Coast road speed cameras

Smooth Operator

I'm sure they've just put those new speed camera's up on the Coast Road, the one's that time you between 2 points and work out if you've been speeding if you get to the second set of cameras too soon. Think Snakehips was on about them in a previous thread that I can't locate. But they look exactly the same as the one's in that thread.

The first set look like they are up at the Benfield Road/Coach Lane junction but I'm not sure where the second set are.

I'm ok, can't see me bothering them in my Zafira but just thought I'd share the news.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are different one's, they are black and look like the one's in the other thread that Snakehips missus thinks she might have got done by down south.

They are canny conspicuos, haven't ventured to the other end of the Coast road yet to see where the other set are yet.

They're not the average distance ones they're Truvelo's which clock you as you approach rather than passing, theres, one set down at Cradlewell and one at the Coach Road junction.

truvelo-speed-camera.jpg

They've beenthere for ages. I have been told that they are for monitoring congestion. This rings true as there are some just as you approach the civic centre and the positioning of the ones on the coast road.

I sped past them on many occasion over the past 5 months or so and not received any fine etc,

They are different one's, they are black and look like the one's in the other thread that Snakehips missus thinks she might have got done by down south.

They are canny conspicuos, haven't ventured to the other end of the Coast road yet to see where the other set are yet.

I know the ones you mean. If they are a speed trap calculating your average speed over a distance, I'm shagged.

Incidentally a sign has gone up on Jesmond road saying there is going to be roadworks starting next week, lasting until 2010. ;)

They've beenthere for ages. I have been told that they are for monitoring congestion. This rings true as there are some just as you approach the civic centre and the positioning of the ones on the coast road.

I sped past them on many occasion over the past 5 months or so and not received any fine etc,

They are definitely speed cameras, if you take a look when you pass them they have the word truvelo written on them, same as the picture. I went down the coast road this morning and never noticed anything different, the only cameras I saw were the ones Ive already mentioned.

If theyre the average speed ones then they need to tell you, wherever these appear theres always signs beforehand telling you that its based on the average speed over the distance. They are also suspended overhead

specs_closeup.jpg

They are definitely speed cameras, if you take a look when you pass them they have the word truvelo written on them, same as the picture. I went down the coast road this morning and never noticed anything different, the only cameras I saw were the ones Ive already mentioned.

If theyre the average speed ones then they need to tell you, wherever these appear theres always signs beforehand telling you that its based on the average speed over the distance. They are also suspended overhead

specs_closeup.jpg

I think you are wrong based purely on their positioning. I hope you are wrong. Why have I not received points or fines if I have constantly been too fast going past?

specs_closeup.jpg

I think you are wrong based purely on their positioning. I hope you are wrong. Why have I not received points or fines if I have constantly been too fast going past?

Maybe the whole "no film in camera" thing is valid, I always thought it was a load of bolx but now maybe not, or depending on the time of day maybe its always ran out when you go past? All I know is that the one level with the Benfield Road turn off (heading towards coast) is definitely a Truvelo speed camera.

When you think about it, its the perfect position for speed cameras, people have just picked up speed after the Corner House lights and ready for the dip down.

EDIT: Oh unless your V5 info isnt upto date Shinton, maybe theres 30 points at some other address. ;)

I have always wondered, what happens if you get twatted by numerous speed cameras on the same stretch of road, in the same day? Would you get points for each, and fined?

Negotiating the A1 could be tricky.

specs_closeup.jpg

Maybe the whole "no film in camera" thing is valid, I always thought it was a load of bolx but now maybe not, or depending on the time of day maybe its always ran out when you go past? All I know is that the one level with the Benfield Road turn off (heading towards coast) is definitely a Truvelo speed camera.

When you think about it, its the perfect position for speed cameras, people have just picked up speed after the Corner House lights and ready for the dip down.

EDIT: Oh unless your V5 info isnt upto date Shinton, maybe theres 30 points at some other address. ;)

His speedo's probably fucked tbh.

Guest alex

I have always wondered, what happens if you get twatted by numerous speed cameras on the same stretch of road, in the same day? Would you get points for each, and fined?

Yes.

Yes.

A driver working for us amassed so many points on one run down the A1 he lost his licence. ;)

THEY ARE NOT SPEED CAMERAS. I BET PP A 12 MONTH IP BAN.

Guest alex

Yes.

A driver working for us amassed so many points on one run down the A1 he lost his licence. ;)

What about a 12 month driving ban?

A driver working for us amassed so many points on one run down the A1 he lost his licence. :icon_lol:

What about a 12 month driving ban?

