electronica stuff

tinofbeans

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite mix of all time is this from Sasha at Universe in 1992. The timing is really important as it was just at the end of the hardcore rave explosion and DJ's like Sasha were bringing proper house music to a massive audience. There were a few DJs in the late 80s and early 90s playing London clubs, the Hacienda and the infamous Shelly's in Stoke but it was Sasha that brought new house music to the broad new audience going to raves.

The MC is funny as fuck, not to everyone's taste but i think it really works unusually so for a house mix.

1. Mel'isa Morgan 'Still in Love With You' (Mel'isa's in the House Mix)

2. Denise Lopez 'Don't You Wanna Be Mine' (Cliviles & Cole Vocal Club Mix)

3. Bomb the Bass 'You See Me in 3D' (Remix)

4. Siedah Garrett 'K.I.S.S.I.N.G.' (Accappella)

5. That Kid Chris 'Keep On Pressin On' (Didn't I Show You Luv Mix)

6. Lil' Louis Vega 'Club Lonely' (Bellbottoms & Platforms Mix)

7. Megatonk 'Belgium' (Nintendotone Mix)

8. Clubland '(I'm Under) Love Strain' (Lost in the Jungle Mix)

9. Nush 'Nush' (Original Mix)

10. Rhythm Quest 'Closer To All Your Dreams' (Hybrid Remix)

11. M17 'Rockin Down the House' (Chop Mix)

12. Dice Man 'Quad' (Spooky's Magi Mix)

13. Leftfield 'Release the Pressure' (Orig Dub)

14. Deep Beats Vol.1 'Code Red'

15. Degrees Of Motion 'Shine On' (Junior Style Dub Mix)

16. Pamela Fernandez 'kicking in the Beat' (AIM Dub)

17. Snap 'Do you see the Light'

18. Brothers Love Dubs 'The Mighty Ming!'

19. Maarten Van Der Vleuten 'Spanish Fly'

20. Jovonn - Out All Nite E.P (Vol. 2) 'Let Me Hear Ya Stomp'

21. Hashim 'Al Naafiysh'

22. Mr Clubman 'Release The Tension' (Disco Version)

23. Sounds Unlimited 'Uplifting' \ Rockers Revenge 'Walkin on Sunshine' (Acca)

24. Marascia 'For The Music'

25. Shalamar 'Take That to the Bank'

26. Sheer Bronze 'Walking On'

27. Fargetta 'Music is Movin' (Bam Bam Tribal Mix)

28. Nitro Deluxe 'Brutal House' (Greed DMC Mix)

29. Jules and Skins - Rushing Roulette EP 'Ethnic Groove'

Fix - Flash is a great track, would like to hear that through a big system again.

It still amazes me the quality of some tracks are on that label (KMS). The production is top notch.

Everyone knows this one due to the bass line, but what a track.

My favourite mix of all time is this from Sasha at Universe in 1992. The timing is really important as it was just at the end of the hardcore rave explosion and DJ's like Sasha were bringing proper house music to a massive audience. There were a few DJs in the late 80s and early 90s playing London clubs, the Hacienda and the infamous Shelly's in Stoke but it was Sasha that brought new house music to the broad new audience going to raves.

The MC is funny as fuck, not to everyone's taste but i think it really works unusually so for a house mix.

21. Hashim 'Al Naafiysh'

hard to believe that's from 92. some of those tracks still sound fresh as fuck. some dodgy mixing though.

i like mcs. they often sound shit listening to a mix that was recorded at a club, but a good one that can work the crowd when you're at the event, hyping everyone up without drowning out the music, is mint.

1503898_10152117847918821_143739184_n.jp

5th time i've attended this festival, seems to get better every year

Moby ( saw him at the first "party" i ever attended in 94, not crazy about his music but nostalgic), DJ Dan, Mark Farina, DJ NuMark, Czech, DJ Z-Trip, Featurecast, Askillz, JPOD, Stickybuds, Beardyman....etc etc

Friday afternoon I'm there.

