Roeder warns Big Sam

Former Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has issued a withered riposte in the direction of Sam Allardyce, following the new man's claim it could take five years before he delivers success at St James' Park.

Upon his arrival in the North East, Allardyce's mantra has been one of patience, urging the club's success-starved supporters not to have too high expectations of his team.

Allardyce has not been shy with his view that the club's playing staff needs a major overhaul and he has already set about doing just that, with four high-profile signings, while seven players have been culled.

Roeder, though, believes Allardyce is levelling criticism at those that managed before him as a defence mechanism, creating a shield from the ire that may come his way should he not bring the silverware the club craves.

"It's a sad excuse for Sam to ask the fans to be patient while he builds the team for the next five years," Roeder told the Daily Mirror.

"I think the supporters of Newcastle United will be angry at being asked to be patient. All they have ever done is show patience.

"Big Sam says he's aiming for a top-six finish in five years, but they should be finishing in the top six next season without any problems.

"He's already been able to strengthen the squad in a way that wasn't available to me, so I'm not sure quite what else he needs to get them into the top six.

"Instead, he's making his excuses before a ball has even been kicked. The truth is that he hasn't got any excuses for not finishing in the top six.

"He's made criticisms of panic buys at the club but I'll stand by my record on that. Obafemi Martins was an outstanding success, Antoine Sibierski was the best free transfer of the season and the fans will see the best of Damien Duff when he recovers from injury.

"Saying it's a five-year job would be too much for most Newcastle fans. He doesn't have the right to ask them to be patient."

Roeder has warned Allardyce that he will not be awarded the luxury of patience indefinitely and, should he fail to deliver, then a ready-made replacement is waiting in the wings.

"The other problem Sam has is that he and every other new manager will live under the shadow of Alan Shearer, who is the fans' favourite son and rightly so," he added.

"Shearer will not wait for ever to manage the club. He was supportive of me last year and he could see that a rebuilding job had to be done.

"There will come a time when he will want to manage the club, and in those circumstances Sam can ask for five years - but I don't think he'll get that long."

What qualifies Roeder to lectuer anyone on how to run a football team. Has he forgotten what he did last year. WANKER

Roeder should mind his own business. He sounds like he's sucked a lemon before saying the things he' said. Two words here: Sour grapes.

We as fans want to forget about the past and move on. Reading what he's said has brought up very bad memories.

Edited by Ken

Arsenal could turn out to be very weak next season.

If anybody will break the top four, it will happen next season, and I can't help but think that we have one hell of a chance.

Compare our players to Bolton's and they constantly finish in the top 8.

Former Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has issued a withered riposte in the direction of Sam Allardyce, following the new man's claim it could take five years before he delivers success at St James' Park.

Fucking tosser.

It'll take 5 years just to clean up the mess him and Souness left behind.

Edited by Bizza

"He's already been able to strengthen the squad in a way that wasn't available to me"

True, but it only wasn't available to you because you're a complete cretin.

Aye, that £1.5m Sam has spent has really broken the bank. :D

Guest alex
"He's already been able to strengthen the squad in a way that wasn't available to me"

True, but it only wasn't available to you because you're a complete cretin.

Aye, that £1.5m Sam has spent has really broken the bank. :D

Joey Barton was cheap like.