Home Secretary : I smoked Cannabis

Guest alex

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6905886.stm

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has admitted she smoked cannabis while she was at Oxford University in the 1980s.

Her disclosure came the day after Prime Minister Gordon Brown said she would head a review of UK drugs strategy - including reviewing the cannabis laws.

"I did break the law... I was wrong... drugs are wrong," Ms Smith, 44, said.

She had smoked it "just a few times", had "not particularly" enjoyed it and had not taken any other illegal drugs, she told the BBC.

A number of senior politicians have admitted smoking cannabis in their youth - including at least one of her predecessors as home secretary, Charles Clarke.

Experience 'helps me understand'

Asked why today's students should listen when she urged them not to try the drug, she said that over the past 25 years the dangers of cannabis use had become clearer.

These included the mental health dangers of cannabis and the increasing strength of the drug.

I hope that my experiences in my life have actually helped me understand that I do want crime tackled

Jacqui Smith

Home secretary

Ms Smith said she did not think her admission made her unfit to be home secretary.

"I think in some ways I have learnt my lesson and I have a responsibility as home secretary now to make sure we put in place the laws and the support and information to make sure we carry on bringing cannabis use down, which we are doing," she told GMTV.

"On the whole I think people think human beings should do jobs like this. I am not proud about it, I did the wrong thing.

"One of the things about being a politician is that you are often criticised for not knowing what's going on. I hope that my experiences in my life have actually helped me understand that I do want crime tackled."

Ms Smith, who graduated from Hertford College in Oxford in 1984, went on to be a secondary school teacher before becoming one of the so-called "Blair babes" when she was elected Redditch MP in 1997.

Political confessions

Her appointment as home secretary was arguably the biggest surprise in Gordon Brown's first Cabinet, being promoted from her previous backroom role of labour's chief whip.

Past cannabis use has become less of an issue for politicians in the UK over recent years as a growing number have admitted using, or trying the drug while younger.

I've never taken any hard drugs. When I was a student, I took one or two puffs of marijuana but that was it.

Vernon Coaker's confession on becoming drugs minister in 2006

In 2000 then shadow home secretary Ann Widdecombe's call for £100 fines for cannabis possession led to eight members of the Conservative shadow cabinet admitting to smoking cannabis in the past.

Home Office minister Vernon Coaker admitted "when I was a student, I took one or two puffs of marijuana but that was it". Other past or present Labour ministers who have admitted cannabis use include Caroline Flint and Patricia Hewitt.

In 2004 the drug was downgraded from Class B, which includes things like amphetamines, to Class C alongside things like anabolic steroids, making it a largely non-arrestable offence.

But Ms Smith is now to review whether that move should be reversed in the light of research into links between cannabis use and mental health problems, and with crime.

A Home Office spokesman said the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) will be asked to review reports that danger from cannabis is increasing due to wider availability of more potent strains such as "skunk".

Is it just me or are the 'honest' admissions, a la Bill Clinton's 'I didn't inhale', coming from various politicians a load of shite? I think most sensible people know that most people who smoke the stuff (or have done), or do coke, get pissed or whatever do so because they enjoy it. I hate these admissions that always come with a caveat like "I did it, but I was just experimenting/didn't enjoy it". Until there is more honesty about this sort of thing nothing will change and the same problems (only on a bigger scale) will be around in 30 years or so.

Is it just me or are the 'honest' admissions, a la Bill Clinton's 'I didn't inhale', coming from various politicians a load of shite? I think most sensible people know that most people who smoke the stuff (or have done), or do coke, get pissed or whatever do so because they enjoy it. I hate these admissions that always come with a caveat like "I did it, but I was just experimenting/didn't enjoy it". Until there is more honesty about this sort of thing nothing will change and the same problems (only on a bigger scale) will be around in 30 years or so.

To admit to being a frequent user who enjoyed it would be political suicide though. I'd rather she did what she has and admitted taking it, but then said nothing else.

It is a bit of a dilemma though. On the one hand, its perfectly understandable why the government wants to discourage cannabis use. On the other hand, a politician can't be seen as a hypocrite. So what's the answer - to only have Anne Widdecombes running the government?

To admit to being a frequent user who enjoyed it would be political suicide though. I'd rather she did what she has and admitted taking it, but then said nothing else.

It is a bit of a dilemma though. On the one hand, its perfectly understandable why the government wants to discourage cannabis use. On the other hand, a politician can't be seen as a hypocrite. So what's the answer - to only have Anne Widdecombes running the government?

To have an open and honest debate would be my preference. Not realistic on this and various other matters I know. That was my point though.

OMG SOMEONE SMOKED A JOINT!! WORST THING EVER!! :/

Apparently she gave up after it led to her pouring drinks over herself.

OMG SOMEONE SMOKED A JOINT!! WORST THING EVER!! :/

Apparently she gave up after it led to her pouring drinks over herself.

Least she had the will power that's all I can say. :razz:

Until there is more honesty about this sort of thing nothing will change and the same problems (only on a bigger scale) will be around in 30 years or so.

The unfortunate fact is politicians are professional liars and hypocrites (look at their amendment to the freedom of information act - protecting their constituents my ass - protecting themselves and no one else).

Given that they are likely raking it in in several dubious ways on the political gravy train its amazing they are truthful about anything at all.

Basically the only honest politician would be one that didn't want to be one for much longer. :lol:

It really isn't a big deal, daft bint. I just wish people were more honest. "Yes I smoked joints and I enjoyed them, but no longer partake in such activity" - they'd get far more respect. Instead just sounds false as fook. Time they legalised it anyway, if only to spite the drug dealers.

Edited by Howaythetoon