Major Terror Attack Foiled In London

ewerk

got any figures for the amount of money it would cost if NICE approved every single drug that has been appearing in stories from 'campaigners'?

Aye it's fine if you go blind or go senile if it costs "too much" money.

Just so long as it doesn't cost too much treating smokers, eh? ;)

I thought we made more money out of smokers than we spent?

do you have a clue what the costs of all these applications are or was this a daft off topic post for the hell of it?

Blindness £10,700 to £25,000 for a year (although there is a fairly low number of people with this issue).

Senility about £2.50 a day.

Then there's all the cancer drugs issues, but I don't know costings of that.

What is the exact cost of your mind or your sight in your opinion then?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex

No and that's not what I said. Do you want a proper debate or are you going to put words into my mouth? What has happened is obviously newsworthy and every step should be taken to try and prevent this sort of thing. It isn't the biggest issue any more than Madeline McCann's disappearance was. If you're arguing about what is the most newsworthy thing happening in the UK at the minute well, yes I agree. It obviously is. A few bungling arseholes with some misguided idea of what Islam is about isn't as important as what is going on in Iraq, etc.

Im not putting words into mouths, the implication made originally was that the media report these things to keep other "more important issues out of the news" issues that you then said were Iraq, education and poverty.

Are you saying that education and poverty are being ignored by the government? Because thats not what Im seeing when I look at the money spent on both of those things.

That doesn't even make sense - we're talking about the media so that implies I think the Government are ignoring certain issues?

Anyway, never mind.

Edited by alex

Im not putting words into mouths, the implication made originally was that the media report these things to keep other "more important issues out of the news" issues that you then said were Iraq, education and poverty.

Are you saying that education and poverty are being ignored by the government? Because thats not what Im seeing when I look at the money spent on both of those things.

That doesn't even make sense - we're talking about the media so that implies I think the Government are ignoring certain issues?

Anyway, never mind.

Was that a "talk to the hand" moment? ;)

I was talking about the media but then checked whether thats what you were on about in case Id missed some fundamental shift in the discussion.

Guest alex

Anyway, never mind.

I was talking about the media but then checked whether thats what you were on about in case Id missed some fundamental shift in the discussion.

No that was me pointing out you're argument didn't make sense because you seemed to be attributing something I hadn't said to me for the second time in a row. It was more of a 'what's the point?' moment.

Anyway, never mind.

No that was me pointing out you're argument didn't make sense because you seemed to be attributing something I hadn't said to me for the second time in a row. It was more of a 'what's the point?' moment.

I never knowingly wrongly quoted you, if I did so then apologies, the way I saw it Bop or Perky (cant remember which) made a statement that these things were being used to keep more important issues out of the news, when I questioned what issues were more important you replied with Poverty, Education and the war. Thats where I, quite understandably assumed you meant that it was more important to discuss poverty on our front pages than a car bomb in London or apparent suicide bombers in Glasgow.

Anyway, never mind.

I never knowingly wrongly quoted you, if I did so then apologies, the way I saw it Bop or Perky (cant remember which) made a statement that these things were being used to keep more important issues out of the news, when I questioned what issues were more important you replied with Poverty, Education and the war. Thats where I, quite understandably assumed you meant that it was more important to discuss poverty on our front pages than a car bomb in London or apparent suicide bombers in Glasgow.

Huh again with the stuff I've never said.

(although if you're saying this government don't use big new to bury bad news you are mad and haven't been paying attention to several of the many Labour sleaze scandles of recent years)

Edited by Fop

I'm guessing but I don't think this made many papers and if it did perhaps for one day.

http://www.healthdirect.co.uk/2007/06/crue...s-20000-to.html

"Cruel watchdog NICE condems 20,000 to blindness

Twenty thousand people will be condemned to blindness each year following a "cruel" and "appalling" decision by the health watchdog NICE, campaigners said today. The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (aka National Institute for Curbing Expenditure) has come under intense pressure to approve the drugs Lucentis (ranibizumab) and Macugen (pegaptanib) for use on the NHS.

The drugs treat wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD), which affects around a quarter of a million people. Wet AMD is the leading cause of sight loss in Britain, with 26,000 new cases each year.

Yesterday Nice issued draft guidance recommending that Macugen should not be used at all on the NHS.

It also only recommends Lucentis for about one in five patients with wet AMD, who have a particular type called predominantly classic subfoveal choroidal neovascularisation (CNV)."

Absolute crap, is that supposed to be a serious piece of journalism?

Some of the comments left are class...

Jack Who!!! Jon Smeaton pishes over him!!! Although he probably widnae pish oan an Islamic terrorist if he wiz oan fire!!! Just boots fuck oot o’ them!!! Gaun yersel’ Jon!!!

top notch - Al Queda? Al f%ckin Queda? Al Whae-da, mair like. The man clotheslined a known terrorist got the boot ni and lived to tell the tale - over and over again. Salmond? The honours if you please………

Top man, no namby pamby fannying about - you got right in to lamp them and give them a good boot.

Legend

Only in Glasgow can some guy who sets out on a “holy jihad” and destiny with 84 virgins in paradise end up on fire from head to toe, having a square go with a bystander and getting maced by the police. Get it right up you, mate! lol

I hate terrorists. I wish I could emphasise how much I hate them. Every bit of me just detests these cowardly scum.

What I hate the most is 'educated' terrorists. To a certain degree I can understand terrorists who are uneducated being suckered into 'the cause', but these 'educated' terrorists who seem to be able to carry out their dispicable acts whilst maintaining some sort rationalisation and reason for their cowardly murdering makes every sinew of my body want to retaliate. If it had been me that had brought that scum coward to the ground at Glasgow, the police would have had to drag me off him or I would have ripped his head off; believe me when I say I am sincere in every respect about that.

