't really remember seeing Gazza at that point so I only really got to see post-cruciate Gazza for England, however I do remember being about 7 or 8 and my cousin bringing round a video of Italia '90 and to this day Gazza's performance against Holland in particular was one of the greatest I've ever seen. He was running rings around the likes of Gullit with ease, in particular the one Cruyff turn he done on Koeman has to go down as one of the greatest things I can honestly say I've ever witnessed on a football field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPdRCouu49c

If not Gazza it would have to be Shearer pre '97, in particular watching him at Euro '96, the best striker in the world at the time. That was of course until a certain Ronaldo went to Barcelona. Really was something at the time looking back, I know me and Alex have discussed this before, but although we got great service out of Shearer I still feel we were robbed of the player we signed for 9 of those years, which was a real sha

Would also be interesting obviously due to generation gaps etc what the general consensus actually is about this, me granda says Tom Finney is the greatest player he's ever saw play for England, me mam and dad both say Bryan Robson, although Renton will disagree with that I'm sure and tell us all how overrated he was. B)

Brian Robson was one of the most under rated players England has ever had, in my eyes he was one of the best midfield players this country has produced in the last 40 years, he could play anywhere,he was unfortunate that he played for England when most of the team were shite...he played with his heart and could score goals regular ,he didnt have the flair of gazza or beardsley but he had that leadership quality that you very rearly find and the heart of a lion......bless him

Edited by Knackers

best player technically, gazza or beardsley.

was also a huge fan of tony adams. proper centre back...

Best player technically? Could add Waddle and Hoddle to that. Waddle played very well in Italia 90 as well. Hoddle never did much for England.

Great video. Most gutted I have been was the day we sold Gazza. If only we had Freddie Shepherd then :huh:

I am a year younger than Gazza so I was at an age when I could just about appreciate what I was seeing. Some of his performances at the reserves were incredible. I was at the match when he took over the mic at the reserves and went on an extended piss take about John Baileys medals etc. Not enough superlatives to describe him. He got the club out of the shit in 1996/97 when he came back from injury. We relied on him the next season too much.

Greatest player I saw in a black and white shirt or an England one.

Although I think the bloke is a tit, I've got to say Lineker, running a close second probably Gazza, and then Shearer.

Well for me it has to be wor Jackie's nephew Bobby.

Played for England schoolboys.

World Cup winner.

106 games for England.

49 goals for England, more than anyone else.

European footballer of the year.

Had a good football brain, had a good amount of flair and was more than capable of scoring cracking goals.

In the days of 5 forwards played in all positions except outside right.

Gained fame as a midfielder both for Man.Utd and England.

Bobby Charlton is the greatest player I ever saw in an England shirt.

Are we talking one-off performances or overall?

One - off's

1. Beckham against Greece

2. Gazza against Scotland

3. Hargreaves against Portugual in the last World Cup

4. Bobby Charlton against Portgual in '66

Overall

1. Banks

2. Moore

3. Charlton R

3. Seaman

5. Lineker

6. Shearer

7. Adams

Beckham's performance against Greece is a bit overrated if you ask me. For the first 60 minutes he was as poor as everyone else. He did take the game by the scruff of the neck and it was a great free-kick at the end but he had about 6 attempts prior to that. The way some people go on you'd think he inspired us to win some major match at a Euro or World Cup finals when in fact he inspired a home draw against Greece.

best player technically, gazza or beardsley.

was also a huge fan of tony adams. proper centre back...

Definatley Pedro - he made lineker and co. ,I was at at talk in with Beardsley a couple of weeks ago and the mans humility was astounding considering what he did for the strikers "It was my job",I ve never thought he man got the recognition he deserved so here,s me chance to do it :huh:

http://www.englandcaps.co.uk/PeterBeardsley.html

Edited by Gordie the Geordie

It was a home win wasn't it? Think his free kick was nodded in by Sheringham for the equaliser..

Sure it was 2-2. :huh:

It was. Germany drew away to Iceland 0-0 iirc so a draw was enough. We equalised twice didn't we? So maybe that's where the confusion comes from.

Beckham's performance against Greece is a bit overrated if you ask me. For the first 60 minutes he was as poor as everyone else. He did take the game by the scruff of the neck and it was a great free-kick at the end but he had about 6 attempts prior to that. The way some people go on you'd think he inspired us to win some major match at a Euro or World Cup finals when in fact he inspired a home draw against Greece.

Agree completely.

Agree completely.

I think I only say that because I watched the match on the Saturday afternoon then watched the full thing again on MOTD on the Sunday morning. In the cold light of day as it were he really didn't play all that well for most of the match. It's understandable that the last half hour is what people remember though.

Although I think the bloke is a tit, I've got to say Lineker, running a close second probably Gazza, and then Shearer.

Lineker was a good player and vastly important to England, but best/greatest? Nah. (vital not really being the same thing best/greatest I think).

Lineker was a good player and vastly important to England, but best/greatest? Nah. (vital not really being the same thing best/greatest I think).

He was 'just' a goalscorer in a similar way to Owen. Great at his job though obviously. Owed a lot to Pedro too.

He was 'just' a goalscorer in a similar way to Owen. Great at his job though obviously. Owed a lot to Pedro too.

and how much to clubs pay for "just" goal scorers??????

Toughest job in the game

and how much to clubs pay for "just" goal scorers??????

Toughest job in the game

And why do you think I put it in quotes? That was my point :huh:

Sorry :(:(:blush:

I realised that - I was trying to reinforce your brilliant innersight :huh::date::(

That's ok then :( He wasn't a 'great player' as such though. Great goalscorer mind.