Smokers suck

Kevin Carr's Gloves

When is the last time people felt so strongly against something they did something about it and actually made a difference? People feel strongly about lots of different things but rarely do they ever do something about it. I think its fair to say that a lot of people (especially non-smokers) though are very happy about this new law coming in.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to raise a different comparison, the maximum dose of radiation that the HSE deems acceptable for the general public to exposed to is 20uSv per year. This level increases the risk of cancer by 0.00012% (and is 135 times smaller then the UK average background radiation level).

I don't have any figures for second hand smoke but I'd expect that it increases the risk of cancer by more then that amount.

Personally I like it where the council has surveyed for a gas risk (either explosive, poisioness or even in some cases radiation gas risks - the radioactive gas kills at least 2500 people a year from lung cancer in the UK - and on the whole much more likely and risky than 2ndry smoke) and then refuses to tell anyone living there because (not surprisingly) no one would want to live there and house prices in that area would crash.

I have to wonder about your opinion on this though Bazooka and Kevin for that matter (and a solution other than the councils ignore it).

....as long as it doesn't stink up their clothes they're pretty relaxed about it.

Indeed. :lol:

If you let me know where it has happened I will campaign against it. The same as I campaigned against building houses beneath power lines and campaigned against greenfield development. I am just not an idiot who thinks smokng is the same as using a car.

....that's cause you know cars are worse right?

I want all cars to be powered by a non polluting fuel. I also want public transport to be improved so it is a more viable option. I also would like the introduction of real enforced cycle routes to stop cyclists being nearly killed by idiot drivers. If you looked at the thread start you would see that the thread is about smokers who believe the ban is an infringement of their rights without taking into account the rights of others. Thus enforcing my personal opinion that some smokers are the most selfish people in the world.

Selfish people built the world.

When is the last time people felt so strongly against something they did something about it and actually made a difference? People feel strongly about lots of different things but rarely do they ever do something about it. I think its fair to say that a lot of people (especially non-smokers) though are very happy about this new law coming in.

People love a new law these days it seems.

Babylon? :lol:

what are these other jobs where the risk is not related to the job at hand and nothing is done to reduce it?

If I want to be a City trader I know that long hours and high levels of stress are involved, this could impact on my health, life and relationships but again these risks are well known so if I went into that line of work I accept these risks.

Police face the chance of being killed or injured, body protection and guns for all the police would reduce the risk yet aren't issued.

Soldiers face the risk of being blown up in road side bombs yet aren't all supplied with bomb-proof vehicles.

Passive smoking is an occupational hazard, if you don't like it then don't work in a bar, as I have said, there are plenty of alternative jobs.

I'm sorry, but as your examples show, this is a really weak argument

I ask again, why do you think someone applying to stack shelves in Tescos doesn't have to put up with passive smoking?

what are these other jobs where the risk is not related to the job at hand and nothing is done to reduce it?

If I want to be a City trader I know that long hours and high levels of stress are involved, this could impact on my health, life and relationships but again these risks are well known so if I went into that line of work I accept these risks.

Police face the chance of being killed or injured, body protection and guns for all the police would reduce the risk yet aren't issued.

Soldiers face the risk of being blown up in road side bombs yet aren't all supplied with bomb-proof vehicles.

Passive smoking is an occupational hazard, if you don't like it then don't work in a bar, as I have said, there are plenty of alternative jobs.

I ask again, why do you think someone applying to stack shelves in Tescos doesn't have to put up with passive smoking?

He'd be long dead from the slippery floors shirley?

collapsed from the fumes in the car park no doubt

collapsed from the fumes in the car park no doubt

:lol:

People don't go to Tesco to relax and have a good time, they go there to shop, people do go to the pub to have a smoke and a drink, it's socially accepted.

Edited by ewerk

People don't go to Tesco to relax and have a good time, they go there to shop, people do go to the pub to have a smoke and a drink, it's socially accepted.