Guest alex

I hate terrorists. I wish I could emphasise how much I hate them. Every bit of me just detests these cowardly scum.

What I hate the most is 'educated' terrorists. To a certain degree I can understand terrorists who are uneducated being suckered into 'the cause', but these 'educated' terrorists who seem to be able to carry out their dispicable acts whilst maintaining some sort rationalisation and reason for their cowardly murdering makes every sinew of my body want to retaliate. If it had been me that had brought that scum coward to the ground at Glasgow, the police would have had to drag me off him or I would have ripped his head off; believe me when I say I am sincere in every respect about that.

When I heard about it I must admit my first instinct was that to hope that he had been horrifically burnt. Deserved to be.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgo...est/6262266.stm

Baggage handler becomes web hero

An airport worker who tackled the suspected Glasgow Airport bombers has become an overnight internet phenomenon thanks to a tribute website.

John Smeaton told the BBC how he had raced to help a police officer restrain the suspects after they crashed a burning Jeep into the terminal.

Just two days after the attack, a website has been set up in honour of baggage handler Mr Smeaton's heroism.

The site urged visitors to 'pledge a pint' to Mr Smeaton as a reward.

In an interview with the BBC immediately after Saturday's attack, Mr Smeaton, from Erskine, Renfrewshire, described how he had seen the two terror suspects getting out of the burning vehicle and attacking a lone policeman who attempted to subdue them.

The interview, which was broadcast around the world, saw Mr Smeaton describe how his first thought on being confronted by the two desperate suspects in a burning car as he smoked a cigarette during his break was: "What's the score? I've got to get this sorted."

He said: "I thought 'that's not right' and ran over to assist. All that was going through my mind was I've got to help the policeman, I'm not letting these guys get away with this."

What's the score? I've got to get this sorted

John Smeaton

Baggage Handler

The website claimed Mr Smeaton's "have-a-go" attitude was typical of the Glaswegian spirit, and hailed him as the airport's answer to Jack Bauer, the all-action hero of American TV drama 24.

The website said it was attempting to raise enough money to buy Mr Smeaton, who works for Airway Handling, 1000 pints, and featured links to clips of the interviews he conducted with the world's media, including the BBC.

"Here's to John. This man shows us that the law-abiding, honest, brave citizen is still very much with us," the site proclaimed.

"Here's to his heroism, his straightforward belief in right and wrong, his support for law and order, and his willingness to give a good kicking to someone richly deserving it."

The site has already attracted thousands of visitors, with many leaving comments praising Mr Smeaton's actions.

Al Quaida is an IDEA not an organsiation like the IRA

Anyone can be a member - you just have to have the same lunatic ideas and aims

I'm gonna be in London this weekend coming. If there's any bother, there'll be nowt the matter, let me tell you!

Lord, help us....

I'm glad I'm going up north........

these guys are pretty amateur

gas bottles will "cook off" if they're in a major building fire but just setting light to the outside ain't going to do it

and its wise to take the petrol out of the cans if you want an explosion - you need a gas /air mix ...................................

sounds as if they didn't experiment very much

gas bottles will "cook off" if they're in a major building fire but just setting light to the outside ain't going to do it

and its wise to take the petrol out of the cans if you want an explosion - you need a gas /air mix ...................................

Hark at the fucking terrorist specialst.... :pray:

Rob I was on the M25 a couple of years back when a lorry carry those things caught light. Trust me, they fucking explode in a fire!

Oh and Gemmill........ <_<

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgo...est/6262266.stm

Baggage handler becomes web hero

An airport worker who tackled the suspected Glasgow Airport bombers has become an overnight internet phenomenon thanks to a tribute website.

John Smeaton told the BBC how he had raced to help a police officer restrain the suspects after they crashed a burning Jeep into the terminal.

Just two days after the attack, a website has been set up in honour of baggage handler Mr Smeaton's heroism.

The site urged visitors to 'pledge a pint' to Mr Smeaton as a reward.

In an interview with the BBC immediately after Saturday's attack, Mr Smeaton, from Erskine, Renfrewshire, described how he had seen the two terror suspects getting out of the burning vehicle and attacking a lone policeman who attempted to subdue them.

The interview, which was broadcast around the world, saw Mr Smeaton describe how his first thought on being confronted by the two desperate suspects in a burning car as he smoked a cigarette during his break was: "What's the score? I've got to get this sorted."

He said: "I thought 'that's not right' and ran over to assist. All that was going through my mind was I've got to help the policeman, I'm not letting these guys get away with this."

What's the score? I've got to get this sorted

John Smeaton

Baggage Handler

The website claimed Mr Smeaton's "have-a-go" attitude was typical of the Glaswegian spirit, and hailed him as the airport's answer to Jack Bauer, the all-action hero of American TV drama 24.

The website said it was attempting to raise enough money to buy Mr Smeaton, who works for Airway Handling, 1000 pints, and featured links to clips of the interviews he conducted with the world's media, including the BBC.

"Here's to John. This man shows us that the law-abiding, honest, brave citizen is still very much with us," the site proclaimed.

"Here's to his heroism, his straightforward belief in right and wrong, his support for law and order, and his willingness to give a good kicking to someone richly deserving it."

The site has already attracted thousands of visitors, with many leaving comments praising Mr Smeaton's actions.

Over six hundred generous people have already ponied up £3 to buy John a pint through Paypal, leaving the site with less than 400 to go.... :pray:

They are also campaigning for him to make an appearance at T in the Park at the weekend..

Looking at it they did just about everything wrong. They probably could have done more damage phoning in a bomb threat the idiots.

Whatever their cause turns out to be...Violence against civvies is not the way.