Czech eyes Premier education

Scottish Mag

Newcastle's new signing David Rozehnal is hoping his sojourn in the Premier League will toughen him up.

The Czech Republic international has moved to St James' Park from Paris Saint Germain in a £2.9million deal, despite attracting interest from Borussia Dortmund and Sevilla as well.

Rozehnal freely admits he is not the most robust of defenders, but hopes his move to England and the physically demanding Premier League will add a new dimension to his game.

"I believe that the Premiership will give me the toughness that I still don't have at the level I need," Rozehnal told Sport. "I will not get it without hard work.

"I go there to work hard to improve myself in this attribute. Only if I am not successful, I will start thinking why.

"I started as a striker, then I moved into midfield and eventually I became a defender, that is the main reason [why toughness is lacking].

"Even though, I think I have improved a lot in this attribute. Of course though, it is not there yet."

Magpies boss Sam Allardyce saw off late interest from Sevilla to clinch Rozehnal's signature, whilst Borussia Dortmund were priced out of a bid for the defender.

Rozehnal admits he was happy to choose England, even if he still holds La Liga in great regard.

"Any of those other clubs would not have been a disappointment for me," said Rozehnal.

"After that though, when I returned from my first visit to Newcastle, I realised that it has really turned out as best as it could. I am excited.

"Of course I am still dreaming [of Spain]. I have always dreamed of Spain and that will not fade away quickly.

"Anyway, what I have managed to see in England so far, I can say that I would not mind if I stayed here for a couple of years."

"Of course I am still dreaming [of Spain]. I have always dreamed of Spain and that will not fade away quickly.

"Anyway, what I have managed to see in England so far, I can say that I would not mind if I stayed here for a couple of years."

Just a stepping stone are we ?

Its not something I welcome coming from a player that has yet to kick a ball for the club, all players are ambitious but its not something that needs stating in my opinion.

Doesn't sound to promising i reckon

why?

because he's being honest and not spouting that bollocks "I was always wanting to come to Newcastle, they're a massive club with huge ambition and as soon as I saw they were interested the decision became easy."

I like that he's said he is coming to England to learn to be more physical and improve his game. Much rather that, than coming to pick up a paycheck (Babayaro). At least this way we can be sure he'll work while he's here. If he does improve we'll benefit from a better defense and resale value

People getting their knickers in a twist just because he has no real affection for the club.

I seriously wish that attitude would just fuck off and die tbh

People getting their knickers in a twist just because he has no real affection for the club.

It's akin to the whole situation with Michael Owen as well.

I couldn't give a flying fuck if he has no affection for the club, just as long as he puts in 100% effort everytime he represents us. I have no affection for my current employers and if someone came along and offered me a more attractive package for the same or more money, i'd be off like a shot.

I still put my all into the job though. I'm afraid this is a legacy of us signing Shearer and 'bringing him home'. A lot of the fans expect other players to have the same affection and reasoning for coming to Newcastle as he did. He was a one-off case in that respect though.

He "would not mind" staying here for a couple of years?

A bad thing to say, especially to Newcastle fans. I've always thought that as long as a player shows loyalty, commitment and determination, he would go down well with Newcastle fans, even if they weren't the next Pele.

He has gone down in my estimation as a person.

If were a stepping stone then great least we got him for a couple years we beat of opposition from other top clubs to get him. We cant exactly kid ourselves here were not really the kind of club top players want to aspire to.... at the moment!

I couldn't give a flying fuck if he has no affection for the club, just as long as he puts in 100% effort everytime he represents us. I have no affection for my current employers and if someone came along and offered me a more attractive package for the same or more money, i'd be off like a shot.

I still put my all into the job though. I'm afraid this is a legacy of us signing Shearer and 'bringing him home'. A lot of the fans expect other players to have the same affection and reasoning for coming to Newcastle as he did. He was a one-off case in that respect though.

Don't agree with that.

What's annoying about the whole Owen thing is that he cost us a huge transfer fee, plus massive wages and he's hardly played for us. Now he's got us over a barrell with the release clause he insisted was put in his contract, which means he could fuck off on 31st August and leave us in the shit.

I couldn't give a stuff if we weren't his first choice, but instead of hedging his bets he should make his intentions clear to Allardyce so we have time to find a suitable replacement if needed.

If were a stepping stone then great least we got him for a couple years we beat of opposition from other top clubs to get him. We cant exactly kid ourselves here were not really the kind of club top players want to aspire to.... at the moment!

So if he's only planning on stopping a couple of seasons I find it a tad worrying that Sam is saying he mightn't put him straight in to the line up.

I think he's fucked himself up by stating that, fuck me he's just signed and he's already talking about fucking off to La Liga, lets hope he's been misquoted.

Don't agree with that.

What's annoying about the whole Owen thing is that he cost us a huge transfer fee, plus massive wages and he's hardly played for us. Now he's got us over a barrell with the release clause he insisted was put in his contract, which means he could fuck off on 31st August and leave us in the shit.

I couldn't give a stuff if we weren't his first choice, but instead of hedging his bets he should make his intentions clear to Allardyce so we have time to find a suitable replacement if needed.

And who says he hasn't??? The press??

This is the same press who said he'd never sign for Newcastle United in a million years remember.

And anyway if he does go, are we seriously that much in the shit? Gudjohnsen is a serious possibility from all accounts and we have Martins and Viduka as well.

What happens if he claimed he was staying and then left anyway? Would that make it any different??

Don't agree with that.

This is the same press who said he'd never sign for Newcastle United in a million years remember.

And anyway if he does go, are we seriously that much in the shit? Gudjohnsen is a serious possibility from all accounts and we have Martins and Viduka as well.

What happens if he claimed he was staying and then left anyway? Would that make it any different??

The soundbites coming from Allardyce suggest he hasn't.

Martins may very well be off to Arsenal and who says that Gudjohnsen would still be available if we waited until 31st August?

And if he claimed he was staying then left anyway he'd be seen as a bigger arse than a lot of Toon fans see him already.

Nothing wrong with saying that. Hopefully in a couple of years or so we will be good enough to keep him and if not hopefully we will be good enough to get a better replacement. Everyone has amibitions to do certain things in life and if one is to play in La Liga then good on him.

Remember Munez did the same thing to us in Goal!

Don't agree with that.

The soundbites coming from Allardyce suggest he hasn't.

Martins may very well be off to Arsenal and who says that Gudjohnsen would still be available if we waited until 31st August?

And if he claimed he was staying then left anyway he'd be seen as a bigger arse than a lot of Toon fans see him already.

Who says we're waiting for Gudjohnsen? From all accounts, we're after him now. We don't have to sell a striker before we buy another you know ;)

Guest Patrokles

I think if you actually look at the quotes in their entirety, it's a lot more positive than some are making out.

"After that though, when I returned from my first visit to Newcastle, I realised that it has really turned out as best as it could. I am excited.

The second paragraph is reasonable in my opinion. He's doing nothing more than being honest, and he's also implying that his dreaming of Spain will fade away; just not straight off the bat.

Also the 'couple of years' thing seems in my opinion not to be a literal declaration of intent. More like 'I can see myself being here a while.'