Edited by tooner

Askillz is a class dj. Good vibes party tubes, breaks and hip hop plus he's a proper technician. Make sure check his set out

oh yeah for sure, seen him a bunch of times. featurecast is similar if not better IMO, last time i saw him he blew everyone else away comparitively

forgot to put JFB on my list of sets to see......best DJ name i've seen in awhile.....Lindsay Lowend...haha

Edited by tooner

By about the start of 95 I was moving more into *house* sounds and... vocals! Probably to do with my mates at the time playing mostly Euro techno at +8, started doing my head in :-)

So thanks to the likes of DiY Soundsystem, Doc Martin & Derrick Carter for keeping my head together during that time.

Got a few mixes and compilations from the DiY lot. I went to uni down in the East Midlands so I saw them DJ a few times too with their being from Nottingham.

This is a good one:

http://www.discogs.com/DiY-DiY-X-1989-1999-A-Decade-Of-Doing-It-Yourself/release/373787

It's a double CD with Digs & Whoosh doing the honours on one disc and Simon DK on the other.

This one:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-DiY-Vol-01-A-House-Music-Compilation-Mixed-And-Selected-By-Digs-Woosh/release/236953

from around the same time (also by Digs & Whoosh) is very good too. Proper house.

I've actually got that Derrick Carter one as well. As you probably know, it's volume 2. I like it but I think it never quite lives up to the promise of the opening track. Volume 1 is mixed by Sneak and Cajmere:

http://www.discogs.com/Cajmere-DJ-Sneak-The-Future-Sound-Of-Chicago/release/9160

I love it.

Another Derrick Carter mix you might like is this one:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Thanks-For-Coming-By/release/6620

It's another double CD, this time with Luke Solomon mixing the other one. I actually think the Luke Solomon mix is the better of the two. I think you'd really like it, going off what you've posted so far.

In a similar vein, this is fucking brilliant:

http://www.discogs.com/DJ-Sneak-Princess-Julia-The-Kinky-Trax-Collection/master/11543

Another double with Sneak on one disc and Princess Julia on the other. Again I'd say the less celebrated of the two DJs (Princess Julia) delivers the goods, although Sneak's mix is, as always, not too shabby either.

final post :-)

This is a great selection spanning 22 years by Twitch (of Twitch & Brainstorm I mentioned earlier). All vinyl.

https://soundcloud.com/twitch/optimo-podcast-9-bass-and

I had a listen to that all the way through last night, mate. Top notch. It really gets going around half an hour in with Ability II's Pressure Dub. Classic after Classic near the end as well. I was actually thinking, when LFO going to be dropped in. Loved it.

Yeah even back then Dave's self congratulatory John Peel samples annoyed me tbh, he was always a right twat though :lol:

That mix had two particular tunes I loved that took me yonks to find out what they were.

'Chill Out' was a great album (along with Space), I was listening to Gong a fair bit as well (hot knives & Gong was a good night in back then) :lol: it did lead me (through Steve Hillage) to The Orb & System 7 so all is forgiven.

Fix - Flash is class. One of those cross over tunes you heard in house and techno clubs.

And aye, I've got Jimmy Cauty's Space album too. It's another good one from that era. Not as good as Chill Out but what the fuck is?

I don't mind a bit of Gong either as it happens. And I think Hillage is great guitarist. Seen System 7 live a few times. The last time being a festival in North Yorkshire where they were the act after Ade Edmondson and The Bad Shepherds :lol: They're still worth seeing live. I've got a fair few of their albums. One you might be aware of is: Mysterious Traveller which was a collaboration with Derrick May (http://www.discogs.com/System-7-Derrick-May-Mysterious-Traveller/release/45170). I think it would be your cup of char if you haven't heard. It almost goes without saying that anyone who liked to get mashed from the era we're on about liked a bit of The Orb too. I think UFOrb is probably my favourite.

It still amazes me the quality of some tracks are on that label (KMS). The production is top notch.

Everyone knows this one due to the bass line, but what a track.

I take it you've got Mr. Saunderson's E-Dancer compilation Heavenly. Genius:

http://www.discogs.com/E-Dancer-Heavenly/release/181801

Juan Atkins remix of the track of the same name on it is a classic:

21. Hashim 'Al Naafiysh'

Still sounds brilliant that like. You have to admire Sasha for constantly evolving but I think he was at his peak back then. I loved a lot of the progressive house he played back then. I.e. like Leftfield - Not Forgotten as opposed to the cheese which came to be known by the same name. Not that I need to explain that to you ;)

Edited by Alex

hard to believe that's from 92. some of those tracks still sound fresh as fuck. some dodgy mixing though.

i like mcs. they often sound shit listening to a mix that was recorded at a club, but a good one that can work the crowd when you're at the event, hyping everyone up without drowning out the music, is mint.

