tinofbeans

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got the following albums

Ulrich schnauss - goodbye

the tuss = rushup edge

they couldn't be more different. both v. good however.

Eluvium

The Field

Fujiya & Miyagi

Matthew Dear

Digitalism

the tuss = rushup edge

Eluvium

The Field

Fujiya & Miyagi

Matthew Dear

Digitalism

add to that...

Air

Lemongrass

Thievery Corp.

Ben Othman

I like what I've heard of electronic music but I am utterly clueless about it. Please use this thread to influence me.

I think Alex is your man.

It's embarrasing when I think back how anti-electronic I used to be. Up to the age of 20 I would abuse anyone who even suggested it was acceptable to listen to, or that electronic artists had any talent whatsoever. :lol:

I like what I've heard of electronic music but I am utterly clueless about it. Please use this thread to influence me.

It's embarrasing when I think back how anti-electronic I used to be. Up to the age of 20 I would abuse anyone who even suggested it was acceptable to listen to, or that electronic artists had any talent whatsoever. :outahere:

:lol:

The real elequonce (sp) imo in the last few years has come from:

Goldfrapp

Air

Royksopp

Start with those three and you won't go far wrong.

the tuss = rushup edge

Just been checking far away trains...V good.

Guest alex

Some good starting points are Orbital (just about any album really but Snivilisation or In Sides might be a good starting point also the 'Green' album - untitled but with a green cover aka 'Orbital I' which has the tunes 'Belfast' and 'Chime' which are two of the best electronic tunes of all-time imo); Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works '85-'92; Mixmaster Morris aka Irresistible Force - It's Tomorrow Already which is nice and chilled; Derrick May's Innovator compilation is quality an an introduction to 'proper' Detroit Techno; for crossover appeal I'd recommend the aforementioned Air, especially Moon Safari along with Nightmares On Wax (especially 'Car Boot Soul' and 'Smokers Delight') plus Portishead and Massive Attack ('Blue Lines' in particular); the Artificial Intelligence compilations are a good intro to the WARP techno label. There's loads of other stuff I could recommend too if you like any of that lot.

Has anybody checked out the new Paul (or was it Phil?) Hartnoll album btw? He's one half of the now defunct Orbital? I've just bought it and I'm just getting into it. Quite 'soundtrack' like.

Edit: Underworld as well - Dubnobasswithmyheadman and Second Toughest In The Infants

Edited by alex

Guest alex

all these artists are good....

couple more for you.

arovane

boy robot

autechre

squarepusher

Maybe a bit dark for a beginner?

Early stuff is more accessible.

the latest album by mr schnauss is very very good. trouble is he thinks he's in my bloody valentine or chapterhouse for some of the tracks. the title track is definitely one of the best electronica tracks i've ever heard.

Guest alex

the latest album by mr schnauss is very very good. trouble is he thinks he's in my bloody valentine or chapterhouse for some of the tracks. the title track is definitely one of the best electronica tracks i've ever heard.

I might just have to get it then. Haven't got a lot of new stuff of late, I've tended to get a lot of old soul and reggae recently. Btw, I got a copy of GAS - Em:t 0095 recently. Only had a copied version of it before that. One of the best electronic albums going. Do you know Beamont Hannant too btw? Fucking class.

worth looking into Alex.

me i'm a massive fan of ska, reggae, roots and dub. especially dub. king tubby, scientist, lee scratch perry and augustus pablo are my favourites right now. stick to the trojan releases and you can't go far wrong. they do a great compilation set for each sub genre.

also david rodigan (RIP) released a fantastic starter set (as i'd call it) of cd's some time ago. can't remember what its calle dbut it is very very good.

Guest alex

worth looking into Alex.

me i'm a massive fan of ska, reggae, roots and dub. especially dub. king tubby, scientist, lee scratch perry and augustus pablo are my favourites right now. stick to the trojan releases and you can't go far wrong. they do a great compilation set for each sub genre.

also david rodigan (RIP) released a fantastic starter set (as i'd call it) of cd's some time ago. can't remember what its calle dbut it is very very good.

Got a few of those Trojan compilations. The Rocksteady one and Vol 1 & 2 of the Dub ones plus the Ska one. Good stuff. Lee Scratch Perry is top notch too (my mate got me into him). Cheers for the recommendations.

Some good starting points are Orbital (just about any album really but Snivilisation or In Sides might be a good starting point also the 'Green' album - untitled but with a green cover aka 'Orbital I' which has the tunes 'Belfast' and 'Chime' which are two of the best electronic tunes of all-time imo); Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works '85-'92; Mixmaster Morris aka Irresistible Force - It's Tomorrow Already which is nice and chilled; Derrick May's Innovator compilation is quality an an introduction to 'proper' Detroit Techno; for crossover appeal I'd recommend the aforementioned Air, especially Moon Safari along with Nightmares On Wax (especially 'Car Boot Soul' and 'Smokers Delight') plus Portishead and Massive Attack ('Blue Lines' in particular); the Artificial Intelligence compilations are a good intro to the WARP techno label. There's loads of other stuff I could recommend too if you like any of that lot.

Has anybody checked out the new Paul (or was it Phil?) Hartnoll album btw? He's one half of the now defunct Orbital? I've just bought it and I'm just getting into it. Quite 'soundtrack' like.

Edit: Underworld as well - Dubnobasswithmyheadman and Second Toughest In The Infants

All what Alex said. Never really had Portishead in this category although now I think about it they are.

I'd add Cocteau Twins if Portishead are sneaking in.

cocteau twins are really rather weird but all the better for it.

surpirised no one's mentioned kraftwerk as well. tour de france is even now one of my favourit ever tracks simply because of the one synth line that just can't leave my head (you'd know it if you played it!)

cocteau twins are really rather weird but all the better for it.

surpirised no one's mentioned kraftwerk as well. tour de france is even now one of my favourit ever tracks simply because of the one synth line that just can't leave my head (you'd know it if you played it!)

The likes of me and Alex take K for granted tbh. They are so seminal we feel even mentioning them is some kind of disrespect. :lol:

Guest Patrokles

:lol::outahere:<_<:drinks:<_<

Good post...you've mentioned two of the very, very best in In Sides and Dubnobasswithmyheadman. These two albums would probably be in my top 5, electronic or otherwise, of all time.

10 more essential electronic purchases IMO would be:

1. 'Tri Repetae' | Autechre

2. '76:14' | Global Communication

3. 'Substrata' | Biosphere

4. 'Music Has The Right To Children' or 'Geogaddi' | Boards Of Canada

5. 'Ascend' | Manual

6. 'Haunt Me, Haunt Me, Do It Again' | Tim Hecker

7. 'Kesto (234.48:4)' | Pan Sonic

8. 'Afro Finger & Gel' | Mu

9. 'Lifeforms' | The Future Sound Of London

10. 'Momentum' | Monolake