Sunderland withdraw from race for Nugent

Jimbo

Sunderland have pulled out of the race for Preston striker David Nugent.

According to the Black Cats website, they agreed a "substantial fee" with the North End for the 22-year-old but will now focus on other targets.

Club chief executive Peter Walker said: "I can confirm we have withdrawn our offer for the player.

"Naturally work continues behind the scenes to strengthen our squad ahead of the new season and talks are on-going with a number of targets."

Nugent was given permission to speak to two clubs after he returned from duty with the England Under-21 squad at the European Championship last month.

One of the teams was believed to be Sunderland, while West Ham and Everton were also linked with him.

Nugent joined Preston from Bury in January 2005 for a fee believed to be in the region of £100,000.

The Liverpool-born forward has made 94 Championship appearances for Preston, scoring 33 goals.

Sheffield United tried to buy him in the January 2007 transfer window but North End rejected the offer.

But the striker made it clear last season that he saw his future in the Premiership.

"I want to be playing in the Premiership week in, week out, that's where I need to be," he said.

"I want it to be with Preston, but if not, it'll have to be somewhere else."

Preston finished seventh in last season's Championship, missing out on a place in the play-offs.

Nugent is an Everton fan and has previously said: "My hero was Duncan Ferguson and, hopefully, I will play for them in my career and I'm confident I will do."

He made his full England debut in the win over Andorra in March, scoring in the final minute of the game.

The cap was the first by a Preston player since Sir Tom Finney and he became England's first outfield player from outside the top-flight since Michael Gray in 1999.

The backpeddling on the SMB is genius ;)

"Well, to be honest, I'm not that bothered. Watching him in the Under 21s, I thought he was very ordinary and didn't impress much. Leroy Lita

DID impress though and I'd like to see us go for him."

"Fucking Hallelujah.

The Guy obviously doesnt have his heart in playing for us as he is more concerned that Everton havent shown an interest yet.

If you don't wanna play for the club, quite simply FUCK OFF"

"Good news, I think it shows were not going to let ourselves be fucked about. We have obviously got our eye on other targets.

£7mil is a lot for him, I was always of the opinion that amount of money can buy you better."

"Well done Roy Keane! That is a fantastic decision which I wholeheartedly endorse. The little shite has fucked about with the wrong man."

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=243749

Bugger me ;)

Some of the posts in the Geremi thread are unbelievable and that Cartwright pric wants a good fucking hiding. To anyone who posts on SMB can you tell him he's a twat from me and I'm look forward to making him cry again once i get around this ban.

Some of the posts in the Geremi thread are unbelievable and that Cartwright pric wants a good fucking hiding. To anyone who posts on SMB can you tell him he's a twat from me and I'm look forward to making him cry again once i get around this ban.

You should be able to sign up again if you can read the board. That way you can make him cry this evening and keep me entertained ;)

;)

Glad we didnt sign him, as the reason we pulled out it yet to be released i think people should wait for full facts.... ;)

As for the good players signing for Keane, how many weeks in is till the start of the season?

You should be able to sign up again if you can read the board. That way you can make him cry this evening and keep me entertained ;)

You have been banned for the following reason:

No reason was specified.

The ban will be lifted within 24 hours of Never

Banned because that Cartwright pric was crying like a fucking baby because he couldn't take the craic. I'm gunning for that twat as soon as I'm back on.

:icon_lol:

Glad we didnt sign him, as the reason we pulled out it yet to be released i think people should wait for full facts.... ;)

As for the good players signing for Keane, how many weeks in is till the start of the season?

I think that should probably be "facts"

;)

I think that should probably be "facts"

;)

From what i heard hes not leaving to any club but Everton, who he supposedly supported as a lad. Not fussed on missing out on a championship player, we already have the title winning forward line. And we move on.

So basically the facts were that they were told by his agent he was more interested in joining Pompy and they "stepped aside" to avoid any embarrasment? ;)

'Nice one, Keeeeeeano' indeed

So basically the facts were that they were told by his agent he was more interested in joining Pompy and they "stepped aside" to avoid any embarrasment? ;)

And i'm sure that's exactly how all the mackems will see it ;)

It is becoming more amusing reading the SMB with every day! It must be good for Keane to know that should he ever fancy experimenting with his sexuality, that there are 20,000+ blokes absolutely gagging to be nailed by him! Some of the stuff they come out with about him is priceless!

And i'm sure that's exactly how all the mackems will see it :icon_lol:

It is becoming more amusing reading the SMB with every day! It must be good for Keane to know that should he ever fancy experimenting with his sexuality, that there are 20,000+ blokes absolutely gagging to be nailed by him! Some of the stuff they come out with about him is priceless!

;)

Obviously you like to judge people by internet persona's? It so happens im not the type of person to rip the piss out of my rivals, i prefer to talk about football. All fun and games afterall but i wont get pulled into arguing about how good Keane was as a player, and how his management career has gone so far. I think hes proved a point with his actions alone to be honest.

And it was Paul who i had the chat about Nugent with, we agreed he was overated and i said "i hope we dont sign him".

It is laughable, like. Okay, if he was making Fergusonesque decisions at every turn but he's not. Every little thing he does gets praised to high heaven like he's just pulled off the transfer coup of the century. One minute they're going on about how £7million for Nugent is fair enough in todays transfer climate, next thing they're saying it's too much ;)

And i'm sure that's exactly how all the mackems will see it :angry:

Obviously you like to judge people by internet persona's? It so happens im not the type of person to rip the piss out of my rivals, i prefer to talk about football. All fun and games afterall but i wont get pulled into arguing about how good Keane was as a player, and how his management career has gone so far. I think hes proved a point with his actions alone to be honest.

And it was Paul who i had the chat about Nugent with, we agreed he was overated and i said "i hope we dont sign him".

There's plenty of sensible Sunderland fans out there, i've even met the odd one ;) But some of the lot on that board are disturbed :P

I think you're right that Keane thus far has done a good job, he did after all inherit and absolute shambles and turn it round (unfortunately!) but i think some of them would as Sima said applaud him for shaggign their mum! :icon_lol:

And i'm sure that's exactly how all the mackems will see it :angry:

There's plenty of sensible Sunderland fans out there, i've even met the odd one ;) But some of the lot on that board are disturbed :P

I think you're right that Keane thus far has done a good job, he did after all inherit and absolute shambles and turn it round (unfortunately!) but i think some of them would as Sima said applaud him for shaggign their mum! :icon_lol:

I dont post that much on rtg anymore! And i definately wouldnt applaud him for shagging my mother!!!! :angry:

On the case of Nugent i'd rather have this Alfonso Alves, watched him in the dutch league last year and he seemed to ooze goals!

;)

It so happens im not the type of person to rip the piss out of my rivals, i prefer to talk about football.

Is that why you have the sig FTM

-Tell you what -F*ck right off mackem tw*t. :icon_lol:

Guest alex

I saw Frente at Loughborough University. It's weird because they were playing Yabbie Creek the same week. They were shit btw.

I saw Frente at Loughborough University. It's weird because they were playing Yabbie Creek the same week. They were shit btw.

Did they do Accidently Kelly street or bizzare love triangle?