It's not really funny I suppose but I had some old mixtapes from Helter Skelter. One event I went to (think it was at New Year) and during one of the mixtapes the MC led a minute's silence to MC Stevie Hyper D. Doesn't really have the same poignance being played back for the umpteenth time.

You also used to get them doing public announcements which could be funny played back. I remember one with the MC saying "If anybody's ever had a mate called Dave can they come to the stage now". Who hasn't at some point had a mate called Dave? :lol:

They did, as you say, work in a rave environment though.

It's not really funny I suppose but I had some old mixtapes from Helter Skelter. One event I went to (think it was at New Year) and during one of the mixtapes the MC led a minute's silence to MC Stevie Hyper D. Doesn't really have the same poignance being played back for the umpteenth time.

You also used to get them doing public announcements which could be funny played back. I remember one with the MC saying "If anybody's ever had a mate called Dave can they come to the stage now". Who hasn't at some point had a mate called Dave? :lol:

They did, as you say, work in a rave environment though.

i never saw hyper d, was a bit before my time, but he's a bit of a mixtape legend ... "junglists are you ready? lord have mercy..."

arguably the mc he influenced the most with the whole double time style who went on to perfect it was skibadee. now like most jungle mcs that make it, his ego massively took over and he went a bit shit after about 2001. but some of his early spitting on the kool fm pirate shows was just stupidly good and spawned a thousand copycat mcs that just weren't as good.

check out this mix he did with trend (rip), from 97 from kool fm. takes a couple of tracks to warm up before he gets going.

Saw Stevie Hyper D at a few Helter Skelter events at the Sanctuary in Milton Keynes. I checked and he died in the summer of 98 so I'm guessing the one I remember was the following NYE event there which I think was one of the last ones there. I think the Sanctuary closed not too long after. I didn't like all the music they played, as they also played hardcore / gabba (which I just find cheesy tbh) and happy hardcore (which is obviously into your extra mature cheddar territory). But the mix of music made for a better crowd I think. You'd have a happy hardcore DJ followed by a jungle one in one of the venues (they also used the adjacent roller rink). This meant the junglists / whoever moved about so you met more people. It was full of fucking nutters like. You had schoolies, gypsies (there was a fun fair there too :lol: ), gangstas and everything in between but the atmosphere was generally very good and not much bother as a whole (generally rival dealers stuff from the looks of it). They also had an old skool room (which is quite funny looking back as it was less than ten years after the scene had kicked off) where you had both the jungle DJs and the likes of Sy playng sets a bit like the Sasha one Chez posted. You got a few older heads in there and I already felt a bit like I was one of them by about '98 tbh.

Edit: a quick listen to that set seems like a classic example of the sort of drum and bass sets you would hear at Helter Skelter around that time.

Edited by Alex

yeah, i've been to helter skelter, one nation, telepathy. all of those type of raves were a bit mental in size, scale and the sheer volume of gurning nutters.

plus you had the overwhelming number of mcs that would just pass the mic around non stop, not giving the music any time to breathe, which could be a bit annoying. class when you were on the ground though, obviously. horns crew and the whistle massive sounds annoying as aything listening back on a mixtape but all added to the vibe when you're off your tits.

my favourite nights in london back in the day were movement at mass, fabric live, the rm and renegde hardware nights at the end (legendary london club), and metalheadz. fabio's midweek night at the velvet rooms, swerve, was canny too for the more soulful stuff.

the other thing about those massive raves like helter skelter were they were populated by the burberry cap hackett top chav. bit grimey, and weird to observe as a northener. this southern breed of charver. could always go off at those sort of events, where the london raves felt a bit safer.

You've probably heard both of these but a couple of great jungle mixes from back in the day were

DJ Hype's United Dance - The Designer Collection:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-United-Dance-The-Designer-Collection/master/6726

(the album cover on that btw :lol: )

and Kenny Ken's World Dance Classics:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-World-Dance-Classics/release/195248

Still listen to both of those when the mood takes me.

