Windows Vista

Lazarus

My mate had to borrow my laptop for uni the other day and he placed Office 2007 on there and it is bloody swish and i like the look of it. So this got me thinking whether i should upgrade XP upto Vista, so the question is should i or should i not? Is there still problems with Vista or have they been fixed?

Theres been a few updates but no sign of a proper service pack.

But if you can 'acquire' a copy and can go back to xp if you dont like it - then go for it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using it for about 6 months now and am more than happy with it. Upgraded to Office 2007 about 2 months back and now wish I had it at work.

It's needing a SP releasing and should be coming out very soon.

I've been using it for about 6 months now and am more than happy with it. Upgraded to Office 2007 about 2 months back and now wish I had it at work.

It's needing a SP releasing and should be coming out very soon.

Aye they usually get a decent SP out to fix problems their prime OS release reasonable quickly.

Of course their non-prime OS is a different matter (Win2k's last scheduled SP was scrapped because... well the couldn't be arsed basically), the next service pack for XP, who knows, even though there's about 48 updates from a clean SP2 install at the moment.

Im duel booting at the moment but primarily use Vista now. There are things that Im still not used to and getting to grips with, there are things that bug the life out of me (do you want to do this? *click* are you sure you want to do this? *click* well Id like permission to do it anyway *click**click**click**click*)

Ive not messed around with its settings much yet like. Office 07 is much better as well once you get used to it.

I've stuck with Vista, I like it asthetically, but performance wise I just think XP works better, clearly faster, but not as "nice" as Vista.

Im duel booting at the moment but primarily use Vista now. There are things that Im still not used to and getting to grips with, there are things that bug the life out of me (do you want to do this? *click* are you sure you want to do this? *click* well Id like permission to do it anyway *click**click**click**click*)

Ive not messed around with its settings much yet like. Office 07 is much better as well once you get used to it.

You can turn all that shite off - but your right, there are a few things that bug me as well that i dont appear to be getting used to.

like if you copy a file to a folder it automatically puts it in alpha order so you then have to scroll back through the folder in order to access it.

its also very slow in transferring files from one location to another.

You can turn all that shite off - but your right, there are a few things that bug me as well that i dont appear to be getting used to.

like if you copy a file to a folder it automatically puts it in alpha order so you then have to scroll back through the folder in order to access it.

its also very slow in transferring files from one location to another.

Where is that option? (to save me digging around)

Had the ultimate version installed for about a week or so and its 'very fancy'. <_<

Bit concerned that my ram usage sometimes hovers around the 50% mark but its pretty good.

The beta version of peerguardian appears to be working correctly, avg, football manager 2007 all seem to work fine. desktopx refuses to work though. everything appears to be ok with 2 exceptions:

1) rapget loads but doesnt download anything (i currently have 454 pending downloads :blink: )

2) i had to manually download my onboard soundcard drivers and install them myself as vista wouldnt install them from the cd.

Even though ive crashed it twice it seems pretty stable - theres supposedly a service pack due out shortly as well that may improve things further.

Still tempted to go back to my microxp installation though.......

It uses a lot of ram cause it checks thousands of times a minute if there is summat it can grass you to Microsoft for..

My mate had to borrow my laptop for uni the other day and he placed Office 2007 on there and it is bloody swish and i like the look of it. So this got me thinking whether i should upgrade XP upto Vista, so the question is should i or should i not? Is there still problems with Vista or have they been fixed?

Theres been a few updates but no sign of a proper service pack.

But if you can 'acquire' a copy and can go back to xp if you dont like it - then go for it.

Vista SP1 is due out in the first quarter of next year, they're currently doing beta testing on it. They'll also be the final SP for XP around the same time apparently.

I've stuck with Vista, I like it asthetically, but performance wise I just think XP works better, clearly faster, but not as "nice" as Vista.

Much like 2k vs WinXP (unless you stripped WinXP right down to what would be effectively Win2k SE anyway), by the time you upgraded your PC to negate the performance loss of the extra bloatware the OS is probably 1/2 through it's shelf-life.

It's no coincidence at all that they kept DirectX 10 for Vista, when there's no real reason (other than making people buy Vista) for not releasing it on XP and every game would have ran much better (on the same hardware) on that OS for the next year or so anyway.

It uses a lot of ram cause it checks thousands of times a minute if there is summat it can grass you to Microsoft for..

It's ironic that people worry about spyware, but don't realise that Vista basically IS spyware.

Much like 2k vs WinXP (unless you stripped WinXP right down to what would be effectively Win2k SE anyway), by the time you upgraded your PC to negate the performance loss of the extra bloatware the OS is probably 1/2 through it's shelf-life.

It's no coincidence at all that they kept DirectX 10 for Vista, when there's no real reason (other than making people buy Vista) for not releasing it on XP and every game would have ran much better (on the same hardware) on that OS for the next year or so anyway.

It's ironic that people worry about spyware, but don't realise that Vista basically IS spyware.

Eh??

XP was far more than just an 'aesthetic' upgrade of 2K, it was a whole new operating system which they eventually tailored to resemble Win2K. For example, the boot cycle in XP is considerably quicker than in 2K.

Eh??

XP was far more than just an 'aesthetic' upgrade of 2K, it was a whole new operating system which they eventually tailored to resemble Win2K. For example, the boot cycle in XP is considerably quicker than in 2K.

I dunno it's no more or less a new OS than Win98 to Win98 SE (they didn't call that Win99 or whatever and they changed a lot between those even the boot system in that IIRC). Or maybe even Win95a and b to Win95c.

Although of course WinME was released as a new OS when I'm not sure it was even really Win98 TE maybe Win 98SE.5 or something. :lol:

But for a long time Win2k gave you better raw performance than WinXP, unless you stripped all the extraneous stuff out (although yes it still did have a better boot system).

With Vista they are moving a lot of things in a much more Linux-esq direction, beneath the hood anyway, but there's that much bloatware (and yes spyware) built in that on the same system you're going to be getting less performance in most anyway you care to measure it.

• 2 months later...

Just installed Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) Release Candidate, although its only a beta its already improved my system, it no longer takes 10 mins to delete an empty folder or to move files, so far so good, shame its taken a year to happen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...