Liverpool to land £26.5m Torres

Scottish Mag

Liverpool are on the brink of sealing a club record £26.5m deal to sign Atletico Madrid's Fernando Torres.

BBC Sport understands a transfer has now been agreed between Liverpool and Atletico, and only a late change of heart in Spain will scupper the deal.

Liverpool's Luis Garcia is likely to go in the opposite direction for £4.5m, but the Torres deal will not collapse if he rejects the switch.

Boss Rafa Benitez is being linked with Manchester United's Gabriel Heinze.

Argentine defender Heinze is currently playing in the Copa America, but there is growing speculation Liverpool will try to do a deal for the 29-year-old.

It may prove complicated, however, with fierce rivals Liverpool and United notoriously reluctant to sell players to each other.

Torres is Liverpool's main priority, and there is hope that he could put pen to paper within the next few days.

Liverpool officials are playing their cards close to their chest on what will be a move that shatters their previous club record deal, the £14m paid to Auxerre for Djibril Cisse three seasons ago.

But it is understood the framework of the Torres move is finally in place between the two clubs after lengthy and complicated negotiations - although Liverpool remain cautious until it is actually signed and sealed.

Liverpool's approach is understandable given that Torres has reportedly been leaving Atletico for several seasons, only for moves to fall at the final hurdle.

Spanish international Garcia is expected to sign for Atletico, but if he remains at Anfield, Liverpool's new owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks will pay straight cash for Torres.

Torres, 23, is currently on holiday until early July, but Benitez remains hopeful of confirming the deal then, with personal terms not expected to be a problem.

Atletico fans held a protest at the possible deal, and a club spokesman has tried to cool suggestions that move is now imminent.

The spokesman said: "The player is on holiday at the moment and will report back to training on 9 July for an Intertoto match.

"At the moment, any talk of a move is just speculation and we are still hopeful that Fernando will be with us next season."

Atletico are reluctant to sell, but Torres is believed to be keen to link up with Benitez.

Benitez wants to land Torres to provide a spearhead for an assault on the title - and also allow Gillett and Hicks to demonstrate their own financial commitment to his plans.

Torres has been consistently linked with a move to England, particularly with Arsenal and Chelsea, but Liverpool are now set to win the race.

If he signs, he will join fellow countrymen Garcia, Pepe Reina and Xabi Alonso, as well as boss Benitez.

Gil Marin, Atletico's major shareholder insisted that Torres is not irreplaceable.

"Nobody is indispensable. No player by himself, very good though he is, is able to make a team achieve its aims," Gil Marin said on Punto Radio.

"We have spoken to him and told him we would like him to stay. It is normal that he has doubts. It is normal that the offers and everything surrounding them has made him think."

Torres, 23, scored 14 league goals in 36 starts this season as Atletico finished seventh in La Liga.

The Spain international's Atletico contract runs until 2009.

Torres came up though the youth ranks at Atletico and has been their leading scorer in each of the last five seasons.

I think he'll do well personally, reckon he'll team up well with Crouch and if Pennant is on form, will benefit from his awesome wing work.

Loss of Luis Garcia may hit them harder than they realise though.

Guest alex

I must have been watching a different player to the Pennant you've seen Craig. Not a lot of end product when I've seen him. I'm not convinced by Torres either.

I must have been watching a different player to the Pennant you've seen Craig. Not a lot of end product when I've seen him. I'm not convinced by Torres either.

I was about to say the same thing. Speaking of overrated players, I've never understood why Pennant was supposed to be so good. Average player IMO.

pennants just vermin, reminds me of dyer as a person, self intersted little twat with a drink addiction as opposed to dyers alleged nosebag fetish. can cross a ball quite well when he wants to but is not consistent enough.

as for torres, from what i've seen of him, he's an ok forward in la liga. don't think he'll suit the premiership too well.

Some of his (Pennant's) performances in the Champions League last year were pretty awesome. He was the energy in their team and if he turns it on in the Premiership next season, I think he could be the difference between them being challengers for the title and remaining where they are.