The Martins Haters....

bassplayerjj

This 22 year old lad scored 17 goals in his first season in English football, double that of any of his team mates. Previously he played with world class players at Inter in Serie A, a league very different to the Premiership. He had Sibierski and Dyer for company up front (they are not strikers the last time I checked). He was the target man in a side playing long ball football when he is 5'7. He was managed by Glenn Roeder. The man who got a very good West Ham side relegated.

He is as strong as an ox. He is one of the quickest players in the world. He has a tremendous leap for a small lad. He has a tremendously powerful shot with both feet. He is capable of making a killer pass. He has skills on the ball.

Arsene Wenger supposedly wants him. The man who made Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira into two of the most significant players in world football at a similar age Martins is now.

Many fans would be happy if we got rid of Martins for the supposed 13 million pound release clause he has.

Darren Bent is supposedly worth 17 million pounds.....

Anyone else see a problem with all this or am I just going mad?

IF YOU CAN HEAR ME BIG SAM AND MIKE ASHLEY, SORT THIS LAD OUT, TEAR UP HIS CONTRACT, GIVE HIM A BETTER ONE AND SEND MICHAEL OWEN AND HIS 110k+ A WEEK PACKING!!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take £13m in a shot if we could get Anelka. I don't hate him but his inability to do the basics worries me. I think he'll always be very inconsistent. 17 goals aye but 'only' 11 in the league. Not shit by any means but not great either. I know he was in a poor side but he was often poor himself (certainly more often than he was good). Plus, he's in his late 20's :blink:

I think he's worth keeping with a better manager, but he needs to work on his first touch as it's fucking appalling.

You see, I don't get this patter from people. Do you think he just needs to practice a bit and he'll get a good touch? He's a 22 year old professional footballer ffs.

I'm always unsure about Newcastle selling players who are 'rough round the edges' because they occasionally turn out to be class. JDT anyone?

Martins says he wants to stay, fair enough. £13million is a fair amount for a player i'm far from convinced by but i'd like to give him one more season.

he showed some bad touches but he also showed some very good touches last season. Did anyone see Henry play for Juventus? he looked far worse than Martins did last season surrounded by a far better team.

The thing is though Henry looked much better than Martins before he went to Juventus. He just struggled playing in a rigid wide-left position in a team with a manager who didn't even want him (i.e. Ancelotti after Lippi had left). The comparison isn't that valid imo.

he showed some bad touches but he also showed some very good touches last season. Did anyone see Henry play for Juventus? he looked far worse than Martins did last season surrounded by a far better team.

The thing is though Henry looked much better than Martins before he went to Juventus. He just struggled playing in a rigid wide-left position in a team with a manager who didn't even want him (i.e. Ancelotti after Lippi had left). The comparison isn't that valid imo.

At Monaco he scored 20 in 110, this is not the Henry we knew and loved and in the Prem. I also remember him well from World Cup 98. I remember thinking ''this player is lightning quick and looks very good with the ball'' not ''this player will become the greatest foreign striker the Premiership has ever seen''....

Edited by bassplayerjj

I think Martens is ok. Rough, but ok. I don't accept the stuff about Sam having a magic wand but i do think he can iron out a few basic flaws in Martens game. He will always be erratic but he can be a matchwinner and on that basis I would like him to stay.

Henry was exceptional at Monaco tbh. He almost ruined Steve Watsons career in the game over there. He hadnt played up front for a while when Wenger bought him - he played on the left at Monaco too. However, his touch was always good.

It depends if we have a choice and if there are people willing to come here who can score goals consistently. if there are then its fine by me. With the Michael Owen situation I wouldnt get rid of anyone tbh

At Monaco he scored 20 in 110, this is not the Henry we knew and loved and in the Prem. I also remember him well from World Cup 98. I remember thinking ''this player is lightning quick and looks very good with the ball'' not ''this player will become the greatest foreign striker the Premiership has ever seen''....

As a winger. Hence the goals to games ratio. Still class though.

Edited by alex

I like martins, want him to stay more than owen actually, I think he'll be great for us if we give him time and a better team around him

thats not to say I think he was perfect for us over the last year but he showed glimpses of what could be and with time he might just mature into the world beater that a lot of people obviously think he could.

I can see Martins successfully becoming one of the wide forwards if Sam does go down the 4-5-1, 4-3-3 route. Has all the right attributes there for me, a position where he gets the ball and has the space and time to explode much like Henry down that left hand side for Arsenal. I can't see Owen doing the same if he stays but you never know, we could be playing 4-4-2 against all the 'lesser' premiership teams and then oviously Owen would be one of the main men in that. I really don't know which is why we are discussing this in the early hours of the morning when Big Sam is probably dreaming up some new spells to cast on Dyer, N'Zogbia, Emre and Ameobi as he has done with his old team.

I'm just always pained to see potential unfulfilled and even if Luque get's another chance under Sam then maybe the magic wand he waved at Diouf could come in handy after all :blink:

Knowing our luck Sam will replace him with Alan Smith.

Shola more like. Anelka can replace Martins :blink:

I can't see Bolton selling us Anelka since we've pinched their manager and likely to pinch their backroom staff.

Edited by Baggio

I think Martins was a huge success last season, and the prospect of him receiving proper coaching this season can only serve to improve him still further.

Besides, I bought a new Toon shirt with the twats name on the back.

I think Martins was a huge success last season, and the prospect of him receiving proper coaching this season can only serve to improve him still further.

That's more your point..... trying to avoid a Hamman situation again? :blink:

;)

Martins is a raw talent and it would be very disappointing if he left after only 1 season. He's definitely got the ability but needs to work on offsides, first touch etc.

11 in the league and 17 in all comps in a team of such dross last season i would say was an excellent start from a player who has never played over here before. Its unbelievable the amount of people on here who if the player doesnt set the world alight in his first season want to get rid.

Playing devils advocate, I think some of the senior players came out and named Martins as one of the troublemakers at the club.

Did you buy a Hamman jersey Jimbo????

Some wankers ;) never learn!

Edited by sammynb

I'd keep him.....

And Owen as well. We need a pool of decent strikers, if we sell one of them and the other one gets injured, we'll be cursing the fact they've gone.

A top side in the Premiership needs 4 decent strikers. Can we not flog them the Sholanator instead? :blink:

Yes, I did, the week before the cup final (his fiinal match for the club)

I'd keep him.....

And Owen as well. We need a pool of decent strikers, if we sell one of them and the other one gets injured, we'll be cursing the fact they've gone.

A top side in the Premiership needs 4 decent strikers. Can we not flog them the Sholanator instead? :blink:

Just imagine the kind of player he could become under Wenger.

Serves him right for buying a shirt with a typo tbh...

Serves him right for buying a shirt with a typo tbh...

They'd run out of rrrrrrrr's!