I know a lot of people who don't go to the pub to smoke and are very happy that soon there wont be others around them doing it.

I know a lot of people who don't go to the pub to smoke and are very happy that soon there wont be others around them doing it.

As long as you're all happy when you have to pick up the shortfall in the tax revenue. :lol:

Is it really THAT difficult for a smoker to go outside?

If you haven't been a smoker then you perhaps don't realise how satisfying it is to sit down with a fag and a pint, it adds to the pub experience.

I have been a smoker and yes it was satisfying however I also find it satisfying having a wank but Im sure its not acceptable to drop me kegs and crack one off in the Dog and Duck on a Saturday afternoon.

Is it really THAT difficult for a smoker to go outside?

If you haven't been a smoker then you perhaps don't realise how satisfying it is to sit down with a fag and a pint, it adds to the pub experience.

I have been a smoker and yes it was satisfying however I also find it satisfying having a wank but Im sure its not acceptable to drop me kegs and crack one off in the Dog and Duck on a Saturday afternoon.

Trust me, its verymuch frowned upon in most circles.

As long as you're all happy when you have to pick up the shortfall in the tax revenue. :lol:

Not working from any stats or anything here but if smoking does drop enough to have an effect on tax revenue then I would guess there would also be an effect on smokers using up NHS resources?

Not working from any stats or anything here but if smoking does drop enough to have an effect on tax revenue then I would guess there would also be an effect on smokers using up NHS resources?

....and here's the twist...Smokers DIE they don't hang around for years sucking up state funds in pensions, healthcare or whatever... :outahere:

As long as you're all happy when you have to pick up the shortfall in the tax revenue. :outahere:

....and here's the twist...Smokers DIE they don't hang around for years sucking up state funds in pensions, healthcare or whatever... <_<

So smokers don't cost the NHS anything, they are healthy their whole lives and one day just drop dead? :lol::drinks:

As long as you're all happy when you have to pick up the shortfall in the tax revenue. :outahere:

....and here's the twist...Smokers DIE they don't hang around for years sucking up state funds in pensions, healthcare or whatever... <_<

So smokers don't cost the NHS anything, they are healthy their whole lives and one day just drop dead? :lol::drinks:

Try reading.

Try reading.

I did, healthcare thing still applies.

Try reading.

I did, healthcare thing still applies.

You just make things up and then pretend it's what was said. Who are you Vic? <_<

Me make things up? Thats a bit rich isn't it Parklife?

What you assume I said is clearly not what I said that much is clear.

In the general population who lives longer on average smokers or non-smokers?

Be careful. :lol:

it's a job involving exposure to people who might smoke, there's no difference from an employment perspective

and as for socially acceptable, don't make me laugh, you're living in the fifties

it's a job involving exposure to people who might smoke, there's no difference from an employment perspective

and as for socially acceptable, don't make me laugh, you're living in the fifties

Every job exposes you to people who might smoke, there's a difference between where it is and isn't socially acceptable. Are you telling me that it's socially unacceptable to smoke in a bar? I've never seen anyone get shit for having a cigarette in a pub.

Me make things up? Thats a bit rich isn't it Parklife?

What you assume I said is clearly not what I said that much is clear.

In the general population who lives longer on average smokers or non-smokers?

Be careful. :lol:

Not really.

I would say (at a guess) smokers probably like longer, would like to know who cost the NHS more money though. Smokers who are in and out for various smoking related illnesses or those who don't smoke and live that bit longer.

I would say (at a guess) smokers probably like longer, would like to know who cost the NHS more money though. Smokers who are in and out for various smoking related illnesses or those who don't smoke and live that bit longer.

Tax on tobacco raises £10.5bn a year, NHS expenditure on smoking related illnesses is £1.7bn, those figures come from an anti-smoking website. http://www.ash.org.uk/html/smuggling/html/whytax99.html

The argument that smokers cost the NHS money is a false one.