Ameobi - Could this be his season?

Howaythetoon

Ever since Shearer and Souness departed, he came into his own more than anyone and while his performances weren't a major improvement, you can't argue with his goal return which was. And when you factor in he's been playing with a knackered hip for what seems like years now, you also can't help but admire how he turned his game around in what was tough times.

On the face of it, with Martins, Owen and Viduka at the club, his chances of making an impact this coming season would seem limited, but do you know what, I think of the three, he could well be the star of the show for us. I can't quite put a finger on it but he's the type of player I'd imagine would benefit most from Big Sam's methods.

He's never going to score 20 yarders and dribble his away around a whole defence, despite having very good technical ability contrary to popular belief, but he does seem to score his fair share of scrappy goals and Bolton were renowned for them. This may not please the football purists like but I personally don't care how they go in or who scores them.

Anyway I like the lad and think he gets unfair stick and hope he has a good season or rather carries on where he left off before finally getting that hip seen to. He's not a graceful player but I've always thought he could be very effective in the same kind of way Crouch is for Liverpool and England, a player who when up against an Owen or a Rooney doesn't stand a chance yet somehow still manages to have an impact, at times more so than those "class" players.

Fingers crossed, if anyone deserves to have a decent crack it's this lad who for years has had to bide his time alongside Shearer or play second fiddle from the bench with inept managers like Souness playing him wide fucking left or Roeder playing him despite urgently needing to get his hip fixed, which to be fair, showed great character and attitude.

Either way, as a squad player he's very handy so I'm delighted we have such options up front and for once a very strong forward line.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel too many of our fans are desperate for him to fail. Even when he scores it's always "shit goal" and "he didn't mean it". If Ameobi comes good it will only benefit the club. I wish certain people would get over their obsession with hating him and give the lad a chance.

He's better than Emre anyway :lol:

Never understood the hatred myself. Fair enough criticise his performances and what not but as far as I'm aware he's a model professional and despite his languid style, does try his best on the pitch and always has time for fans, from what I've seen of him in Toon anyway.

I feel too many of our fans are desperate for him to fail. Even when he scores it's always "shit goal" and "he didn't mean it". If Ameobi comes good it will only benefit the club. I wish certain people would get over their obsession with hating him and give the lad a chance.

Agreed.

certainly his attitude is good, I wouldnt mind one or two others being of the same ilke, I dont hate any of the players for the toon, but every single one of them will be cussed at some stage in the season when they do something wrong, but thats part and parcel of a fans frustration coming out

For me, if he is for us what Kevin Davies was for Bolton I'd be more than happy, in fact as long as he's an effective player out there I'd be happy. When I was younger it was all about the goals, but now as a more mature fan I look for effectiveness more than anything in a player. He's good for 10 + goals though which as a support striker is good going, especially in today's game where your strikers are finding goals harder to come by. Owen, a world-class finisher, hasn't even managed over 20 league goals in his career and I doubt he ever will. These days anything between 10-15 is a good number, unless you cost £25m and come with a big big reputation ala Shevchenko. The fact Shola cost nowt and is to be thought of as a squad player, makes him a valuable member of the team in my opinion. There are far worse out there, Harewood for example. I know who I'd rather have.

I think he's a second choice striker at best (if you want to be competing for Europe etc) but I think he's a better player than most give him credit for. He's a good player to have on the bench I reckon as he can make an impact as he does have a few tricks and a bit of physical presence (he needs to put himself about a bit more though). He needs someone with pace and movement alongside him too and tbf he hasn't had that very often. His first touch isn't good enough for the type of player he is too. Poor in the air for his height as well. I'd love it of he came good though. He's fucking streets ahead of Sibierski as well who seems to achieve a sort of cult status with some last season.

Having thought he was shit for.. well, forever basically.. I'd absolutely love it if he had a fantastic season this time round. I was really pleased for him when he scored a couple the other day, albeit it wasn't against top opposition. I think potentially he'll always be prone to mistakes etc but then who isn't these days, as long as he scores goals.

