Formations

Howaythetoon

We apparently lined up 4-4-2 against Pool, with one big man and small man either half in Carroll and Martins and then Ameobi and Owen respectively. Will Sam go with that or will he revert back to his favoured 4-3-3 formation once Viduka returns? Or does anyone think he's undecided yet or has another formation up his sleeve like 3-5-2 which has been talked about on N.O? Which formation would you like to see him go with and why? I'd go with 4-3-3 myself as I believe it to be a the best of both worlds type of formation, as it benefits both the defense and attack (4-5-1 off the ball, 2 or more forwards up front at all times, with wide players either side, when on the ball). However I don't think we have the players for it. Especially up front. Only three players I could see working in a forward 3 are Viduka, Carroll and Ameobi - all centre-forwards. Couldn't see either of Martins or Owen getting much joy in a forward three though, not playing wide of a central targetman anyway.

To make 4-3-3 work you also need a solid and very compact midfield, see Liverpool and Chelsea. Zoggy can play more of an attacking wide forward than a traditional winger but the others. And that would also mean one of our big name strikers will makeway? We also lack a playmaker in there and a real solid defensive midfielder. Unless we make some good signings in these positions I can't see Sam playing 4-3-3 which for him would be a break from tradition and really see him in unchartered waters.

Aside from transfers, I think this is the most interesting area and one I'm looking forward to see pan out.

Edited by Howaythetoon

I think we'll play 4-4-2, with Owen and Viduka the main pairing.

I still have a lot of faith in Ameobi having a good season though, which means that all 4 main strikers are going to be pissed off being on the bench after a while.

Can't see that we have the players for a 4-4-3, and it's the midfield that still worries me (especially as we're not selling Emre and getting in a decent playmaker).

I still have a lot of faith in Ameobi having a good season though, which means that all 4 main strikers are going to be pissed off being on the bench after a while.

Can't see that we have the players for a 4-4-3, and it's the midfield that still worries me (especially as we're not selling Emre and getting in a decent playmaker).

I think 4-4-2 is the most likely as well with the big/little combo up front and i'm happy enough with that. But if he's adaptable and maybe changes thing/mixes it up a bit for different teams and situations we'll see how it goes.

I think Shola will have a canny season as well to be honest, first time injury free in years and in a team without a clueless fuckwitt in charge for the first time in ages, should benefit all the strikers.

Rush keepers?

I think that we are going to play 442 for the most part , based on the current squad.

Only way I think we could play 4-3-3 is with viduka up top and Luque/Zoggy and Milner/Dyer/Nobby on the wings and Butt, Barton and Emre in the middle. However this would mean no starting place for Martins or Owen so it's not going to happen. I don't think either Martins or Owen will be able to play on the wings, however if they do get played there I hope they prove me wrong.

I think he will change depending on who we are playing and where. He has said he wants to be hard to beat away from home and perhaps more attacking at home. I do think we will see him use 4-3-3 but I also expect the usual 4-4-2. Once Viduka is fit I'd imagine he would start with Owen if in a 4-4-2 though in 4-3-3 Viduka would be flanked by Owen and Martins either side.

For 4-4-2 you could imagine Milner & Zog/Duff out wide with Barton/Dyer in the centre. When we play 4-3-3 the centre could change to Barton, Emre/Milner & Dyer.

At the back I reckon the centre will be Rozenhal & Taylor/Newbloke with Geremi & newbloke as full backs. Unless he will use Carr at RB and pull Geremi into midfield for games where we need more strength in the centre.

All in all, in other words, I havent got a clue :lol:

i think 4 1 2 1 2

we got a couple of good defensive midfielders and a few good attacking ones i think it would help for defensive play and attacking

• 2 weeks later...

-----------------Given

Solano----Taylor-----Roz-----Baines

------------------Diop

-----------Barton------Emre

-----------------Viduka

--------Owen------------Martins

------------------------------------------

------------------Given

Solano-----Taylor-----Roz-----Baines

-------------------Diop

----------Geremi--------Barton

Martins/Milner-----------N'Zogbia/Luque

--------------Viduka/Ameobi

------------------------------------------------

---------------------Given

Geremi------Taylor--------Roz-------Baines

Solano-----Diop/Butt----Barton/Emre---N'Zogbia/Milner

---------Owen/Martins----Viduka/Ameobi

3 different options for start of season provided we got a new left back, the wardrobe, and maybe a centre back or 2 for back up =) Oh, and another passer in the midfield would do nicely....

Edited by bassplayerjj

4-4-2 is in both the Magna Carta and the King James Bible

We fought on the beaches for 4-4-2

NO WAY should we adopt owt else............