Sunderland bid £5m for Chopra

Sima

Mackems now saying Chopra was the best away player at the SOL last season. Fuck me, there must be a right load of shit in that league

Besides which, I'm sure I've heard that before on there about someone else.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevieintoon
apparently we earn £1.25million out of this deal as well, the mackems are fuming :icon_lol:

How do you know this? Absolute fact or potential made up pish?

Good luck to Chopra I say, he needs a SMB t shirt posting to him as well as Cup Final ticket if we get there.

I'd be surprised if there is a sell on clause. We didn't sell him he was offered a contract but rejected it and went to Cardiff, the fee was set by tribunal. I didn't know the tribunal could set sell on fee's.

NEWCASTLE United will not recieve a cash windfall from Michael Chopra's move from Cardiff City to Sunderland.

The £5million deal between the Bluebirds and Roy Keane's side will see Chopra return to the North-East after quitting Newcastle 12 months ago for South Wales.

But after recieving a £500,000 fee last summer for Chopra, Newcastle are not expected to get any further funds from a sell-on clause.

The situation about a sell-on fee had been unclear but a source close to Cardiff chairman Peter Ridsdale said: "The chairman made sure he settled the deal there and then with no sell on clause."

Good Championship player, you can't argue with his goal haul. Nopt quick enough for the premiership though.

It'll be interesting if he plays against us, what reaction do you think he'd get from the fans for playing and if (Big Al Forbid) he should score, how he would react

Was Chops born in Newcastle? Itll be interesting to see his celebrations if he scores for Sunderland. Hopefully, he'll have similar luck to Stead and Sunderlands premiership curse will long continue.

I get the feeling that the players the unwashed are trying to attract can only see them being relegated and

don't want to take the risk.

Derby day cannot come quick enough!

I have to say I adore your signature!

Johnny Ryall though isn't it?

SMB is hilarious at times.

More or less every Newcastle fan they are speaking to rates Chopra, were sad to see him leave us and think they have a bargain.

Ha ha, good stuff, the mackems are getting their knickers in a twist because he played for, and supports, us.

They should be more concerned that he is no where near a premiership standard player tbh.

I had concerns the SMBs might surpass us this year, but that's not likely given the past two months. I reckon they might get relegated - AGAIN. :jesuswept:

Meh I would have like to see him succeed as a decent Premiership striker........ but not really for Sunderland.

Nice profit Cardiff made as well.

Chops facing Bigg problem

Jul 12 2007

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

BOB MONCUR has warned Michael Chopra he will have to keep a “wise head” on his shoulders after making his £5m switch to Sunderland from Cardiff City – and how he would be silly to walk through the Bigg Market as a Black Cats player.

The former Newcastle United striker was offered the chance to stay on at St James’ Park last season by then boss Glenn Roeder, but opted to quit Tyneside in the search for a regular run-out with the Bluebirds.

Fairs Cup-winning skipper Moncur made a similar transition back in the 1970s and told the Chronicle today: “To be honest it is a little bit different to when I made the move.

“I had just been captain of Newcastle at the FA Cup final and I was going to Sunderland to take the captain’s armband from Bobby Kerr after agreeing to do so for Bob Stokoe.

“I left Newcastle because I had been there 14 years and it was time for a change.

“I needed a new challenge and in my two years there we just missed out on promotion in the first season then went up in the second.

“I had a lot of people coming up to me and saying ‘how can you go?’

“For me it was because I had a young family growing up in the North-East and I did not want to uproot them.

“Michael’s move is different and I think the biggest problem he has is his price.

“People will expect results and goals and if they don’t come they will react to the fact he was at Newcastle and is a Geordie.”

Speaking on how Chopra will have to re-think his time away from the club, Moncur feels he must take the responsible approach.

He added: “When I left people would come up to you in pubs and such like and have a bit of light-hearted banter, like how could you sign for Sunderland Bob?

“It was no more than banter back then and you could talk to supporters.

“This is a big chance for Michael under Roy Keane but he must be careful.

“He will be wise enough to keep a low profile in my opinion, but he must remember that this is a different world to the one I lived in and played in.

“Back then, even if we got beat the Newcastle team used to head to the Old George pub and have a pint with the fans.

“Nowadays you cannot do that, there is no light-hearted stick.

“There is no way he can walk through the Bigg Market after scoring goals for Sunderland.

“It is sad the world is like that and sad that because of that the fans cannot get to meet their heroes like they used to.”