Im guessing both will come for Shints at once ;)

The only way I can see to answer it is to get a picture of the ones on the Coast Road and then compare them, Im happy enough for you not to take an IP ban just a joke ban tbh ;)

Yes.

a friend of my mams was caught 4 times in the same day on the same road, (dropping off and picking up her kids from school) and lost her license.

She was the one who used to whine on to my mam that I drove too quickly into our drive.

;)

This report seeks approval to spend Local Transport Plan capital funding on installing a system of real-time CCTV cameras on the corridor from the City Centre to the A1058 Coast Road and on the Great North Road, as a means of improving driver information, improving the management of the strategic highway network and reducing congestion.

Recommendation

Approve the capital expenditure of £95,000 from the LTP Integrated Transport Budget for 2004/5, to carry out the proposals outlined in the report.

Background

With ever increasing private car ownership and use, set against a background of declining bus patronage, it is inevitable that general congestion levels will continue to rise without continued intervention by the Council, as Highway Authority, in the management and operation of the main highway network . The Local Transport Plan continues to be used effectively to improve the transport infrastructure for buses and private transport. However, further measures will continue to be sought and implemented to seek to reduce congestion levels for all forms of transport.

In common with most major Cities, peak hour congestion on the main highway network in Newcastle is very significant and there is little scope for increasing the capacity of the network by building new roads. Besides the normal demand / capacity issues, road traffic accidents, planned road works, public utility works etc can all cause unexpected additional problems on routes that would otherwise operate in an acceptable manner. However, spare capacity does exist on other roads and at other times, but it is often very difficult, if not impossible to get the information on the congestion conditions to the driver in time to influence their travel patterns.

This can be a particular problem for bus operators. Whereas the private car drivers can adjust their route choice and time of travel, this is not a choice for the bus driver who has a pre-determined route and timetable to comply with. The result of a reduced traffic capacity can be excessive delays for all, but particularly for buses. This is particularly important when viewed against survey information supplied by Nexus, which shows that the reliability of bus services is the most important factor for the public in determining their mode choice.

It is a common complaint of drivers trapped in a traffic jam to say that if they had only known about the problem, they could have chosen a different route or would have travelled earlier or later to avoid the problem. If we could introduce a system which could get this information to the drivers it would help to reduce the excessive peak hour problems that are encountered on some key roads in the City and in effect ‘flatten out’ the peak hour problems and create some spare capacity that would help bus operation. Even a change in traffic flows of a pew percentage points can make a significant difference.

In addition to the above, the new Traffic Management Act 2004 places a duty on the Highway Authority to manage the highway network in the most efficient manner possible. This will be done through the implementation of systems and work practices aimed at coordinating works, minimising the time works are in place, early problem spotting and intervention etc.

The Proposal

In the modern working environment, it is increasingly common for people to work ‘flexi-time’ and to have access to a computer and the Internet. This combination of flexibility and potential access to real-time information presents an opportunity to address this problem and allow drivers to make a more informed decision about their route and time of travel.

It is proposed to install 10 high quality, mast mounted CCTV cameras at key locations on :-

• the north east corridor from the City Centre to the A1058 Coast Road. This is currently a very heavily trafficked route and a bus Superoute.

• The Great North Road corridor from Barras Bridge to Polwarth Drive. This is also a very heavily trafficked route and a bus Superoute

Each camera will be mounted on an 8m high mast at key locations to give the maximum benefit. The cameras will be used to transmit very high quality colour CCTV images to the Civic Centre. These images will then be placed on the Internet to allow drivers to view them and help inform their route choice and time of travel. For instance, drivers viewing a scene of very heavy congestion on the Cradlewell route could choose to travel east via Byker Bridge or to delay their journey until traffic levels have reduced.

In addition to the CCTV images it is planned to include current and future roadworks information on the web-site to give drivers the complete picture on a particular route. This integrated system can then be used by individual drivers, bus operators, radio stations etc to give accurate information on the condition of the network.

The proposed system involves the use of a private low powered radio virtual network for image transmission, which negates the need for expensive fibre optic connections and on-going communications costs. The images will then be processed on an existing computer system which has already been purchased for a similar use for the City Centre. The cameras can be pre-programmed point in certain directions at particular times of the day to observe peak hour reversals in traffic flow. They can also be controlled by the viewer via the Internet, although certain security and privacy systems will need to be engaged. The cameras will produce good image quality under street light conditions.

The proposals contained in this report and the information derived from the cameras will also help the Council to carry out its traffic management and road safety functions in a more efficient manner, as well as significantly contributing towards the duties contained in the Traffic Management Act 2004.

Guest alex

I was laughing at some thread on N-O before. Madras had posted something that was about 5,000 words. Who the fuck is going to read that?