The New Club Captain is...

Armband up for grabsJul 13 2007

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

SAM ALLARDYCE will use his pre-season friendlies to determine who will captain United throughout the coming season.

The United players were back at their Benton HQ again for training this morning after two days off following their Austrian boot camp, but as yet they still don’t know who their on-the-pitch leader will be for the coming term.

And Allardyce’s search for a captain will begin at Victoria Park on Tuesday night when a big contingent of the Toon Army will be heading down the A19 to take in his first game in charge of the Magpies against League One outfit Hartlepool.

But United fans can expect to see a flurry of different players donning the skipper’s armband in the games against Carlisle, Hull, Celtic, Juventus and Sampdoria before the season begins on August 11 at Sam’s old club Bolton.

Allardyce must make his decision, of course, due to the departure of Scott Parker to West Ham, but certain sections of the Geordie crowd were never really convinced the Londoner was captain material.

The obvious candidate would be last term’s vice-captain Shay Given, who has done the job before on a temporary basis.

And the same could be said for Nicky Butt, who captained United on several occasions last season and has also led out Manchester United during his days at Old Trafford.

Nobby Solano, Stephen Carr and Kieron Dyer all have plenty of experience, but won’t be considered as serious contenders for the job.

But with Michael Owen having nailed his colours to the black-and-white mast, the man who skippered England to a 4-0 win against Paraguay in 2002 could yet emulate Alan Shearer as captain of both United and the Three Lions.

Owen, at 22, became England’s youngest captain since Bobby Moore, and it could be argued he is experienced enough to do the job on a full-time basis for United.

And with Fairs Cup-winning captain Bobby Moncur calling for Steven Taylor to take the armband earlier in the summer, the England Under-21 star is also thought to be under consideration, despite the fact he will miss most of pre-season with an ankle problem.

Edited by Fat Boy

i wouldn't bet against owen getting it now he's come out and said he wants to stay. he's guaranteed to start when fit so it would make sense.

i'd give to nobby if sam sees him as a first team regular. given is the obvious contender, but i'm not a fan of goalies as captain.

it has come to soon for taylor imo

Do we really need to name someone as club captain?

Why not give it to the most deserving player who is starting? Be it Given, Owen, Nobby, Taylor, Dyer (!)

Naming one person just makes it harder to drop them if their form dips. It seems to me that the leadership would still be there.

Sure maybe Owen (or someone else) will be captain most frequently but that doesn't mean they have to be captain ALL THE TIME.

What about the idea of a leadership group and name possibly 2-3 players in that group eg Given, Owen, Butt. Then during the season just rotate the armband through the 3 or however many there may be?

It'll be Owen I reckon, thinking being to try and make him a bit happier so he'll not fuck of in January if we aren't in the top 6,

I think Owen is going to be giving it as well.

Probs find out on Monday. I guess this means the squad numbers will be confirmed shortly as well?

It'll be Owen I reckon, thinking being to try and make him a bit happier so he'll not fuck of in January if we aren't in the top 6,

Probs find out on Monday. I guess this means the squad numbers will be confirmed shortly as well?

New phone again? :jesuswept:

New phone again? :jesuswept:

No I'm just thick! :lol:

No use giving it to Owen he doesn't play enough games in a season.

My guess is Barton but I'd like to see Shay get it and hope that it inspires him to be more vocal.

Giving it to Taylor would be the wrong thing to do, he's too young and after all the new signings are in, I don't think he will even be first choice starting 11.

My guess is Barton but I'd like to see Shay get it and hope that it inspires him to be more vocal.

Giving it to Taylor would be the wrong thing to do, he's too young and after all the new signings are in, I don't think he will even be first choice starting 11.

I think you are wrong on both counts.

I think you are wrong on both counts.

Really, why?

It'll be Owen IMO. And I don't think he'll do a bad job of it tbh.

I would say Nicky Butt but I'm not sure he's going to be a regular in the starting line-up.

I'd avoid Barton at this point in time - think he needs to get his head down and concentrate on his football.

Too soon for Taylor and I don't think the likes of Nobby or Carr are going to be around that much longer.

It'll be Owen IMO. And I don't think he'll do a bad job of it tbh.

I would say Nicky Butt but I'm not sure he's going to be a regular in the starting line-up.

I'd avoid Barton at this point in time - think he needs to get his head down and concentrate on his football.

Too soon for Taylor and I don't think the likes of Nobby or Carr are going to be around that much longer.

Agreed, I'm sure it will be Owen, certainly I think Taylor has potential to be captain in the future, but it's too soon for him right now.

What about the idea of a leadership group and name possibly 2-3 players in that group eg Given, Owen, Butt. Then during the season just rotate the armband through the 3 or however many there may be?

I really like this idea, then again I know where you took the idea from and I think it works really well. :lol: Even though Hawthorn are shite. :jesuswept:

Taylor in line to be skip

Jul 15 2007

by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

STEVEN TAYLOR is the shock leading candidate for the vacant Newcastle captaincy — and the chance to become the youngest United skipper of all time.

Magpies boss Sam Allardyce is ready to hand the armband to 21-year-old Taylor ahead of more senior candidates to succeed the departed Scott Parker.

Shay Given, Nicky Butt and Nobby Solano are also in the frame, but Allardyce believes Taylor may benefit most from the added responsibility of leadership.

Taylor is fighting to be fit for the start of the season on August 12, but that is not thought to have affected Allardyce’s thinking on the captaincy issue.

Given — Parker’s deputy last season — was thought to be favourite for promotion, but there remain doubts within St James’s Park over the wisdom of having a goalkeeping captain.

Newcastle’s hierarchy are delighted at the prospect of a return to the days of a Geordie skipper, with Taylor set to follow in the footsteps of Alan Shearer.

If he does get the nod, Taylor will replace Jermaine Jenas as Newcastle’s youngest skipper.

Jenas was 21 years and nine months when he led United out against Crystal Palace in November 2004 while Shearer was injured.

Taylor would better Jenas’s mark by two months.

Meanwhile, Newcastle sources have played down talk that Allardyce is set to sign Nice right-back Rod Fanni.