Smokers suck

Kevin Carr's Gloves

Most of the smokers I speak to aren't at all bothered by the ban. Most people mentioning the ban seem to be smug, self-righteous non-smokers.

That's quite refreshing to hear as I have experienced the complete opposite - persecution seems to be the general feeling. I hope your associates are rather more indicative of the nation's smokers than mine, so we wont have any great degree of moaning and whinging and challenging of the law when it's introduced.

After all, when smokers realise why this law is actually being introduced they surely cannot be against it. Your smoking friends must appreciate why the law is being made, making them highly enlightened people - I congratulate them.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely fucking stupid goings on at my place. Some people are arguing they should be given paid leave and go on courses (which the companies also pay for) to help them give up.

Fuck off! :lol:

Absolutely fucking stupid goings on at my place. Some people are arguing they should be given paid leave and go on courses (which the companies also pay for) to help them give up.

Fuck off! :lol:

Tell them they can save all that time and money by using the 100% effective and simple method of giving up smoking. Its called "not putting a cigarette in your mouth ever again" and amazingly it always works.

However it does require some will power, strength of character, willingness to suffer as you get withdrawal symptoms etc. but anyone who says they can't give up is talking complete and utter bollocks, they mean they won't give up because it isn't easy.

I've known people who gave up, it was hard, they suffered for it but they did it by never picking another cig up and without patches, chewing gum or any of the other things. Though if they help then there's nowt wrong with using them.

A lot of the people against it are pissed-off smokers though, you must admit. I've got mixed feelings about it. It smacks of the nanny state and I'm not sure how much difference it'll make to public health. It's probably for best overall though. And it's pretty much EU-wide now isn't it? Could be wrong there but I think it's come in in Italy, France etc. where they pretty much smoke like chimneys.

It's hardly the most pressing issue in society like.

All seriousness though I think its a good thing (the ban), I know quite a few people are using it as a spur to give up. Obviously not everyone is going to manage it but if a few do its a good thing.

All seriousness though I think its a good thing (the ban), I know quite a few people are using it as a spur to give up. Obviously not everyone is going to manage it but if a few do its a good thing.

Anecdotal evidence would suggest a lot of smokers trying to give up 'fall off the wagon' as it were down the pub.

Edited by alex

Anecdotal evidence would suggest a lot of smokers trying to give up 'fall off the wagon' as it were down the pub.

Yep heard that a few times, those who have given up but found it too hard when they have gone out at the weekened and been surrounded by smoke.

It's gonna be fucking great.

He can hear the sound of fucking Frosties hitting his fucking plate.

:lol:

can't wait for the smoking ban and like hips I'm surprised that most of Sima's smoking buddies aren't bothered , because most of the smokers I know are falling over themselves to point out how unfair it is.

The people most in favour are the ex-smokers though, myself included. Perhaps it's a heightened awareness of the smell or just an over-inflated sense of acheivement.

either way it'll be nice to come home without the stench of stale smoke lingering around the house for days on end

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20070629/tuk-...an-dba1618.html

It's not fair we are not allowed to poison others lungs anymore. We have the right to cause lung cancer in others.

Wankers.

In all honesty, much as I'll prefer a smoke free atmosphere, the second hand smoke hysetria maybe the most over egged nonsense in history.

Outside of young children at home and people that work 30+ hours a week in (preivously) smoky bars/pubs the actual increase in incidence of anything second hand smoke related (over and above your average pollution/every day lifestyle issues) is very, very small.

The thing that worries me is if they'll basically make all this stuff up (which is what they are doing, very, very loosely basing it on science and then exaggerating everything to the nth degree) about second hand smoke to push though an agenda what will they use it on next?

either way it'll be nice to come home without the stench of stale smoke lingering around the house for days on end

That will actually be the main "health" benefit to 99% of non-smokers, it starts to get a bit bizarre when you realise the government have basically banned a smell. :lol::outahere:

(although it will be nice)

I personally can't wait to see the fuckas at wok shivering in the cold open smoking shelters from Monday!

