Big Sam to embark on £50m spending spree

Ketsbaia

June 27, 2007

Allardyce to embark on £50m spree after Ashley completes takeover at Newcastle

George Caulkin

Sam Allardyce will be provided with about £50 million to restore Newcastle United’s fortunes next season after Mike Ashley completed his takeover of the club yesterday. In a flurry of developments at St James’ Park, the billionaire sportswear tycoon assumed full control on Tyneside and installed his own personnel as directors, although Freddy Shepherd is to remain as chairman on a temporary basis.

Ashley, Britain’s 25th-richest man with a personal fortune of about £1.9 billion, is on the threshold of a 90 per cent stake in Newcastle’s shares, allowing him automatically to purchase the outstanding 10 per cent and return the club to private ownership. It will now be delisted from the stock market, ending a ten-year association that can be regarded only as partially successful.

As expected, a board meeting at Newcastle brought the resignations of Douglas Hall, the deputy chairman, and the directors, Bruce Shepherd, Timothy Revill and Allison Antonopoulos, plus confirmation that Shepherd will continue in a figurehead role to guide the club through a testing period.

Chris Mort, a leading lawyer, was appointed deputy chairman with immediate effect, while Steve Hayward, a marketing manager for Sports Direct – he also had involvement with Coca-Cola’s football sponsorship programme – becomes a nonexecutive director.

As corporate partner of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer’s leisure sector group, from which he will now take leave, Mort, 38, advised Ashley on his £133 million acquisition of Newcastle. He has no football experience and is expected to work closely with Shepherd, who accepted Ashley’s invitation to stay in a paid capacity, but it is Mort who will effectively run Newcastle on Ashley’s behalf and to whom Allardyce, the manager, will report directly.

“I am delighted to take on this role,” Mort said. “Newcastle United is a fantastic football club with a wonderful set of supporters. My first task is to lead a review of all aspects of the club and I look forward to starting that work immediately.”

Shepherd sold his 28.6 per cent stake to Ashley this month, but with Allardyce needing to strengthen the squad and the club planning a £300 million development that will increase stadium capacity to 60,000 and involve an hotel and a conference centre being built on adjacent land, continuity is desired. Shepherd’s retention is not expected to stretch much beyond the next three months, but he will claim to have acted in Newcastle’s best interests in enabling the new regime to settle. Priority will be given to improving the squad, backroom staff and playing facilities.

Having completed the £3 million signing of David Rozehnal from Paris Saint-Germain on a four-year contract, Allardyce has turned his attentions to luring Habib Beye, the Senegal defender, from Marseilles.

Beye, 29, is comfortable at centre half or right back and would add experience and expertise to a defence that has lost Titus Bramble, Craig Moore, Olivier Bernard and Oguchi Onyewu this summer. Allardyce also hopes to tempt Sami Hyypia from Liverpool, having already persuaded Joey Barton and Mark Viduka to join, and while they will be only the first of several new arrivals, there is more to his approach than merely adding a smattering of exotic names to his team-sheet. He believes that nothing short of a revolution is necessary at a club that has a long history of underachievement.

Mark Taylor, who worked with Allardyce at Bolton Wanderers, will shortly be named as Newcastle’s head of sports science and the manager is still intent on bringing Mike Forde from his former club as performance director.

Such important changes will involve a significant level of funding, but a source close to Ashley has already confirmed the reclusive tycoon’s determination to “build the biggest and the best and be successful”.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle1991255.ece

I wonder how many Blessing Kaku's you can get for that?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fucking hate it when figures are mentioned when it comes to "war chests", instantly raises the price of players with clubs that you are doing business with.

Adriano - 20m, Manuel Fernandes 12m, Quaresma 10-15m, Diarra 5.5m, Baines 5m, Beye 2m, and a few token squad playing Allardyce cheapies :blink:

.......................Given

Beye.......Taylor..........Roz........Baines

.......................Diarra

.............Barton..........Fernandes

.. Quaresma.......................Martins

......................Adriano

This team although something of a fantasy isn't all that unrealistic to me and would be a top 4 side if they are grafted into a cohesive unit and all doing their jobs. There would be a flair of Quaresma, Fernandes, Martins and Adriano, frightening amounts of strength and pace in these four young players. Another thing to note is that all four have a frightening long shot! There will be height down the spine of the team with Adriano 6'2, Diarra 6'3, Taylor 6'2, Roz 6'3. Pace at the back with Taylor and Roz, a calm head in Roz (we hope) and a gladiator spirit with Taylor. Industry and spirit with Beye and Baines down the full backs. Determination and bite in the middle of the park with Barton and Fernandes and the immense tower that is Diarra mopping things up behind them. Martins although many will say is a striker is still young and if he is selfless enough and trusts Big Sam and his men, he could become an outstanding wide forward as he is strong, quick, and hard working. He even has a creative pass in him and if he can wrap his foot round a cross like he can with a shot would be tremendous from this position. Adriano is a world beater who has lost his way (we all know how Big Sam likes these types) and has all the attributes to be more immense than Drogba has been in this division. He could well be on his way this summer with all the forwards Inter already have and his links with Emre and Martins may persuade him to come somewhere where he would be adored by 52k passionate fans every other week.

