Owen woos Tyneside by bidding for the captaincy

Jimbo

Michael Owen has taken the latest step in his concerted charm offensive at Newcastle United, asking to be considered for the club captaincy. The England striker has been working tirelessly to convince sceptical supporters that he is committed to life on Tyneside after details emerged this summer of a £9 million release clause in his £110,000-a-week contract.

Sam Allardyce, the manager, has yet to allocate the captain’s armband for this season after the departure of Scott Parker to West Ham United. After a summer move failed to materialise, Owen is hoping that, having made positive noises last week over his willingness to stay, this latest gesture will back his words with deeds. “I’d love to skipper Newcastle,” he said.

Owen, who scored his first domestic goal in 19 months to help Allardyce launch his reign with a 3-1 friendly victory over Hartlepool United, revealed how a gruelling close-season fitness regime has helped his long-term recovery from the knee injury that forced him to write off most of last season.

“I’ve not really had a summer off,” he said. “Even when I was on holiday in Dubai, I was in the gym most days to top up my fitness, so I’m fitter than I’ve ever been for a preseason. We are all looking forward to the season now – that’s when you want to be banging them in.”

Related Links

Allardyce was pleased with the forward’s performance in his first match in charge of the club after leaving Bolton Wanderers near the end of last season. “Michael is one of the reasons I came here,” Allardyce said. “When you decide to come to a football club, you look at the players they have got and say, ‘What chance have I got of being successful at a football club like this?’ When there’s Michael Owen there, that quality obviously delights you.”

Mike Ashley, Newcastle’s billionaire new owner, has delisted the club from the Stock Exchange after completing his £131 million takeover by the compulsory purchase of the remaining 5 per cent of shares.

Michael Owen has taken the latest step in his concerted charm offensive at Newcastle United, asking to be considered for the club captaincy. The England striker has been working tirelessly to convince sceptical supporters that he is committed to life on Tyneside after details emerged this summer of a £9 million release clause in his £110,000-a-week contract.

What a load of utter bollocks(not from Owen).

Charm offensive?

What a load of utter bollocks(not from Owen).

Charm offensive?

:razz: It's his column man. He's taken to writing it in the third person. "Michael Owen ramped up his charm offensive on the Geordie public yesterday by handing out free Greggs pasties on a busy Northumberland Street. Star striker Owen even took the time to give mouth to mouth resuscitation to a passer by who collapsed at the scene. When quizzed about the incident, Mr. Owen was his usual humble self: "All in a day's work ma'am. This is my city, these are my people, and none of them are going to die. Not on my watch.""

Guest stevieintoon
Only if he re-signs on a new contract, without any release clauses. Then he will have shown his commitment to Newcastle.

What a load of bollocks.

I think the shrimp muncher is right tbh

Only if he re-signs on a new contract, without any release clauses. Then he will have shown his commitment to Newcastle.

What a load of bollocks.

I don't see any reason why a professional footballer who has a release clause in his contract should ask to have it removed just to appease the fans. If we don't want release clauses in people's contracts, we need to tell them when they sign that they can't have one. No one should expect Owen to ask to have his removed though.

At this stage it might end up working in our favour anyway - if he decides he wants to leave at the end of this season with one year left on his contract, we've guaranteed ourself a minimum fee, albeit of only a quarter of the amount we paid - it's either that or nothing one year later.

Aye if no one comes in for him this summer then the minimum fee will probably end up being all we could expect for him next year when he only has a year left, and hence isn't a problem any more.

That said if he is our prize asset (and I'm assuming that's what we would class a £17m striker as) we should be looking to get him on a new contract anyway by this stage. And of course that contract should have no clauses!

Edited by David Kelly

Guest stevieintoon

What a load of bollocks.

I don't see any reason why a professional footballer who has a release clause in his contract should ask to have it removed just to appease the fans. If we don't want release clauses in people's contracts, we need to tell them when they sign that they can't have one. No one should expect Owen to ask to have his removed though.

At this stage it might end up working in our favour anyway - if he decides he wants to leave at the end of this season with one year left on his contract, we've guaranteed ourself a minimum fee, albeit of only a quarter of the amount we paid - it's either that or nothing one year later.

I think if he signs a new contract next summer, it'll be a significant show of loyalty to not have a clause in it at all. If you sign for a new club, and have a release clause, it raises doubts straight away about how committed the player is. "It might go wrong so I have a way out" fuck that, it's tempting fate. The only release clauses we should ever have put in anyones contract, are the same ones Barcelona, Valencia and other Spanish clubs do. For example Ronaldinho's buy out clause is £58m, Leo Messi has a buy out clause of over £100m. Of course no one is going to pay that, so it's a statement of intent to scare off other clubs thinking they can poach their players.

