Windows Vista

Lazarus

Had the ultimate version installed for about a week or so and its 'very fancy'. :jesuswept:

Bit concerned that my ram usage sometimes hovers around the 50% mark but its pretty good.

The beta version of peerguardian appears to be working correctly, avg, football manager 2007 all seem to work fine. desktopx refuses to work though. everything appears to be ok with 2 exceptions:

1) rapget loads but doesnt download anything (i currently have 454 pending downloads :lol: )

2) i had to manually download my onboard soundcard drivers and install them myself as vista wouldnt install them from the cd.

Even though ive crashed it twice it seems pretty stable - theres supposedly a service pack due out shortly as well that may improve things further.

Still tempted to go back to my microxp installation though.......

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My system, and everyone elses Vista I know of runs at 50% RAM usage, although I find the new features nice, the stablity and performance of my machine has gone backwards since using Vista.

My system, and everyone elses Vista I know of runs at 50% RAM usage, although I find the new features nice, the stablity and performance of my machine has gone backwards since using Vista.

Id say performance wise it seems to be on a par with the full retail version of xppro.

However, my microxp installation was amazingly fast.

Not sure if i should stick with vista and see if the 1st service pack improves things though.......

thank gawd for that I thought it was just me with the RAM.

Mine sits on 47% almost permanently which means Im using nearly 1Gb for the OS. Seems fairly stable although for some reason my screen saver never kicks in even though its set to at 2 mins.

as someone who uses their pc for music production, frankly those figures you've said about ram usage do worry me. some of my piano samples use 1.5gb of memory and i can't see the point of an os needing all the bells and whistles that vista has.

also my sound interface doesn't run on vista yet. its a very high quality bit of kit but the manufacturer isn't happy with these new wave rt things vista goes on about. i'm not about to ditch a £800 sound module just to run something that looks fancy...

Talked that fucker up, started up my machine today and for reasons best know to itself according to Vista I've got no audio devices installed !

Im quite happy with XP.

Stick with it until you have no choice but to upgrade.

There are loads of decent refurbs or returns that are shipping with XP Pro which for me is hard to beat as a stable Windows OS.

Edited by Matt

The nerd in me as been tempted to upgrade but what Ive read here and similar things elsewhere has put me off. Seems to have some nice features, but Im not keen on it being such a system leech and knocking the compatibility of some of my software. Maybe if I upgrade to a new PC I'd go for it but on my current system I reckon Ill stick to XP. Its fast and its stable.

Im quite happy with XP.

Stick with it until you have no choice but to upgrade.

Wait until you have absolutely no choice but to upgrade....... and then switch to a nice user friendly Linux (like Ubuntu) tbh.

Although at least Vista is better than MS's previous purely money-spinning release, Win ME.

I've not heard anyone say anything good about Win ME, but I ran it on a laptop for five years with pretty heavy usage and it never really gave me any problems. It was a Packard Bell too, chances of that working that long are usually pretty slim.

I'm with Fop, the next OS I get after XP Pro will probably be Linux-based.

I've not heard anyone say anything good about Win ME, but I ran it on a laptop for five years with pretty heavy usage and it never really gave me any problems. It was a Packard Bell too, chances of that working that long are usually pretty slim.

I'm with Fop, the next OS I get after XP Pro will probably be Linux-based.

In fairness they did eventually patch it into a working version, although it was still basically a hugely bloatware resource hogging version of Win 98 SE.

If you got a later release of it you probably wouldn't have had too many problems, if you got an early release then you'd have probably thought you'd just basically been mugged for £125 :crying: (and then got Win 2k instead).

I had a 2001-era PC running 2000 Professional until very recently. Bought something new off-the-shelf with Vista preinstalled without even thinking about looking for XP refurbs etc., and while it's all very nice and new and sparkly, there are various glitches and (not unexpected) compatibility issues with bits of software that I use a lot, so... meh.

I found out what the problem was with the screensaver, mine was never kicking in even though I had it set to 2 minutes. Finally bothered to look it up yesterday and came across this > http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/chris123n...8/06/16537.aspx

Turns out its because Im using a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse! unplug them and the screensaver kicks in!

What a pile of shite! Microsoft cant even get their own hardware to work with Vista :crying:

I found out what the problem was with the screensaver, mine was never kicking in even though I had it set to 2 minutes. Finally bothered to look it up yesterday and came across this > http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/chris123n...8/06/16537.aspx

Turns out its because Im using a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse! unplug them and the screensaver kicks in!

What a pile of shite! Microsoft cant even get their own hardware to work with Vista :PMT:

How do you unplug a wireless keyboard and mouse? :jesuswept::crying:

Bit of advice:

ive just realised that my dvd drive wont recognise ANY discs (been using my cdrom drive) and refuses to burn.

its a liteon shw 160p6s.

the solution was to uninstall the 'Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller' from the device manager and reboot.

windows then installs the correct drivers for the device.

• 4 weeks later...
Just had my first BSOD - during a defrag. :lol:

oh dear, mine's been ok for a while now, fingers crossed. touch wood etc.

Just had my first BSOD - during a defrag. :lol:

oh dear, mine's been ok for a while now, fingers crossed. touch wood etc.

Touch Bill...... or pay him anyway.

Actually I expect that will be in Windows WNSMCP, you either pay an "optional" monthly fee (to get the "Windows Extortion" version) or get to put up with the BSOD "feature". :nufc:

• 1 month later...

My mate had to borrow my laptop for uni the other day and he placed Office 2007 on there and it is bloody swish and i like the look of it. So this got me thinking whether i should upgrade XP upto Vista, so the question is should i or should i not? Is there still problems with Vista or have they been fixed?