Owen woos Tyneside by bidding for the captaincy

Jimbo

The problem with someone like Barton is that he gives the impression that he would try his arse off to attempt to do everything. This something that I think Parker got wrong as well. He saw that leading by example meant diving in, chasing round like a mentalist. For a captain I think you need a cool head, be controlled, be able to step back to see what's going on and give instruction/encouragement etc, be an example on and off the pitch.

The problem with someone like Barton is that he gives the impression that he would try his arse off to attempt to do everything. This something that I think Parker got wrong as well. He saw that leading by example meant diving in, chasing round like a mentalist. For a captain I think you need a cool head, be controlled, be able to step back to see what's going on and give instruction/encouragement etc, be an example on and off the pitch.

That's a different angle that I had't thought of. Well put too.

I suppose the main problem is that you either want a defender or a midlielder as your captain. Not many of the current crop are what you'd consider "first name on the team-sheet" material.

That's a very good point and kind of clashes with my own "give it to Taylor" views. Interesting, never looked at it like that and as you said, that could prove a problem, as it did for Parker. I'm sure the manager will spot that though, or you'd hope, and rectify things. As for Barton, I don't think new signings unless they are massively experienced and respected, should be made captain, not so soon. But that's just me.