Ashley IS Shephard

newcastlebroon

all this talk of ashley wanting a world class signing is bringing back all the memories of rooney, ronaldinho, ronaldo, and owen shite of shephards last few years in charge. Can't ashley see that it hasn't worked in the past.

I think Shepherd's main downfall was the managers he chose.

Also, it is obvious that Ashley has made it clear that SA has the funds to build a squad, so it is understandable that Ashley would want to put the club on the map again by making a huge signing.

I don't have a problem with 'trophy' signings, the problem in the past has been that they were often made at the expense of squad building but I think we can see from the signings made so far that increasing our strength in depth is something that Sam is trying to address.

Manager for the squad, chairman for the big names

It's that first bit that's been missing in the shepherd years that's messed us up

But the worry is does Sam want these players or are the money men deciding who to buy? These kinds of players touted dont sound like players that Sam would go for. As for a warchest, it seems as if we still seem to be making some shrewd deals in the market.

I don't have a problem with 'trophy' signings, the problem in the past has been that they were often made at the expense of squad building but I think we can see from the signings made so far that increasing our strength in depth is something that Sam is trying to address.

Nail on the head.

So long as the squad building is continuing, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 'trophy' signing to ice the cake. The problem in the past (since the summer we signed Bowyer to be fair) is that we've done no improvement on the squad and then bought a 'big name' in order to paper over the cracks.

The movement in the transfer window so far this summer suggests that we are planning for once. Given that Ashley doesn't officially become the owner until Wednesday, I think it's unfair to brand him the same as Shepherd over what was likely a mis-interpreted quote by the press.

Nail on the head.

So long as the squad building is continuing, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 'trophy' signing to ice the cake. The problem in the past (since the summer we signed Bowyer to be fair) is that we've done no improvement on the squad and then bought a 'big name' in order to paper over the cracks.

The movement in the transfer window so far this summer suggests that we are planning for once. Given that Ashley doesn't officially become the owner until Wednesday, I think it's unfair to brand him the same as Shepherd over what was likely a mis-interpreted quote by the press.

Probably, "sure I'd like to see some big name players at newcastle"

I'm sure Big Sam would be fucking fuming if he woke up to the news that we'd sign Ronaldinho. After all, it would push Shola further down the pecking order :crying:

Massive difference between going after someone world class and selling Gary Speed behind a managers back.

all this talk of ashley wanting a world class signing is bringing back all the memories of rooney, ronaldinho, ronaldo, and owen shite of shephards last few years in charge. Can't ashley see that it hasn't worked in the past.

Was Shearer not a world class signing like?

Name a lot more and you'll be on your way to having a point

As someone has pointed out our problem hasn't been signing world class players, it's been signing them while neglecting the rest of the squad. You could argue that had we not signed Shearer we'd have been able to spend the money on a new back line and possibly won the Championship.

As someone has pointed out our problem hasn't been signing world class players, it's been signing them while neglecting the rest of the squad. You could argue that had we not signed Shearer we'd have been able to spend the money on a new back line and possibly won the Championship.

Nailed on...

Chelsea, Arsenal & Man Utd managed to win championships on the back of signing world class players. I can't even believe this debate has ensued to be honest.

Name a lot more and you'll be on your way to having a point

:crying: Cheers.

FFS's problem was going for trophy players at the cost of not strengthening the squad, or getting blinded by £££'s in the eyes for past it ones (or even just to bolster his image or season tickets).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Ashley's idea to "signal his intent" so long as any big name player is worth the money and needed and the rest of the team issues aren't brushed under the rug to pay for it.

I mean I'd be absolutely gutted if we signed a trophy top quality midfield playmaker in this close season. :crying: