University Applications/Life

Offshore Toon

I will be applying for University very shortly, so at the moment I am making up/exaggerating a load of stuff.

Does anybody know any good tips for personal statements besides 'be honest' and 'write stuff that relates to the course you're applying for'?

Also, which University in the North-East is the best?

I will be applying for University very shortly, so at the moment I am making up/exaggerating a load of stuff.

Does anybody know any good tips for personal statements besides 'be honest' and 'write stuff that relates to the course you're applying for'?

Depends what you're doing, which is the same for comparing unis anywhere. A decent uni may have some outstanding departments and others which fall into the 'pissup in a brewery' category.

The statement doesn't really make much difference, unless its an uber competitive course (or Oxbridge). If you get the grades you won't have a problem. Having said that put just follow the above cliches and you'll be fine.

Best Uni's in the North East solely on reputation are Durham and Newcastle, although the others may be good on certain courses. Do a little research on the course you want to do with the guardian or times uni guides and that tells you the best for them.

I've done some research and most History and/or Politics courses don't seem too demanding around the North-East, bar Durham, of course.

I'm not fussed where I go, as I'll put in the effort to get a good pass level and then I'll waltz out with a degree and walk into a great job back home.

In doing so, I'll be able to see us win the Premiership in my final year.

Guest Patrokles

No university worth its salt would take you solely on an application/grades/statement anyway. It's the interview you want to worry about.

I've done some research and most History and/or Politics courses don't seem too demanding around the North-East, bar Durham, of course.

I'm not fussed where I go, as I'll put in the effort to get a good pass level and then I'll waltz out with a degree and walk into a great job back home.

In doing so, I'll be able to see us win the Premiership in my final year.

I've just finished History at Northumbria. OK it doesn't have the rep of Durham or Newcastle, but they run a decent history course - good lecturers who are approachable and knowledgable. Very few problems - no major ones whatsoever.

No university worth its salt would take you solely on an application/grades/statement anyway. It's the interview you want to worry about.

That's the thing though, these days a lot of universities don't interview at all, just offer places based on the statement. Our department interviews everyone that applies, but then the students that turn up in first year seem to have had a lobotomy since their interview.

Do many universities do interviews? When I was applying to unis the only ones I knew that required an interview were Oxbridge.

Do many universities do interviews? When I was applying to unis the only ones I knew that required an interview were Oxbridge.

When I was applying, every course I applied to wanted an interview, however this was in 2000 and times have definitely changed.

When I was applying, every course I applied to wanted an interview, however this was in 2000 and times have definitely changed.

Perhaps it was different because I was from N. Ireland and the hassle involved in me attending an interview. I know I got accepted/rejected from all my choices without any talk of an interview in 2003.

Edited by ewerk

I'd apply to a fair few, so even if you get knocked back from your first choice(s) you don't have the lottery of clearing to endure.

I'd apply to a fair few, so even if you get knocked back from your first choice(s) you don't have the lottery of clearing to endure.

Yeah, I've done that.

My back-up is History/Politics at Northumbria as the minimum grades needed was extremely low for such a course. I think it was 180 points.

I did History and Politics mate, on my statement I just wrote some bollocks about how I was extremely interested in further enquiry into both subjects or something. Also told them I had an ambition to work in government. :icon_lol:

I am going to be applying to university next year. Not definite what I'll be studying, but I'm strongly considering politics. I don't know what grades I'll be getting for my AS levels - I hope to get an A in philosophy at least and Bs on the others but I've hashed up a couple of exams, which I'll have to resit, unfortunately after I apply though.

If I apply to Durham, it will be an "optimistic" application, as their required grades for subjects I may be interested in are a bit high for me. I like what I've heard of the university though and the same applies to Newcastle. Form what I've observed so far, the two places I want to go most are Nottingham and Exeter.

Yeah, I've done that.

My back-up is History/Politics at Northumbria as the minimum grades needed was extremely low for such a course. I think it was 180 points.

If you have any queries, or want to know about any of the History lecturers, feel free to ask.

Edited by Tom_NUFC

Yeah, I've done that.

If you have any queries, or want to know about any of the History lecturers, feel free to ask.

Cheers.

I'll probably start bothering you in a few weeks. :jesuswept:

Does anyone understand the Honorary Degree system? Are they just given to local celebrities for the sake of it, and who chooses what area? Like Bobby Robson got a Civil Law one, Steve McClaren got a Social Science one ffs. :jesuswept:

At my graduation next week we have the Archbishop of York picking one up and earlier in the week Sean Bean is getting one!

Back to uni for me as well now. Doing an M.Sc in Nuclear Technology with NTEC. The application form is more complex and detailed then any I've seen before and for my current job I needed to sign the official secrets act... I thought they'd make it easier for themselves to grab the money.