Is it too early for Taylor to be captain?!

bassplayerjj

We have seen how successful John Terry has been as captain of Chelsea, first given the armband at 22 I think. Fernando Torres captained Atletico Madrid from 19. Nigel Reo-Coker captained West Ham to an FA cup final and 7th in the league in his first season in the prem at 21-22.

I saw the game for England U-21 against Slovakia before the euro U21 tournament. Even though it was just a friendly I saw the pride in him when he was handed the armband in the second half. I saw him then change as a player, grow as a man, become the leader of that England side, score a goal even!

This player has the potential to become a Tony Adams, a John Terry. I think giving him the armband will improve him even now, even at 21. If we had a Shearer at the club, a Roy Keane or even a Desailly or Hierro in their day then I'd give the captaincy to them. We do not have any of those calibre of players at the club now, those leaders with an aura and presence about them. I think that with this new era, with Big Sam leading us forward we need to create a new leader, and who better than a local lad who knows how much this club means to the area and the fans, he's one of them. A young man so proud and determined when representing his country (Even if it's U21 level) to command such high praise from a man of Stuart Pearce's character, one of the most dignified, passionate and fearless men I have seen in an England shirt. The next stage in Taylor's development I think is to give him more responsibility, if he really is like Tony Adams, like John Terry, then the captaincy can only make him stronger.

If it fails...... he's young, he'll bounce back :pray:

It's a gamble, but I think it's one worth taking and I'd rather see him be captain now than any other player we have currently.

Seen the lad a few times in interviews and press conferences and he seems to take them very well and speak with authority and fluidity, something I never saw with Scott Parker....

I don't think it is too early, no. Would love to see him captain next season. The situation resembles Terry and Chelsea. They took a gamble but got their long term captain in early.

I'm not saying Taylor will become as good as Terry (although he might), but he will certainly become a very much above average premierleague player (if he isn't already). I think being given the armband would improve his game greatly. It is a sure way to improve his decision making and sometimes rashness.

All in all, big fan!

How's he not humble? and was Big Al? I saw Taylor after his 'heroics' in the U21 say to an interviewer when singled out for praise, something along the lines of ''that's not the point, it was a team effort, give all the lads credit''...

Edited by bassplayerjj

How's he not humble? and was Big Al? I saw Taylor after his 'heroics' in the U21 say to an interviewer when singled out for praise, something along the lines of ''that's not the point, it was a team effort, give all the lads credit''...

From another thread: http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...14538&st=20

When asked a talk in at Shearers if he would be here for the long haul all Taylor said was "We'll see, but i'm happy at the moment."

Yes humility.

He's currently not good enough to be first choice and as has been mentioned on here a number of times by others he believes he should be starting 11 regardless.

Just a though lets wait and see who all the players are the Sam brings in.

When asked a talk in at Shearers if he would be here for the long haul all Taylor said was "We'll see, but i'm happy at the moment."

Yes humility.

He's currently not good enough to be first choice and as has been mentioned on here a number of times by others he believes he should be starting 11 regardless.

not good enough to be starting 11?

who would you have had ahead of him last season and who will you have ahead of him now?

who was head and shoulders above our defensive back line (barring Solano towards the end of the season), he'll only get better through experiencing top flight matches and he now has a proper coachign system to train him in the Non-Bramble approach to defending.

I think you're being overly harsh on the lad, he's may be too young to have the respect of the older players so I wouldn't have him as Club Captain, but Vice Captain might not be a bad choice?

Yes humility.

not good enough to be starting 11?

who would you have had ahead of him last season and who will you have ahead of him now?

who was head and shoulders above our defensive back line (barring Solano towards the end of the season), he'll only get better through experiencing top flight matches and he now has a proper coachign system to train him in the Non-Bramble approach to defending.

I think you're being overly harsh on the lad, he's may be too young to have the respect of the older players so I wouldn't have him as Club Captain, but Vice Captain might not be a bad choice?

Fish, you're right I might be being to harsh on him but he's a bairn and we really don't know who the club has in mind.

I really can't see Michael Owen, Joey Barton or Kieron Dyer being to happy with little stevie taylor being captain, can you?

Fish, you're right I might be being to harsh on him but he's a bairn and we really don't know who the club has in mind.

I really can't see Michael Owen, Joey Barton or Kieron Dyer being to happy with little stevie taylor being captain, can you?

I did say that he was too young to get the respect of the experienced players in my post, that's why I suggested vice captain.

If they're consistent, vocal and talented enough I'm not sure how much bearing youth shuold have on professional sportsmen.

but egos are egos and there's little you can do to combat the precious little boys.

Guest alex

Needs to concentrate on being a consistent Premiership performer first. If he turns out to be as good as we all hope then it'll happen further down the line.

Nah, that should be the 'keeper.

and a keeper should never be the captain, so logically the Captain should NEVER be the first name on the team sheet.

and a keeper should never be the captain, so logically the Captain should NEVER be the first name on the team sheet.

What if the keeper is someone who inspires his team mates such as say Lev Yashin or Peter Schmeichel?

What if the keeper is someone who inspires his team mates such as say Lev Yashin or Peter Schmeichel?

No :pray:

he would be a great captain. its never too early as long as you can show leadership and determination for your team look what he did against holland, if thats not working for your team then i dont know what is. taylor for captain deff!

this is the thing tho, at present I don't see anyone in the squad as a guaranteed starter bar Shay Given, and I'm not a fan of goalkeeper captains, unless they are called Peter and Danish. Shay Given doesn't strike me as the most vocal goalkeeper (one of the reasons in my opinion there has been that uncertainty at the back, a minor reason however) and his kicking is a bit dodge, a fine shot stopper he is and this will never be in question. Maybe Big Sam does have someone up his sleeve, someone that he wants to bring is as captain.

It's quite a conundrum really, whey you think about it. There's not really many who stick out as automatic captain material. I don't like keepers as captains so Shay's out for me. As Dan pointed out, the captain really should be starting every game which I can't see Taylor doing.

Hmmm, Owen ?? I would have said that Large Sam might have gone for Geremi, but he's gonna be missing when the African cup starts.

:pray: