Biggest clubs in Europe

McFaul

Whatever criteria you have is up to you, but to you personally (not including British clubs), who do you view as the 10 biggest clubs in mainland Europe?

Here's mine

1. Real Madrid - undoubted 9 European Cup's unparalelled support

2. AC Milan - 6 times European Champions biggest match going support in Italy

3. Barcelona - underachievers, yet they've still achieved a lot, true global club

4. Bayern Munich - have the biggest support of one single club in an individual country in Europe

5. Inter - Fine history and support, spend more than anyone else in Italy

6. Benfica - True European giants, often over looked glorious history, 50% of their country supports them

7. Juventus - Most succesful club in Italian football, most widely supported in Italy but their match going support is a true disgrace and their European record means they're not higher in my list

8. Ajax - Four times champion of Europe in a country where the best players often have to be sold, absolutely astonishing, as long as there's football Ajax will be a big name

9. Borussia Dortmund - Club with the highest average gate in world football currently and they're shite, had a great run in the 90's and deserved their European successes, especially the CL in 1997

10.Marseille - A club similar to my own, decent fan base across France, but the majority of their true support is from the city, the ground is always full, they should be the dominant force in French football, and you could argue that for 2 or 3 years in the 90's they were the best side in Europe. They really should have 2 European Cup's the 1993 one is clouded because of Tapie, and 1991 and the pens loss was a travesty

I think of the British clubs only Man Utd and Liverpool would be in there at the expense of OM and BVB.

Guest alex

Would definitely go along with the top 3. I'll have a think about the others but the likes of Bayern Munich, Inter, Juve and Benfica immediately sprang to mind. Celtic might scrape in.

Would definitely go along with the top 3. I'll have a think about the others but the likes of Bayern Munich, Inter, Juve and Benfica immediately sprang to mind. Celtic might scrape in.

Why would Celtic scrape in? They'd never even averaged over 40,000 in their history before 1997, while we've averaged over 50,000 17 times. They won 1 European Cup a great achievement, but they're no bigger than us.

Guest alex

Why would Celtic scrape in? They'd never even averaged over 40,000 in their history before 1997, while we've averaged over 50,000 17 times. They won 1 European Cup a great achievement, but they're no bigger than us.

I suppose just by being the first British club to win it. I didn't know that about the attendances, I must confess. Hard to disagree with your list though.

You seem to have based it largely on the club's history.

In actual size, I'd have Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea in there. I'd also have Real Madrid and Barcelona. AC Milan and Inter Milan. The other two would probably be Bayern Munich and Lyon.

That's just at the moment, though.

In actual size, I'd have Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea in there. I'd also have Real Madrid and Barcelona. AC Milan and Inter Milan. The other two would probably be Bayern Munich and Lyon.

It was without UK teams if you read it again.

Good reason for not having Celtic in as well.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

What exactly is the point in this thread, then?

Edited by Offshore Toon

Can you not read?? The thread asks you who you think are the biggest clubs in Europe. If you've got nothing to say, which clearly you haven't being a fuckin dick asking stupid questions like that, say nothing.

Can you not read?? The thread asks you who you think are the biggest clubs in Europe. If you've got nothing to say, which clearly you haven't being a fuckin dick asking stupid questions like that, say nothing.

If you asking who the biggest clubs in Europe were, I'd have no problem, but you specifically asked people not to include clubs from the UK. Why would you do that?

If you asking who the biggest clubs in Europe were, I'd have no problem, but you specifically asked people not to include clubs from the UK. Why would you do that?

Perhaps because the British have always had this thing about not been called European, I know I have and still do. Had a hissy-fit when they changed the passports and put European Union on the front cover, called the British Embassy in Washington DC and lodged a complaint.

Didn't realise Karl Pilkington was a member here

Celtic Definatley, just for the world wide support not for the cups. IMO there are only three world clubs in English Football.

Manure

Celtic

Liverpoo

So if you class Celtic in them, then you can class them in Europe IMO?

Celtic Definatley, just for the world wide support not for the cups. IMO there are only three world clubs in English Football.

Manure

Celtic

Liverpoo

So if you class Celtic in them, then you can class them in Europe IMO?

So Celtic are English now? :D

• 1 year later...
Guest Stevie
Oh yeah, the utter fucking spaz of an OP having Inter above Juventus :icon_lol:

Juventus bigger than Inter ;) Why because they've won more Serie A titles? So fuck, Liverpool aren't bigger than Man Utd, and they've more titles and European Cups.

Inter..................................Juventus

16..............Titles..................29

2.........European Champions...2

145m........Turnover...........108m

68,459..highest ave last 20 years...50,026

45,126..lowest ave last 20 years...18,808

59,000..ave over the last 20 years..32,000

5...major honours won last 10 years....2

Who spends more money? Inter

Who clearly has bigger fanbase? Inter

Who clearly has been the bigger club for a decade? Inter

Only an idiot could say Juventus are a bigger club, how many of their lied about 10m fanbase in Italy actually went to see them play on average last season? 20,000! Coming third top of the fourth best league in the world. Inter are a much much bigger club than Juventus in 2008 as are AC Milan.

Juve are a bigger club than Inter. They don't have that many local fans so to speak but they certainly have a far bigger fanbase all around Italy and abroad.

Guest Stevie
Juve are a bigger club than Inter. They don't have that many local fans so to speak but they certainly have a far bigger fanbase all around Italy and abroad.

That's not how I measure size they've clearly had a bigger impact on the Italian game over the last 10 years, have more money and by far more match going fans. Their home support is a complete and utter joke, the fact they call themselves a massive, massive club yet only 20,000 of their so called worldwide fanbase can be arsed to go shows them up for what they are.