an interesting season ahead for once?

Dr Gloom

with a serious number of takeovers and shedloads of new money flowing into the premiership, does anyone expect next season to be the most competitive in some time or will the top 4 remain in a league of their own?

with our new chairman and manager in place i know a few of us are optimistic about getting back into the top 6. but surely so will fans of villa, pompey, west ham, man city and others.

will next season see the gap betweem the have and have-nots reduce or will one of man u or chelsea run away with it yet again?

I hope we don't get that channeled into thinking we're the 'next Chelsea' that we lose focus and end up being the 'next Villa'...

Villa had a promising start to the season but by the end of it were in no better position than they were under Ellis and O'Leary.

I hope we don't get that channeled into thinking we're the 'next Chelsea' that we lose focus and end up being the 'next Villa'...

Villa had a promising start to the season but by the end of it were in no better position than they were under Ellis and O'Leary.

Villa improved by 5 places, I think thats an improvement that alot of clubs would be encouraged by having previously finished 16th in the league.

Villa improved by 5 places, I think thats an improvement that alot of clubs would be encouraged by having previously finished 16th in the league.

Aye, I think Craig is 'wide of the mark' with his Villa comments but I know what he means (I think), i.e. that we shouldn't get carried away.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see ourselves, Spurs and possibly Everton put up a fight for fourth place (against Arsenal) but I'm not sure I can see anyone dislodging the other three. ManU and Chelsea are too good, and Liverpool are too ruthless and boringly efficient.

i think we got more of a chance than the others we got a good manager behind us and a complete new backround staff i assume

I'd rather see some progress regarding the backroom staff though...

I just hope Sam knows what he is doing if he is given a vast war chest to buy players.

Not saying he will go daft and end up buying ponies but I cannot remember big

Sam being given the amount of cash that the rumors suggest anywhere else throughout his management career.

I get the feeling he still likes the freebies when he could actually buy younger better talent.

Not having a go - just wondering

Must have helped their average ranking in the Premiership, anyway. :blink:

Certainly going to be an interesting season. A few teams have a new structure though how effective each's will be remains to be seen. For us, as things stand, Id like to see us get into the top 8. Last season when we were getting beat, it wasnt just the result but the way we played, the general overall mood. This season coming, Id hope if we got beat, we could see why and know the manager knew what he was doing to improve/head in the right direction.

I'd not be so quick to right Arsenal off though. Like all teams, there is still a while before the start of the season and plenty to happen.

As much as Id like to see us fighting for 4/5th against maybe Arsenal, Spurs - I think we need a few new faces before we are able to do that, and of course see how Sam has us playing.

Aye, I think Craig is 'wide of the mark' with his Villa comments but I know what he means (I think), i.e. that we shouldn't get carried away.

Pretty much the point I'm trying to make....

Just because you get a billionaire chairman, you don't become world-beaters over night. Chelsea were a much better side than us, Villa, West Ham, Citeh at the point of their take-over. I expect next season to be an improvement but it'll be the year after at least before I expect to see anything beyond 'improvement'.

Pretty much the point I'm trying to make....

Just because you get a billionaire chairman, you don't become world-beaters over night. Chelsea were a much better side than us, Villa, West Ham, Citeh at the point of their take-over. I expect next season to be an improvement but it'll be the year after at least before I expect to see anything beyond 'improvement'.

You can't compare Chelsea with any other club anyway. Roman went there and started using the football club as some entertainment with pumping loads of cash in for new stars and trying to buy titles right from the start. The likes of Lerner and Ashley first of all see their clubs as an investment. They might make money available, but they will want the clubs to be profitable rather sooner than later. This will be a much slower process - with less guarantee to succeed.

Totally agree but some people will make the comparison of us with Chelsea and sadly will also have the same level of expectation....

This is certainly the most optimistic I've been about a season since Robson was here. I'm not saying I'm OMG!11 WE'RE THE BEST!!1, but I'm hopeful we can compete more. As long as we give the new regime and manager time as well, no shouting for one or the other by Christmas (although some mongs will).

I'm quite optimistic too. If we can get off to a good start - and Bolton always seemed to do that IIRC - and build up some confidence, we will have a good season. A lot depends on how the likes of Spurs, Villa and Man City will do though. I'm still glad that we've replaced Roeder, if he was still in charge today, everybody would be depressed and we'd be in a relegation struggle from day one.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but Bayern look like they mean business next year, they've just signed Klose http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6241770.stm.

I think Makaay is leaving, but they've already signed Luca Toni and have Podolski there too, although, from looking at his stats, either Podolski had injuries or poor form last season.

They've also signed Ribery and re-signed Ze Roberto.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but Bayern look like they mean business next year, they've just signed Klose http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6241770.stm.

I think Makaay is leaving, but they've already signed Luca Toni and have Podolski there too, although, from looking at his stats, either Podolski had injuries or poor form last season.

They've also signed Ribery and re-signed Ze Roberto.

They're blatantly going all out to win the Champions League '08 before we wipe all before us in '09.

They knaa (or whatever they say in Munchen) we are on the march so they have to get the pot before it's too late!

There's no crime in dreaming. :blink:

I'm quite optimistic too. If we can get off to a good start - and Bolton always seemed to do that IIRC - and build up some confidence, we will have a good season. A lot depends on how the likes of Spurs, Villa and Man City will do though. I'm still glad that we've replaced Roeder, if he was still in charge today, everybody would be depressed and we'd be in a relegation struggle from day one.

aye. it would be nice if we had a decent start for once. our last good start iirc was when we played the intertoto under sir bob and we'd just signed robert and bellamy.

too often in recent years we've had shite starts that have set the tone for the rest of the season.

Not expecting too much tbh.

I would hope we can finish top ten.

I expect Arsenal to come really good this season and challenge Man U for the title. Chewsee to finish 3rd.

Liverpool/Spurs and Everton to challenge for 4th.

Villa to finish above us.

I have my favourites and wish list for relegation but don't want to tempt fate by naming them :blink: .

Edited by snakehips

Certainly going to be an interesting season. A few teams have a new structure though how effective each's will be remains to be seen. For us, as things stand, Id like to see us get into the top 8. Last season when we were getting beat, it wasnt just the result but the way we played, the general overall mood. This season coming, Id hope if we got beat, we could see why and know the manager knew what he was doing to improve/head in the right direction.

I'd not be so quick to right Arsenal off though. Like all teams, there is still a while before the start of the season and plenty to happen.

As much as Id like to see us fighting for 4/5th against maybe Arsenal, Spurs - I think we need a few new faces before we are able to do that, and of course see how Sam has us playing.

The reason I stated I think they are going to not been the team they were this season, isn't down to Henry, it's down to the various changes that have happened over the last two seasons.

Dein has left, their influencial players have either retired or been moved on due to age, the younger players although as good as some are haven't quite reached that level yet and it really looks like Wenger is reading himself for a new adventure, possibly Barca.

I expect Arsenal to come really good this season and challenge Man U for the title. Chewsee to finish 3rd.

I have my favourites and wish list for relegation but don't want to tempt fate by naming them :blink: .

The old fella has lost it.

I have my favourites and wish list for relegation but don't want to tempt fate by naming them ;) .

The old fella has lost it.

:blink: You heard it here first.

Edited by snakehips