Big Sam to embark on £50m spending spree

Ketsbaia

I read somewhere today that Makaay was off to Feyenoord.

Nothing definite yet, but Bayern said that he will be available if they get Klose...

In other news Gio Van has just signed for Feyenoord on a free.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the fullbacks I would like to see two players who can provide good attacking support like Beresford used to.

I think it's one of the most important aspects of the fullbacks game these days and I our lack of it has been the main reason why our wingers (particularly on the left) stuggled so badly last season.

Our right side (where I would say we have a weaker player in Milner) looked far better when Nobby was supporting there.

I read somewhere today that Makaay was off to Feyenoord.

Nothing definite yet, but Bayern said that he will be available if they get Klose...

In other news Gio Van has just signed for Feyenoord on a free.

They apparently also sign Hofland from Wolfsburg. Another centre back who wouldn't have been a bad signing imho.

The problem with no European football is that it's unlikely that top quality players will join us without it, with West Ham, Villa and possibly Man City all having money to spend it's likely that we could end up battling them and paying over the odds for average players.

I'd rather the club either saved some until January or put a portion of it into signing top young players for our youth squad.

The problem with no European football is that it's unlikely that top quality players will join us without it, with West Ham, Villa and possibly Man City all having money to spend it's likely that we could end up battling them and paying over the odds for average players.

I'd rather the club either saved some until January or put a portion of it into signing top young players for our youth squad.

I do agree. But I still think there are good players who can get lured to England just by the prospect of playing in the Premierleague and making a step up from the leagues where they are playing. IMHO the aforementioned Hofland is one of them. He didn't play European football with Wolfsburg and he won't play with Feyernoord. But he is a very reliable defender with good leading abilities, something we really lack. And this kind of players isn't that expensive so that you can't push them down the pecking order when you can attract better players.

I do agree. But I still think there are good players who can get lured to England just by the prospect of playing in the Premierleague and making a step up from the leagues where they are playing. IMHO the aforementioned Hofland is one of them. He didn't play European football with Wolfsburg and he won't play with Feyernoord. But he is a very reliable defender with good leading abilities, something we really lack. And this kind of players isn't that expensive so that you can't push them down the pecking order when you can attract better players.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Hofland play, was he the lad that was highly rated a few years back but suffered a serious injury? CB/LB?

I'm not sure I've ever seen Hofland play, was he the lad that was highly rated a few years back but suffered a serious injury? CB/LB?

Centre-half, dubbed the new Stam by some when he first broke onto the scene.

Edited by alex

Yes, he was considered the new Jaap Stam in Holland before getting injured and falling down the pecking order at PSV. Moved to Germany and found his form again, even getting occasionally selected for the national team again. Solid defender, very strong (occasionally collecting too many bookings) and a leader (being captain in recent seasons). Not in the class of a Woodgate, but someone like Mellberg who could do a decent job.

I think I'd like to see the squad looked after this season.

We're very lacking in defence-another centre back(at the very least) or 2 would be needed. Possibly a starting defender ahead of Taylor/Rozehnal. Hyppiia wouldn't be the worst, I'd love Campbell here though.

As others have said, 1 starting left back and maybe even a back up left back for removal of Baba. Bridge would be my choice, and to repeat what David Kelly says, a natural attacking left back would be a huge plus for our left wingers. More support, overlapping, and more comfortable than playing Rampage there.

I'd like more competition for places in midfield too. Another holding midfielder, maybe that Diarra lad.

A creative midfielder would be needed. Flog Emre and try and get Alex in from Fenerbache(if I'm thinking of the right player).

Also, I don't think our current striking options are going to work out. If we sell one of MickeyO or Martins, then I'd like to see Anelka or someone like that brought in.

Edited by Barney