Still seething though as they don't lose any time when they go for a tab yet if I take longer than 10 minutes to take a shite I get the evil eye!

Might take up smoking and take my shites in the smokers shelter from now on!

smoking at work comes under employee perks, not rights

you need to see your HR department and ask to see the company policy on work-time smoking

I am HR and the policy allows them to smoke without keying out, other area's such as Ragina's (assume she's Inland Revenue) have to clock out.

Strange, everyone I know from BA, CSA, NTC etc all have to key out.

Having worked for the 2nd organisation you mentioned for 5 years I can guarantee you that they don't have to clock out & Wacky will confirm. Perhaps frontline staff are different but I don't know anyone from that part of the business, can see it being possible like.

We've had the ban in Scotland for over a year now and it is absolutely brilliant going to the pub without having to breathe in other people's smoke. For the first while it was a huge talking point but now people are just used to it, personally I've found it really strange recently going in to pubs in England where people were smoking.

if the only argument against a smoking ban is this fear of a nanny state then I'm not too bothered. I see this ban as protecting my right to breathe smoke free air, regardless of the proportional risk. I don't see it as an example of government hand holding gone wrong in the same way as I see ASBOs

I genuinely don't see a downside in this, even if it simply forces the smokers outside and nobody actually quits.

if the only argument against a smoking ban is this fear of a nanny state then I'm not too bothered. I see this ban as protecting my right to breathe smoke free air, regardless of the proportional risk. I don't see it as an example of government hand holding gone wrong in the same way as I see ASBOs

I genuinely don't see a downside in this, even if it simply forces the smokers outside and nobody actually quits.

Well ignoring the fact their are basically lying to everyone (I guess people simply expect that from their elected officials these days).

The only downside is really IF they use the same methods (silly scare tactics and science misconstrued to the point of being a lie - it's a bigger public deception than the dodgey dossier ever was) to ban something else (motorbikes, abortions, chips, whatever - it's actually quite amazing how draconian this legislation is if you look at it out of the direct context).

Of course the British government would never do anything like that would they. :lol:

I'm sure that it is entirely possible to take things to a terrifying point mate, but honestly.. it's a smoking ban.

I know alot of sandalistas wet themselves everytime some piece of legislation is introduced that in some way seems to take decisions away from the general public. And a lot of the time I'm right behind them smoking a joint and damning the man.

If it's just the precedent that worries you I'd remind you that an educated populace will only tolerate so much before they revolt. Not neccesarily a violent change, but if the government of this country truly employed practise that sits better in an Orson Welles book there would be a change.

I've already made the (not very bold) prediction that we'll start seeing a "right-wing" backlash against this current "liberal" society where one mans "rights" outweigh the good of the nation as a whole. I know this will put me in line for a lot of stick on here because in general the people who exercise freedoms online tend to sit more on the left of the political seesaw, but that's what makes this place interesting.

ASBOs, the backwards welfare state, the horrible mess that privatisiation left some services and the horrible state that failing to privatise other services has created. The general malaise that afflicts the youth of the country and the distinct lack of community outside of rural England.

I reckon we'll see stricter and "nanny"tastic directions being suggested as an answer.

obviously it's NOT the answer, but imo we need to do something to fix this ailing country. I just hope there are far far smarter people about than the last few of governments.

*Disclaimer, all terms I've used are general and should under no circumstances be taken as definitive or literal interpretations.

I'm going clubbing tomorrow night (Saturday night) and when it comes to 12am will the smoking ban be in place? or does it not officially start till the next days opening hours?

I'm going clubbing tomorrow night (Saturday night) and when it comes to 12am will the smoking ban be in place? or does it not officially start till the next days opening hours?

I was wondering this one tonight- get the DJ to stop the music and put an announcement out to stop!

starts at 6am on Sunday

as the Fish rightly says 6.00a.m on Sunday...and i know we are all giving the grest huzzah to it but just thuink if we wll packed in the revenue that would be lost :lol: