electronica stuff

tinofbeans

This thread could easily empty my bank balance.

Just invested in some FSoL, Autechre and AGF. I've only really got BoC and Squarepusher of this genre so there's a bit of space to fill yet.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I like what I've heard of electronic music but I am utterly clueless about it. Please use this thread to influence me.

Some good starting points are Orbital (just about any album really but Snivilisation or In Sides might be a good starting point also the 'Green' album - untitled but with a green cover aka 'Orbital I' which has the tunes 'Belfast' and 'Chime' which are two of the best electronic tunes of all-time imo); Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works '85-'92; Mixmaster Morris aka Irresistible Force - It's Tomorrow Already which is nice and chilled; Derrick May's Innovator compilation is quality an an introduction to 'proper' Detroit Techno; for crossover appeal I'd recommend the aforementioned Air, especially Moon Safari along with Nightmares On Wax (especially 'Car Boot Soul' and 'Smokers Delight') plus Portishead and Massive Attack ('Blue Lines' in particular); the Artificial Intelligence compilations are a good intro to the WARP techno label. There's loads of other stuff I could recommend too if you like any of that lot.

Has anybody checked out the new Paul (or was it Phil?) Hartnoll album btw? He's one half of the now defunct Orbital? I've just bought it and I'm just getting into it. Quite 'soundtrack' like.

Edit: Underworld as well - Dubnobasswithmyheadman and Second Toughest In The Infants

Good post...you've mentioned two of the very, very best in In Sides and Dubnobasswithmyheadman. These two albums would probably be in my top 5, electronic or otherwise, of all time.

10 more essential electronic purchases IMO would be:

1. 'Tri Repetae' | Autechre

2. '76:14' | Global Communication

3. 'Substrata' | Biosphere

4. 'Music Has The Right To Children' or 'Geogaddi' | Boards Of Canada

5. 'Ascend' | Manual

6. 'Haunt Me, Haunt Me, Do It Again' | Tim Hecker

7. 'Kesto (234.48:4)' | Pan Sonic

8. 'Afro Finger & Gel' | Mu

9. 'Lifeforms' | The Future Sound Of London

10. 'Momentum' | Monolake

this is an extremely good list. i've heard everything on here bar Ascend,and they're all excellent.

although Kesto is quite a tricky listen at first (that's the understatement of the century). Aaltoporii maybe a better place to start with Pan Sonic.

another ten essential electronica albums:

Fennesz | Endless Summer

Keith Fullerton Whitman | Lisbon

Autechre | Amber

Murcof | Remembranza

Oval | Ovalcommers

Bowery Electric | Beat

Isolée | Wearemonster

Lustmord | Heresy

Stars Of The Lid | And Their Refinement Of The Decline

William Basinski | Melancholia

:snakehips:

b12

black dog productions

plaid

FUSE

luke vibert

all good stuff from "back in the day"

for more dancy stuff look out for....

THE PRESETS

simian mobile disco.

for good general chart friendly stuff you have to love hot chip. their first 2 albums are very good.

oh and squarepushers new albums nice.

b12

black dog productions

plaid

FUSE

luke vibert

all good stuff from "back in the day"

for more dancy stuff look out for....

THE PRESETS

simian mobile disco.

for good general chart friendly stuff you have to love hot chip. their first 2 albums are very good.

oh and squarepushers new albums nice.

Electro Soma and Bytes. How fucking good man?

I like what I've heard of electronic music but I am utterly clueless about it. Please use this thread to influence me.

I think Alex is your man.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::icon_lol::(:(

I promptly forgot all about this thread after many of you (esp alex) made suggestions to me, my apologies.

Like I would have ever listened to anything that Patrokles suggested though. :snakehips:

:rolleyes::icon_lol::(:(:angry:

I promptly forgot all about this thread after many of you (esp alex) made suggestions to me, my apologies.

Like I would have ever listened to anything that Patrokles suggested though. :snakehips:

Quite funny how he took the huff re: the above btw :rolleyes:

:icon_lol::(:(:angry::angry:

He always was a mardly little twat.:rolleyes:

:icon_lol::(:(:angry::angry:

He always was a mardly little twat.:rolleyes:

Enough pent-up anger in him to be an Ipswich whore-slayer tbh.

• 2 years later...

A random bump, but has anybody heard any of the em:t records compilations before?

Alex dished a couple of them out to me ages ago, absolutely sensational stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Some good starting points are Orbital (just about any album really but Snivilisation or In Sides might be a good starting point also the 'Green' album - untitled but with a green cover aka 'Orbital I' which has the tunes 'Belfast' and 'Chime' which are two of the best electronic tunes of all-time imo); Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works '85-'92; Mixmaster Morris aka Irresistible Force - It's Tomorrow Already which is nice and chilled; Derrick May's Innovator compilation is quality an an introduction to 'proper' Detroit Techno; for crossover appeal I'd recommend the aforementioned Air, especially Moon Safari along with Nightmares On Wax (especially 'Car Boot Soul' and 'Smokers Delight') plus Portishead and Massive Attack ('Blue Lines' in particular); the Artificial Intelligence compilations are a good intro to the WARP techno label. There's loads of other stuff I could recommend too if you like any of that lot.

Has anybody checked out the new Paul (or was it Phil?) Hartnoll album btw? He's one half of the now defunct Orbital? I've just bought it and I'm just getting into it. Quite 'soundtrack' like.

Edit: Underworld as well - Dubnobasswithmyheadman and Second Toughest In The Infants

Good post...you've mentioned two of the very, very best in In Sides and Dubnobasswithmyheadman. These two albums would probably be in my top 5, electronic or otherwise, of all time.

10 more essential electronic purchases IMO would be:

1. 'Tri Repetae' | Autechre

2. '76:14' | Global Communication

3. 'Substrata' | Biosphere

4. 'Music Has The Right To Children' or 'Geogaddi' | Boards Of Canada

5. 'Ascend' | Manual

6. 'Haunt Me, Haunt Me, Do It Again' | Tim Hecker

7. 'Kesto (234.48:4)' | Pan Sonic

8. 'Afro Finger & Gel' | Mu

9. 'Lifeforms' | The Future Sound Of London

10. 'Momentum' | Monolake

I've been listening to that shit loads lately. It's fucking brilliant.