Dodgy mixing? The first mix is not his, he is basically getting rid of the previous DJ's tune. The first proper mix is Denise Lopez which is really hard to mix into and out of (i know as me and my mates used to replicate the mixing on this). He times the two breakdowns (he has 4 bars to play with), switches, then starts scratching the old tune through to the break. Its genius mixing from the off, Sasha's technique was considered the best in the world at that time. I think what stands out and stands the test of time is that he uses acapellas so creatively. Bomb The Bass - You see me in 3-D is a dark, bass-heavy track with a quality break-beat. Siedah Garrett - K.I.S.S.I.NG. couldn't be gayer if it tried. The acapella and the track should not work but it rocks, he then leaves the acapella floating. In a rave. No beats, just some girl singing about snogging and then he drops That Kid Chris....

There are a couple of 'live' moments when the beat-matching is not 100% and if thats what you mean then fair enough but most of the DJ's i know would consider Sasha at this period as the pinnacle of house DJ'ing. He was also off his tits the whole time which i think explains the total fuck up with the record stopping and the horrible noise before the Lil Louie Vega track starts. Legend has it he collapsed on the deck and wiped out the record as he was so out of it.

the other thing about those massive raves like helter skelter were they were populated by the burberry cap hackett top chav. bit grimey, and weird to observe as a northener. this southern breed of charver. could always go off at those sort of events, where the london raves felt a bit safer.

Did you ever go to the Newport Pagnell Services on the moring after an event at the Sanctuary? Absolutely packed with ravers and, whilst I never felt threatened or anything like that, it was not a very pretty sight 'the morning after' so to speak.

Did you ever go to the Newport Pagnell Services on the moring after an event at the Sanctuary? Absolutely packed with ravers and, whilst I never felt threatened or anything like that, it was not a very pretty sight 'the morning after' so to speak.

:lol: no but sounds a bit like waiting for the first tube home outside the stratford rex at 7am.

Dodgy mixing? The first mix is not his, he is basically getting rid of the previous DJ's tune. The first proper mix is Denise Lopez which is really hard to mix into and out of (i know as me and my mates used to replicate the mixing on this). He times the two breakdowns (he has 4 bars to play with), switches, then starts scratching the old tune through to the break. Its genius mixing from the off, Sasha's technique was considered the best in the world at that time. I think what stands out and stands the test of time is that he uses acapellas so creatively. Bomb The Bass - You see me in 3-D is a dark, bass-heavy track with a quality break-beat. Siedah Garrett - K.I.S.S.I.NG. couldn't be gayer if it tried. The acapella and the track should not work but it rocks, he then leaves the acapella floating. In a rave. No beats, just some girl singing about snogging and then he drops That Kid Chris....

There are a couple of 'live' moments when the beat-matching is not 100% and if thats what you mean then fair enough but most of the DJ's i know would consider Sasha at this period as the pinnacle of house DJ'ing. He was also off his tits the whole time which i think explains the total fuck up with the record stopping and the horrible noise before the Lil Louie Vega track starts. Legend has it he collapsed on the deck and wiped out the record as he was so out of it.

:lol: fair enough.

a gurning mc once spilled a whole pint over one of the turntables i was playing out on. ooooops

Edited by Dr Gloom

Newport Pagnell services :lol: Kids reading this must be thinking 'wtf?'.

Speaking of MC's, we used to go the Arena in Boro. Colin Paterson and MC Lee. Fucking hell :lol:

Might be difficult to believe but Middlesborough was the centre of dance music culture north of Manchester in the late 80's early 90's. There was the Hacienda in Manchester, Shellys in Stoke and Havana's in Boro. Havana's in 89 / 90 was one of the best nights out in the country.

You've probably heard both of these but a couple of great jungle mixes from back in the day were

DJ Hype's United Dance - The Designer Collection:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-United-Dance-The-Designer-Collection/master/6726

(the album cover on that btw :lol: )

and Kenny Ken's World Dance Classics:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-World-Dance-Classics/release/195248

Still listen to both of those when the mood takes me.

love that kenny ken mix. some absolute classics on it. pulp fiction is still a personal favourite. still sounds fresh all these years later. love quest by andy c and terrorist too.