Ameobi's game looks clumsy but sometimes he just manages to keep the ball at his feet. He built his reputation early in his career and alongside a slow Shearer, it was a partnership destined to fail and it always filled me with dread when they were paired together.

Now that Shearer is long gone, he has a new hip, I think this season, providing he doesnt get another injury is make or break for Shola. If he shines, then he will have answered his critics and his confidence will soar, however if he fails to take the bull by the horns then he might be shipped off somewhere else next summer. A crucial season for him.

A crucial season for him.

Spot on I reckon. If we're still having this exact same discussion about Ameobi proving himself 12 months from now, then it quite simply means he hasn't, and we should draw a line under his future at the club. That said, I reckon he's definitely got the tools at his disposal to make a decent impression this year if he wants to (and injuries permit). Fingers crossed for the lad.

Spot on I reckon. If we're still having this exact same discussion about Ameobi proving himself 12 months from now, then it quite simply means he hasn't, and we should draw a line under his future at the club. That said, I reckon he's definitely got the tools at his disposal to make a decent impression this year if he wants to (and injuries permit). Fingers crossed for the lad.

Werd x 2. Or whatever means I agree with both of you.

"Top-hole opinion, chummer!"

"Top-hole opinion, chummer!"

I'm out the liz-oop, chummer. :lol:

or cud it be the season where hes got no more excuses for y he plays shite..... roeder gone, souness gone, hip gone..... now jus show evry1 ur bollocks. in fairness id like him to do well tho, he seems like a genuine good lad

like dyer, the stick he gets is largely overblown. i reckon he could link up well with owen or martins. he was one of our best players before his op, despite carrying an injury.

I've said it before and I'll stick my neck on the line to say it again. Ameobi = Drogba in disguise...

Like the kind of Vietnam veteran disguise that Eddie Murphy used in Trading Places ?

Fuck me, a thread where Shola is getting moderate praise? What next?

From what I've seen Shol ais not a good footballer. However under Roeder he has had a fantastic goal record and playing alongside Shearer he couldn't create much due to a lack of pace in the partnership. I have felt for a while now that Shola is the sort of player who needs a partner and a team playing his way, not necessarily a team built round him but a partnership in which he can flourish.

Contrary to popular belief Shola isn't a bad player, ungraceful? Yes. Wasteful? Yes. But he can be useful in and around the penalty box and can also be useful with chances going in and off his neck.

Without proclaiming him as our saviour I will say that he deserves an opportunity next season and could well be a better choice as a big man up front ahead of Viduka.

The fucker has been begging for a starting berth for years. I felt so bad for him playing through the pain at the start of last season and then having to have the operation, as he could have really staked his claim.

We could have done with him last season anyway.

Slightly unrelated, but I can't believe we didn't have Martins injured last season. How the fuck did we get away with that?

Edited by Barney

From what I've seen Shol ais not a good footballer. However under Roeder he has had a fantastic goal record and playing alongside Shearer he couldn't create much due to a lack of pace in the partnership. I have felt for a while now that Shola is the sort of player who needs a partner and a team playing his way, not necessarily a team built round him but a partnership in which he can flourish.

Contrary to popular belief Shola isn't a bad player, ungraceful? Yes. Wasteful? Yes. But he can be useful in and around the penalty box and can also be useful with chances going in and off his neck.

Without proclaiming him as our saviour I will say that he deserves an opportunity next season and could well be a better choice as a big man up front ahead of Viduka.

Not a patch on Viduka in terms of comparing them as individual players or what they can bring to the team as a whole.

Not a patch on Viduka in terms of comparing them as individual players or what they can bring to the team as a whole.

Indeed, I actually have no recollection of writing that and therefore it follows that I can't be held responsible for it.

Indeed, I actually have no recollection of writing that and therefore it follows that I can't be held responsible for it.

Could be worse, you could have likened him to Drogba.