The Martins Haters....

bassplayerjj

I'd like to see Martins stay. I think he's going to get better, and while Anelka is the superior player(if we could get him), Martins is several years younger.

I don't think Martins/Fatty/Owen will work next season either.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 15 minutes ago I said flogging Martins would be decent bit of business, which I still think it would, but do we really need the money now? While Martins has his defects such as a lack of touch and despite the fact he is lightning fast I've yet to see it used effectively, he is pretty decent in other areas. Personally I'd like to see Shola sold and then bring in someone like Anelka, then I think we really could say that we have 4 top class strikers.

Edited by ewerk

If we needed the money I'd sell him, but he's decent and has (in my opinion) a better chance of being a success at Newcastle than Anelka, more because Anelka would only see us as a stepping stone to bigger things and is more likely to want to sign for Arsenal than for us.

he's pacey, got a powerful finish, decent in the air for his height, hard working and would most likely be on smaller wages than Nicolas.

but like I say, we're not skint so why sell him?

I can see Martins successfully becoming one of the wide forwards if Sam does go down the 4-5-1, 4-3-3 route. Has all the right attributes there for me, a position where he gets the ball and has the space and time to explode much like Henry down that left hand side for Arsenal. I can't see Owen doing the same if he stays but you never know, we could be playing 4-4-2 against all the 'lesser' premiership teams and then oviously Owen would be one of the main men in that. I really don't know which is why we are discussing this in the early hours of the morning when Big Sam is probably dreaming up some new spells to cast on Dyer, N'Zogbia, Emre and Ameobi as he has done with his old team.

I'm just always pained to see potential unfulfilled and even if Luque get's another chance under Sam then maybe the magic wand he waved at Diouf could come in handy after all :blink:

Magic wand? Diouf is no better a person than he has ever been, and his goals to games ratio is shocking.

As for Martins though, I'd keep him and hope he progresses, as he is an extremely talented footballer. Unfortunately, he's extremely furstrating too.

I think we don't need the money and if the guy is happy to stay let him stay.

Some times last season he trapped the ball further than I can kick it but he's got something

that decent coaching will improve on.

Tactics and coaching must surely improve this season with big Sam

I think Martins was a huge success last season, and the prospect of him receiving proper coaching this season can only serve to improve him still further.

Besides, I bought a new Toon shirt with the twats name on the back.

That's more your point..... trying to avoid a Hamman situation again? :blink:

:razz:

Could be worse, you could have done the same as one of these fellas..... ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Newcastle-United-200...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/199...and-p-3119.html

A lad who sat near me bought a Marcelino toon top. That takes some beating.

Remember the guy who had the Andy Cole tattoo on his leg just as he was sold

Aye, I think it was either the day he was sold or the day before. :blink:

A lad who sat near me bought a Marcelino toon top. That takes some beating.

Remember the guy who had the Andy Cole tattoo on his leg just as he was sold

Aye, I think it was either the day he was sold or the day before. :unsure:

I remember the local news pixking up on some smart-arse Manc fan who'd gone into Dixon Sports in town and bought a Man Utd shirt with Cole 9 on the back....

Until someone pointed out Brian McClair had that shirt! :huh:

I wouldn't be desperate to sell Martins, 17 goals (whoever they came against) in his first season is a good haul for a young (possibly) player coming into a different culture.

Yes his touch and his passing are awful at times but I do believe we can see some improvement (he's never gonna be Zidane) with decent coaching. And with a decent team around him I'm sure he will do better.

That said £13m would be a decent profit if he wants to leave and wouldn't be crying over it if we could get Anelka or someone else of that sort of quality in his place.

I think Martins was a huge success last season, and the prospect of him receiving proper coaching this season can only serve to improve him still further.

That's more your point..... trying to avoid a Hamman situation again? :unsure:

;)

Could be worse, you could have done the same as one of these fellas..... :huh:

Serves him right <_<

Edited by Skol

That's more your point..... trying to avoid a Hamman situation again? :unsure:

;)

Could be worse, you could have done the same as one of these fellas..... :huh:

Serves him right <_<

Noticed it's an XXL, is that you Fish?

:unsure:

A mate of mine got a Pistone shirt one season and Basseda another. Basically we now use him as a divining rod, if he buys the shirt, the player will be shit.

Edit He also got Luque, but I'll wait until Albert leaves, before adding another victory to the predictive powers of my friend

Edited by The Fish

I wouldn't sell him to a rival club like. I don't want to see him banging in goals week after week for the fuckin' Gooners, while Mickey and Fatty sit on the sidelines nursing injuries and we play Dyer and Shola up front.

;)

A mate of mine got a Pistone shirt one season and Basseda another. Basically we now use him as a divining rod, if he buys the shirt, the player will be shit.

Edit He also got Luque, but I'll wait until Albert leaves, before adding another victory to the predictive powers of my friend

He sure can pick em. :unsure:

After a good period I seem to have put the skids on N'Zogbia's NUFC career (got a shirt with his name not long after Souness was sacked). :huh:

Skysports...

Sam Allardyce is hoping to convince Obafemi Martins to stay at Newcastle.

The Nigerian has a £13million get-out clause in his contract and has been linked with Arsenal following the sale of Thierry Henry to Barcelona.

With speculation also rife about Michael Owen's future on Tyneside, Allardyce plans to sit down with Martins next week and outline his ambitious vision for The Magpies.

He told Sky Sports News: "All I can say from the club's point of view and mine is that it is only speculation because we have had no official contact from anybody at Arsenal at the moment.

"Everybody knows about the clause situation he has - that leaves us in a very poor position as a football club.

"We are left in a very precarious position regarding that. All the speculation that is flying around is difficult to cope with, but it is something we will have to try to find out over the next few days.

"When Oba comes back, we will sit down and say, 'What exactly is the situation?' and if he has any problems, try to resolve them and hopefully persuade him Newcastle is the place for him next season."

Allardyce has no such plans to meet with Owen, as he is confident of keeping the England striker.

"I don't think there is any need to speak to Michael - that was all covered weeks and weeks ago, as far as I was concerned.

"There has been no speculation regarding Michael since then. Now it has moved on to Oba and when that sort of clause is inserted in a contract, those are the sort of players that bring up more speculation than everybody else."

wouldn't let him go for £13m especially when owens future is in doubt and if he goes and owen leaves as well we are gonna be left with viduka and ameobi. so if i was big sam i would really try to improve his contract and persuade him to stay with us.

wouldn't let him go for £13m especially when owens future is in doubt and if he goes and owen leaves as well we are gonna be left with viduka and ameobi. so if i was big sam i would really try to improve his contract and persuade him to stay with us.

Well the clause in his contract means we don't have much say in that...

The gooners on their forum don't seem to upset with the link... but some of them are just plain delusional!!!

He's every bit as good as Anelka if not better. He played some great stuff last season, even before he was scoring(while he was still settling) he played great football. He's strong, tricky and has a great shot, his hold up play is quality, his movement is good.

I don't see why people are complaining. Oh wait its cos he's not Eto'o or Kaka, sorry forgot where I was for a minute there.

He's light years ahead of Ade so I cant see any problem for £13m.