This is all fantasy so before anyone bashes me I want to just make this clear. I just hope that Sam and the new men in charge spend wisely and am looking forward to see what happens. I wouldn't be all that surprised if we saved some of the real cash for January and after a good start to the season we may be more likely to tempt some of the better players who catch Sam's eye ;)

Adriano - 20m, Manuel Fernandes 12m, Quaresma 10-15m, Diarra 5.5m, Baines 5m, Beye 2m, and a few token squad playing Allardyce cheapies ;)

This team although something of a fantasy isn't all that unrealistic to me and would be a top 4 side if they are grafted into a cohesive unit and all doing their jobs. There would be a flair of Quaresma, Fernandes, Martins and Adriano, frightening amounts of strength and pace in these four young players. Another thing to note is that all four have a frightening long shot! There will be height down the spine of the team with Adriano 6'2, Diarra 6'3, Taylor 6'2, Roz 6'3. Pace at the back with Taylor and Roz, a calm head in Roz (we hope) and a gladiator spirit with Taylor. Industry and spirit with Beye and Baines down the full backs. Determination and bite in the middle of the park with Barton and Fernandes and the immense tower that is Diarra mopping things up behind them. Martins although many will say is a striker is still young and if he is selfless enough and trusts Big Sam and his men, he could become an outstanding wide forward as he is strong, quick, and hard working. He even has a creative pass in him and if he can wrap his foot round a cross like he can with a shot would be tremendous from this position. Adriano is a world beater who has lost his way (we all know how Big Sam likes these types) and has all the attributes to be more immense than Drogba has been in this division. He could well be on his way this summer with all the forwards Inter already have and his links with Emre and Martins may persuade him to come somewhere where he would be adored by 52k passionate fans every other week.

This is all fantasy so before anyone bashes me I want to just make this clear. I just hope that Sam and the new men in charge spend wisely and am looking forward to see what happens. I wouldn't be all that surprised if we saved some of the real cash for January and after a good start to the season we may be more likely to tempt some of the better players who catch Sam's eye :razz:

I think you need to go lay down in a darkend room.

:blink:

How good is this news????????

it is Mort who will effectively run Newcastle on Ashley’s behalf and to whom Allardyce, the manager, will report directly.

Ding dong the witch is deed!

Oh and if we can buy bastian schweinsteiger, well fuck me I'm off to buy a lottery ticket!

Adriano - 20m, Manuel Fernandes 12m, Quaresma 10-15m, Diarra 5.5m, Baines 5m, Beye 2m, and a few token squad playing Allardyce cheapies :razz:

This is all fantasy so before anyone bashes me I want to just make this clear. I just hope that Sam and the new men in charge spend wisely and am looking forward to see what happens. I wouldn't be all that surprised if we saved some of the real cash for January and after a good start to the season we may be more likely to tempt some of the better players who catch Sam's eye :P

I think you need to go lay down in a darkend room.

:blink:

Yes sir, with a few of Ariano's more attractive looking fans please ;)

brazil_sexy_fan.jpg

How good is this news????????

it is Mort who will effectively run Newcastle on Ashley’s behalf and to whom Allardyce, the manager, will report directly.

Ding dong the witch is deed!

Amen! :blink:

Shepherd may still be there, but his power is gone. I can't see him hanging around long watching someone else doing it for him.

£50m in the hands of a decent manager and a chairman who doesn't tell his manager who he should spend the money on, dreamland!

but we are not the only club with new money and time will tell how decent a manager BS is now. Whilst I think this takeover will stop us falling further behind a lot of other clubs I dont really see it as a sign that we are gonna start winning things all of a sudden. I mean wont over half the premiership be owned by billionaires next season with still only 3 domestic trophies to go around.

Yes sir, with a few of Ariano's more attractive looking fans please :blink:

brazil_sexy_fan.jpg

So when are we going to see the attractive ones???

Like you'd kick that out of bed! ;)

Yes sir, with a few of Ariano's more attractive looking fans please :blink:

brazil_sexy_fan.jpg

So when are we going to see the attractive ones???

Like you'd kick that out of bed! ;)

Depends if she snores.

Prefer the brasil fan in your avatar MrBass

Not enough piercings or tattoos for Sammy's liking. ;)

If her and another bloke propositioned him however....

As long as it's not ronaldo!

I'm not having my balls touch that ugly bastid's as we go DP on her :blink:

Do we think Sam should spend all of that money this summer?

We are in a position now that not being in any European competition, we will struggle to sign really top players.

We might be better off keeping some of it until next season when we are (hopefully) able to offer European football.

Do we think Sam should spend all of that money this summer?

We are in a position now that not being in any European competition, we will struggle to sign really top players.

We might be better off keeping some of it until next season when we are (hopefully) able to offer European football.

Or amybe he might win something and then Laura loves him so much he decides to give him some more!