The transfer market isn't fuckin ebay, a ridiculously low buy out clause is exactly the same as a reserve price on there. If you want the player you know the price. If there's no reserve price/clause, you can dictate the market and legally there's fuck all any agent, footballer or opposition club can do. You get occasions where players are cunts like Pierre van Hooijdonk and they refuse to play but that is rare. A superb show of loyalty from Owen, would be closing the door on the opportunity to stitch Newcastle up by moving for less than his true value, and closing the door on an escape route. An escape route?!?!?! I'd give both me baals to play for a club like Newcastle, and we're moving in the right direction.

Edited by stevieintoon

i'm guessing owen might see out his contract as captain, then if we haven't progressed under sam he'll probably fuck off to a bigger club on a freebie

What a load of bollocks.

I think if he signs a new contract next summer, it'll be a significant show of loyalty to not have a clause in it at all. If you sign for a new club, and have a release clause, it raises doubts straight away about how committed the player is. "It might go wrong so I have a way out" fuck that, it's tempting fate. The only release clauses we should ever have put in anyones contract, are the same ones Barcelona, Valencia and other Spanish clubs do. For example Ronaldinho's buy out clause is £58m, Leo Messi has a buy out clause of over £100m. Of course no one is going to pay that, so it's a statement of intent to scare off other clubs thinking they can poach their players.

The transfer market isn't fuckin ebay, a ridiculously low buy out clause is exactly the same as a reserve price on there. If you want the player you know the price. If there's no reserve price/clause, you can dictate the market and legally there's fuck all any agent, footballer or opposition club can do. You get occasions where players are cunts like Pierre van Hooijdonk and they refuse to play but that is rare. A superb show of loyalty from Owen, would be closing the door on the opportunity to stitch Newcastle up by moving for less than his true value, and closing the door on an escape route. An escape route?!?!?! I'd give both me baals to play for a club like Newcastle, and we're moving in the right direction.

I fucking can't believe it we actually agree on something (and I'd give your balls to be able to play for Newcastle).

Gemmill, you're right it is bollocks asking something like what I suggested but seriously that's the sort of commitment I think we as supporters deserve from the club captain. Parker never had it and unfortunately that why he wasn't a good captain.

Maybe we were spoilt with Shearer but Rob Lee who wasn't from the geordie nation was as commited to the club.

(Stevie it's a prawn, shrimps are what we call them in tv commercials for the 'mericans.)

Guest stevieintoon

What a load of bollocks.

I fucking can't believe it we actually agree on something (and I'd give your balls to be able to play for Newcastle).

Gemmill, you're right it is bollocks asking something like what I suggested but seriously that's the sort of commitment I think we as supporters deserve from the club captain. Parker never had it and unfortunately that why he wasn't a good captain.

Maybe we were spoilt with Shearer but Rob Lee who wasn't from the geordie nation was as commited to the club.

(Stevie it's a prawn, shrimps are what we call them in tv commercials for the 'mericans.)

Joe Mangle used to gan on aboot them, and Nel.

I don't care what Michael Owen's clause says. It is not his fault he has it. He is at the right age to be captain, and him sticking his hand up for it suggests to me he does care about this club. Give it to him.

he doesnt seem captain material that comment someone made about he needs to keep selfish outlook because he is a striker is right he should just be concentrating on the ball and scoring. should be taylor for captain or solano

he doesnt seem captain material that comment someone made about he needs to keep selfish outlook because he is a striker is right he should just be concentrating on the ball and scoring. should be taylor for captain or solano

So Shearer should never have been captain then??? :razz:

Michael Owen is old enough and good enough to know what is expected as a captain, and what is expected as a goal scorer. 2 separate things I know, and I'm sure he knows as well, just like Shearer knew.

He's nowhere near vocal enough on the pitch, and is hardly the type to lead by example. For my money Shearer wasn't that great a captain either, but at least he had those qualities.

So Taylor and Solano are both more vocal and more leaders on the pitch than Owen then???

I would suggest no, and I would suggest there isn't a player in the squad that fits that description ahead of Michael Owen.

Still Butt for me, or if I was Allardyce, which I'm not, I'm not that trim, but if I was I'd be on the look out for someone of those qualities, because leadership on the pitch is something I think this squad has been lacking since Speed left. Sorely lacking, and one of the major reasons we have gone backwards over that period.

I wouldn't say no to Butt. I love Butt. :razz:

But will he be at the club any longer than one season?

And is he vocal with leadership qualities???

I'd still give it to Owen, at least if we go well and has the captaincy and pride at what he's doing, it would give him an extra reason to stay.

So Shearer should never have been captain then??? :lol:

There were times when I thought Shearer shouldn't be captain, times when it didn't do his game any favours no matter how proud it made him. For me, centrehalves or midfield generals make the best captains. Whether we have anyone who fits the bill is debatable.

Remember when Bobby was grooming Dyer as our next captain?

As much as I hate him, Barton is the type of player you want as your captain, he's an aggressive, mouthy little turd.