Major Terror Attack Foiled In London

ewerk

I believe that was one of the plots wasnt it? Ministry of Sound?

Oh and what was with the "kisses from LA bit?"

That bit was probably more important in what Mozza was trying to get across.

My main grind with the media and its nothing to do with coverage of some nutters trying to ram buildings with gas cannisters or whatever...Is the way they manage month after month to avoid talking about the real issues that face us as a country. And having studied it in the past how this agenda is unfolded purposefully to keep us distracted and worried.

Which is what? little green men? :lol:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main grind with the media and its nothing to do with coverage of some nutters trying to ram buildings with gas cannisters or whatever...Is the way they manage month after month to avoid talking about the real issues that face us as a country. And having studied it in the past how this agenda is unfolded purposefully to keep us distracted and worried.

killer motorbikes :outahere:

Sorry thought you were actually interested in proper ans...

I am very interested to know what is a bigger issue to this country than lunatics driving carbombs round the streets.

Guest alex

I am very interested to know what is a bigger issue to this country than lunatics driving carbombs round the streets.

Poverty, Education, the War. For a start.

You reckon? seriously?

Guest alex

You reckon? seriously?

I was being completely serious.

You reckon? seriously?

Tbh Labour has already killed more people than current terrorism ever could.

And frankly taken more liberties away than even the wildest wet dream of the most extreme fanatic.

You reckon? seriously?

Each to their own like, personally I think being told whats going on day to day in the news is more important than having a 15 minute segment each day about the quality of the spelling in our skools.

As for the war, you'd rather have a segment on a car bomb going off in Baghdad than Glasgow?

Guest alex

You reckon? seriously?

Each to their own like, personally I think being told whats going on day to day in the news is more important than having a 15 minute segment each day about the quality of the spelling in our skools.

As for the war, you'd rather have a segment on a car bomb going off in Baghdad than Glasgow?

No and that's not what I said. Do you want a proper debate or are you going to put words into my mouth? What has happened is obviously newsworthy and every step should be taken to try and prevent this sort of thing. It isn't the biggest issue any more than Madeline McCann's disappearance was. If you're arguing about what is the most newsworthy thing happening in the UK at the minute well, yes I agree. It obviously is. A few bungling arseholes with some misguided idea of what Islam is about isn't as important as what is going on in Iraq, etc.

It isn't the biggest issue any more than Madeline McCann's disappearance was.

I don't want to miscontrue what you're saying so just to clarify, are you saying that the recent terror attacks are no more newsworthy than a missing child?

Guest alex

I don't want to miscontrue what you're saying so just to clarify, are you saying that the recent terror attacks are no more newsworthy than a missing child?

Yes, you have misconstrued what I was saying.

Which is what? little green men? ;)

Clearly right at this moment it is deservedly making headlines (if a little hysterical) and it would be churlish to try and critique this. Part of the bigger issue is how it is reported and how the debate flows later.

There has been a habit since 7/7 to deliver on the hoof journalism regarding terrorism, that has often imo failed to delianate truth from fiction and there seems little desire to develop the debate beyond 'the enemy within' format and 'links with al quaida' more spurious the better.

In many ways the U.K. is at a crossroads regarding race/identity and also how the EU will develop (this also carries with it issues reg Turkey's entry).

Profiling of the 'home grown' terrorists and developing a dialogue with the Muslim community and the interchange of ideas that comes with that ought to be at the forefront yet is strangely missing from vast sections of the reporting.

From the commons report what we now know is that there is no consistant profile of British terrorists. They are from a wide range of backgrounds and even in some cases ethnicity iirc Kamel Bourgass had one Afro Caribbean parent. The debate would be better developed by the media in looking at the triggers and root causes of this new danger to our culture. IMO the continued 'them and us' style reporting is missing the key point - one where we need to address the grievances (Iraq, Afghanistan, Lebanon etc) and further needs to be done to understand the inner workings of this new 'militant identity' of young British Muslims. Practical counter-terrorism has always been prevention and that is facilitated by understanding the behaviour and also as mi5 have been quite successful in doing - infiltration.

The ideation of successful dismantling of this nub of danger (and it is and still remains a tiny minority) will reauire the full understanding of why British muslims are identifying with this wider cause and we also at the same time need to take the British public along with the debate, because if WE aren't all along for the ride the alienation and ghettoism and misunderstanding continues. The dabate still continues regarding the foreign policy blunders, but now we really need to understand what has driven people who we live with and have done peacefully for many years to have turned on us.

New Labour have been very good at steering the focus and debate away from own goals and also criminally simplifying the links with terrorism and id cards for one. And have continued to lie with reagard to how id cards will be used in the future. There are some topics that politicians love to brief journalist on, often the 'do something about it' kind. Cause the sure as hell don't want to dwell on the fact that the pensions is fucked, energy will be fucked in the next decade and that Britain has the highest amount of personal debt on the planet.

Far easier to brief and agenda set on banning smoking, building a couple of schools, or the 'War on Terrah'.

Peace. ;)

Which is what? little green men? ;)

Clearly right at this moment it is deservedly making headlines (if a little hysterical) and it would be churlish to try and critique this. Part of the bigger issue is how it is reported and how the debate flows later.

There has been a habit since 7/7 to deliver on the hoof journalism regarding terrorism, that has often imo failed to delianate truth from fiction and there seems little desire to develop the debate beyond 'the enemy within' format and 'links with al quaida' more spurious the better.

In many ways the U.K. is at a crossroads regarding race/identity and also how the EU will develop (this also carries with it issues reg Turkey's entry).

Profiling of the 'home grown' terrorists and developing a dialogue with the Muslim community and the interchange of ideas that comes with that ought to be at the forefront yet is strangely missing from vast sections of the reporting.

From the commons report what we now know is that there is no consistant profile of British terrorists. They are from a wide range of backgrounds and even in some cases ethnicity iirc Kamel Bourgass had one Afro Caribbean parent. The debate would be better developed by the media in looking at the triggers and root causes of this new danger to our culture. IMO the continued 'them and us' style reporting is missing the key point - one where we need to address the grievances (Iraq, Afghanistan, Lebanon etc) and further needs to be done to understand the inner workings of this new 'militant identity' of young British Muslims. Practical counter-terrorism has always been prevention and that is facilitated by understanding the behaviour and also as mi5 have been quite successful in doing - infiltration.

The ideation of successful dismantling of this nub of danger (and it is and still remains a tiny minority) will reauire the full understanding of why British muslims are identifying with this wider cause and we also at the same time need to take the British public along with the debate, because if WE aren't all along for the ride the alienation and ghettoism and misunderstanding continues. The dabate still continues regarding the foreign policy blunders, but now we really need to understand what has driven people who we live with and have done peacefully for many years to have turned on us.

New Labour have been very good at steering the focus and debate away from own goals and also criminally simplifying the links with terrorism and id cards for one. And have continued to lie with reagard to how id cards will be used in the future. There are some topics that politicians love to brief journalist on, often the 'do something about it' kind. Cause the sure as hell don't want to dwell on the fact that the pensions is fucked, energy will be fucked in the next decade and that Britain has the highest amount of personal debt on the planet.

Far easier to brief and agenda set on banning smoking, building a couple of schools, or the 'War on Terrah'.

Peace. ;)

I expect to see as much effort from government/society going into understanding extremism as there is into understanding the causes of crime, addiction, charverism, rising house prices etc etc

i.e. fuck all

Yes, you have misconstrued what I was saying.

So what was the point of the comparison then?

No and that's not what I said. Do you want a proper debate or are you going to put words into my mouth? What has happened is obviously newsworthy and every step should be taken to try and prevent this sort of thing. It isn't the biggest issue any more than Madeline McCann's disappearance was. If you're arguing about what is the most newsworthy thing happening in the UK at the minute well, yes I agree. It obviously is. A few bungling arseholes with some misguided idea of what Islam is about isn't as important as what is going on in Iraq, etc.

Im not putting words into mouths, the implication made originally was that the media report these things to keep other "more important issues out of the news" issues that you then said were Iraq, education and poverty.

Are you saying that education and poverty are being ignored by the government? Because thats not what Im seeing when I look at the money spent on both of those things.

More things they don't want to talk about:

http://www.healthdirect.co.uk/2007/06/labo...w-cost-2bn.html

"The increased use of external consultants by the labour government is costing the taxpayer nearly £2bn a year and is failing to ensure value for money, according to the public accounts committee. In a report published on Tuesday, the PAC estimates that in the past three years, spending on consultants in the public sector has risen by a third from £2.1bn in 2003-04 to £2.8bn in 2005-06, with central government accounting for £1.8bn, largely to increases in the NHS."

Edited by Parky

I'm guessing but I don't think this made many papers and if it did perhaps for one day.

http://www.healthdirect.co.uk/2007/06/crue...s-20000-to.html

"Cruel watchdog NICE condems 20,000 to blindness

Twenty thousand people will be condemned to blindness each year following a "cruel" and "appalling" decision by the health watchdog NICE, campaigners said today. The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (aka National Institute for Curbing Expenditure) has come under intense pressure to approve the drugs Lucentis (ranibizumab) and Macugen (pegaptanib) for use on the NHS.

The drugs treat wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD), which affects around a quarter of a million people. Wet AMD is the leading cause of sight loss in Britain, with 26,000 new cases each year.

Yesterday Nice issued draft guidance recommending that Macugen should not be used at all on the NHS.

It also only recommends Lucentis for about one in five patients with wet AMD, who have a particular type called predominantly classic subfoveal choroidal neovascularisation (CNV)."

I'm guessing but I don't think this made many papers and if it did perhaps for one day.

Twenty thousand people will be condemned to blindness each year following a "cruel" and "appalling" decision by the health watchdog NICE, campaigners said today. The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (aka National Institute for Curbing Expenditure) has come under intense pressure to approve the drugs Lucentis (ranibizumab) and Macugen (pegaptanib) for use on the NHS.

The drugs treat wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD), which affects around a quarter of a million people. Wet AMD is the leading cause of sight loss in Britain, with 26,000 new cases each year.

Yesterday Nice issued draft guidance recommending that Macugen should not be used at all on the NHS.

It also only recommends Lucentis for about one in five patients with wet AMD, who have a particular type called predominantly classic subfoveal choroidal neovascularisation (CNV)."

It was condemed to page 2 of The Daily Express by the "Diana's death linked to asylum seekers" story.

got any figures for the amount of money it would cost if NICE approved every single drug that has been appearing in stories from 'campaigners'?

It was condemed to page 2 of The Daily Express by the "Diana's death linked to asylum seekers" story.

Aye Diana and Asylum the well worn 'double top' of the lackey editors.

got any figures for the amount of money it would cost if NICE approved every single drug that has been appearing in stories from 'campaigners'?

Aye it's fine if you go blind or go senile if it costs "too much" money.

Just so long as it doesn't cost too much treating smokers, eh? ;)

Aye it's fine if you go blind or go senile if it costs "too much" money.

Just so long as it doesn't cost too much treating smokers, eh? ;)

I thought we made more money out of smokers than we spent?

do you have a clue what the costs of all these applications are or was this a daft off topic post for the hell of it?