Big Sam to embark on £50m spending spree

Ketsbaia

Do we think Sam should spend all of that money this summer?

We are in a position now that not being in any European competition, we will struggle to sign really top players.

We might be better off keeping some of it until next season when we are (hopefully) able to offer European football.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think he's the type to spend it willy-nilly a la Souness/child in a sweet shop though.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are in a position now that not being in any European competition, we will struggle to sign really top players.

We might be better off keeping some of it until next season when we are (hopefully) able to offer European football.

Or amybe he might win something and then Laura loves him so much he decides to give him some more!

Stay off the crack Sammy :blink:

Or amybe he might win something and then Laura loves him so much he decides to give him some more!

If there's 50 mil on offer now, I'm sure there will be more in the future. But if there is say another 50 next season and Sam has been able to get us back into europe on 30mil then there's 70 next season with the ability to attract better players which is a very appealing proposition!

Stay off the crack Sammy :blink:

Who's crack?

That ugly brasilian chick's?

Sorry Alex I forgot this ;)

If there's 50 mil on offer now, I'm sure there will be more in the future. But if there is say another 50 next season and Sam has been able to get us back into europe on 30mil then there's 70 next season with the ability to attract better players which is a very appealing proposition!

Not going to happen.

Big Sam will 50 this season and if he doesn't spend it all, it won't change what he gets next season.

It's not like a savings fund.

The only thing that will effect how much he gets next season is where the club finishes.

Not going to happen.

Big Sam will 50 this season and if he doesn't spend it all, it won't change what he gets next season.

It's not like a savings fund.

The only thing that will effect how much he gets next season is where the club finishes.

You might be right. I would hope he will make sure he knows this for certain though. I just don't want to see us waste money on players who aren't that good just for the sake of it.

While i'm all for Freddy being ousted and someone else effectively running the club, i'm not getting too carried away yet. Just because its a new name doesn't guarantee that he's going to be a good decision maker when it comes to football matters. How do we know that he won't undermine the manager like Fred has done in the past?

Its a gamble many are willing to take, but i'm hanging fire on the excitement for the minute.

£50m

sensible wish list anyone?

The names touted about so far;

Baines £5

Beye £4

Hyppia £0

are all reasonable, but barely scratch the surface of our new spending power. But my optimistic gaze into the distance is tempered by the fact we're midtable mediocre right now, we're not in europe, we're going through a transition, we're not in London and we've won nowt in decades.

bar humbug.

Big Sam hasn't had this kind of money before and I don't think he will waste it like previous managers

Some sensible buys this summer and await the January window to fill the positions that he has had a chance to look at over the first half the season.

I very much doubt we will win owt this season - better to analyse the squad and look to build for the next season as the main challange for domestic / top 4

I agree with too many clubs have been bought this year so far so everyone has cash and prices will inflate if you get dragged into a bidding war

Either way, might be worth saving a few bob for January.

Didn't the ITK fella off Skunkers say that Ashley was willing to hoy even more money at the club if we were there or there abouts at Christmas?

Either way, might be worth saving a few bob for January.

Didn't the ITK fella off Skunkers say that Ashley was willing to hoy even more money at the club if we were there or there abouts at Christmas?

I don't know. :blink:

Obviously unless there's a direct quote the £50m is a figure the papers have decided to throw out there, so we don't know how much Big Sam will get.

There is clearly going to be some money there for him, perhaps alot of it and i'm intrigued as to who he'll go for. As it stands if the stories are true he's looking at the likes of Beye, Hypia, Geremi etc. who won't cost that much.

That would leave a hell of alot of money over for some signings that we haven't been linked with yet, who knows who they might be! Be nice to see a good amount sent on a left back, and preferably 2 LB's so we can dump Babayaro.

Anyone got any ideas on who they would like to see this money spent on?

Regardless of how much we have to spend we aren't going to be able to attract the likes of Kaka or Ronaldhino so we might as well be realistic.

Anyone got any ideas on who they would like to see this money spent on?

Regardless of how much we have to spend we aren't going to be able to attract the likes of Kaka or Ronaldhino so we might as well be realistic.

Tough one isn't it, we're not in europe and haven't done well in the prem for a while so it rules out a certain level of player on the whole. But we've pulled of big signings before and will do again!

I really want to see another top class CB and fullbacks coming in so that we never again see Baba and Carr as our fullback pairing!

Also whether he comes out publically and says it or just tells Big Sam i hope Owen decides for definite soon so the manager knows whether he has to chase another striker or not with the money available.

Bentley mebbies? For a bit of flair, another striker (Anelka if he doesn't go to Arsenal) plus about 3-4 defenders (RB, LB & CBx2).

Bentley mebbies? For a bit of flair, another striker (Anelka if he doesn't go to Arsenal) plus about 3-4 defenders (RB, LB & CBx2).

Bentley stood out a mile when i went to that U21 game. I doubt Blackbum would sell him - unless for silly money which I reckon we are not going to be involved in any more.

I think Roy Makaay wouldn't be a bad idea in case Owen goes.

Clearly we need two new starting fullbacks. Baines would be good for leftback but I can't think of anyone (realistic) that I would really like to see us go after for rightback.

We need at least cover at centreback and I'm not totally convinced with any of our wide players.

We could do with someone with that little spark of geinus somewhere in the attack too. Someone like Pedro.

Clearly we need two new starting fullbacks. Baines would be good for leftback but I can't think of anyone (realistic) that I would really like to see us go after for rightback.

We need at least cover at centreback and I'm not totally convinced with any of our wide players.

We could do with someone with that little spark of geinus somewhere in the attack too. Someone like Pedro.

Definitely would like to see 2 new starting fullbacks, and ideally a back up LB to kick Baba out the squad. The another CB or 2 and like you say a player with a bit of flair, who can do something out of nothing would be good.

I think Roy Makaay wouldn't be a bad idea in case Owen goes.

Good shout, he'd pretty much guarantee goals.