Ameobi - Could this be his season?

Howaythetoon

at least shola will put in a decent shift every week. it remians to be seen whether viduka's workrate is up to it.

Not sure Shola always does that tttt. Neither are that sort of player though.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at least shola will put in a decent shift every week. it remians to be seen whether viduka's workrate is up to it.

i think he always shows commitment. his languid style probably disguises how hard he can work for the team. viduka certainly isn't the sort to go chasing lost causes.

i think he always shows commitment. his languid style probably disguises how hard he can work for the team. viduka certainly isn't the sort to go chasing lost causes.

I agree about his languid style. He's not the sort of player who can work his bollocks off though. Whenever he starts a match he always looks fucked after about 60 minutes imo.

More than happy to have him in the squad as 4th choice. Hopefully he'll continue the improvement he was showing signs of at the end of the 05/06 season as well.

I thought he was shitter than shit. But after Tuesdays performance im willing to give him a go this season now hes fully fit. I hope he doesnt hoy it away.

it was a game against Hartlepool ffs, when he can start doing that against the likes of liverpool, spurs, chelsea or even west ham then he should be credited. he will hardly get a look in this and might start the odd carling cup game

SHOLA AMEOBI has revealed how playing in the shadow of Alan Shearer has helped condition him in the fight for striking places at Newcastle United.

The Toon striker travels to Carlisle United’s Brunton Park tomorrow hoping to add to his two-goal haul at Hartlepool United on Tuesday night.

Ameobi came on as a second-half sub alongside Shearer’s old England strike partner Michael Owen against Pools, and looked sharp after his hip operation last term.

Now Shola aims to make one of the striking berths his own with Owen, Nigerian star Oba Martins and Mark Viduka for company in the front line, as well as teenager Andy Carroll and reformed Spanish misfit Albert Luque.

Ameobi told the Chronicle: “The likes of Oba, Mark, Andy and Michael are great and provide competition for me.

“But there has always been competition here in the form of Alan Shearer – he was the main goalscorer.

“So we have good strikers here who can all chip in and, hopefully, we can fight for places.”

The smart money will be on Owen and Mark Viduka becoming Allardyce’s first-choice front two, with the Australian likely to have been assured of a first-team place when fully fit having snubbed Middlesbrough and deals to move to Portsmouth and West Ham.

Then there is Martins, who ended the season with 17 goals, but knows any bid between now and August 31 will activate his £13m release clause, leaving his future up in the air until September 1.

With Ameobi starting the season with plenty of competition, the striker admitted his goals at Victoria Park on Tuesday will help his cause.

He added: “Goals can tip the argument my way – scoring is the most important thing.

“For the top side we are, or hope to be in the new season, goals will win games.

“We can make the attacking department sharp and it will keep us all on our toes.”

Despite his long lay off with a hip problem last term, Ameobi still bagged five goals as he battled through the pain barrier before breaking down and heading to America for treatment.

After sitting out for so long last season, the last thing any player needs is to be faced with the likes of Owen, Viduka and Martins in the jostle for a first-team place, but Shola, as always, opted to look at things positively.

He added: “As a striker, you need to be scoring goals – and we have five good strikers here.

“But competition will help us all to become better players.”

Viduka is class. He'll need time to rest up after his venture in Asia though.

As with Ameobi, if it aint this year, it will be never. I don't care if Ameobi runs 5 kms more than Viduka in a game. If it isn't effective, it means bugger all.

Viduka on his day is a world beater. Ameobi thus far, on his day, is nothing more than decent.

Edited by Ken

As with Ameobi, if it aint this year, it will be never. I don't care if Ameobi runs 5 kms more than Viduka in a game. If it isn't effective, it means bugger all.

Viduka on his day is a world beater. Ameobi thus far, on his day, is nothing more than decent.

You remember that game against Barcelona a few years ago when he was the best player on the pitch?

Also remember that Drogba didn't start banging in goals in a far inferior league until he was Ameobi's age, he had a poor goalscoring record before he was 25/6.

If he get's his chances this season then I expect him to take them and good luck to the lad. Seems like one of the decent ones.

That was one match though mate. Drogba looked quality at Marseille too and could probably go to a club like AC Milan, Barcelona or just about anywhere he wanted. Shola will never be that good. Drogba is also fast, immensely strong (and capable of using that strength) and class in the air. That's mainly why the comparison bemused me.

You remember that game against Barcelona a few years ago when he was the best player on the pitch?

Also remember that Drogba didn't start banging in goals in a far inferior league until he was Ameobi's age, he had a poor goalscoring record before he was 25/6.

If he get's his chances this season then I expect him to take them and good luck to the lad. Seems like one of the decent ones.

Aye I remember. Do you have any more fond memories though?

I am not trying to play Shola down, don't get me wrong, but Viduka is in a class above mate. Drogba is a completely different player, and that's before I start with how each player plays and the class level. If you think otherwise please elaborate. Shola is backup for me. He may get a chance first up to allow Viduka to recuperate, but class will shine through in the end. Viduka will have twice as many starts than Shola by season's end...minimum, and rightly so.

he has the potential to be, whether or not he actually gets much better is up to him tho. Drogba was good at Marseille yes, but only after cutting his teeth at lesser clubs not scoring that many goals.

Can't agree there. No fucking chance imo.

SHOLA AMEOBI has revealed how playing in the shadow of Alan Shearer has helped condition him in the fight for striking places at Newcastle United.

:lol: Like every year, and like most of our players he's saying all the right things... but how come he's never really shown any signs of having learned much from Shearer in the last 6 years?

I'm guessing we'll see more of the same from him this season. The shit first touch, the constant offside, the breaking up our play etc etc.. thankfuly with Viduka seemingly having found a new lease of life, we'll probably only have to put up with Shola for League cup games and for 10-15 minutes here and there.

or cud it be the season where hes got no more excuses for y he plays shite..... roeder gone, souness gone, hip gone..... now jus show evry1 ur bollocks. in fairness id like him to do well tho, he seems like a genuine good lad
Wait a sec, what then are your reasons for him being "bollocks"? In fact he played very well under Roeder (as bad a manager as he was) - you cannot deny this and again you'd better not play the fool and whine on about him being crap when he was 17 etc etc. He has improved - there is no doubt about this. And of course his bad hip had an effect on him - he had it for two years. How can you draw conclusions about his ability when his most recent performances (as in the last two years) have been when injured.

Speak English also please. Plus I don't know why you want Shola to show everyone his bollocks.

Back to the title, I don't want to get all "this could be Shola's season", but I maintain at least that he gets way too much stick and isn;'t as bad as people like MattM4 wish he were. In an ideal scenario, he will be our fourth-choice striker this season and he shouldn't be better than that, however provided he'sw fit he will get games, and I don't see why he won't score.

No wait, he's a retarded mongface donkey who can't get anything right so he's destined to fail again... :lol:

:lol: Like every year, and like most of our players he's saying all the right things... but how come he's never really shown any signs of having learned much from Shearer in the last 6 years?
Well, he barely played last season and still scored five goals. The season before that he hit some form in the second half and carried it on throughout pre-season. The season before that we had Souness and he was having that hip injury (which he had for the next year also and still played well).

It's a pretty foolish comment to make basically.

I'm guessing we'll see more of the same from him this season. The shit first touch, the constant offside, the breaking up our play etc etc..
And nothing good of course. No matter how many goals he may end up scoring he's still an [insert several profanities] because he makes silly mistakes. Bit harsh tbh.

Well, he barely played last season and still scored five goals. The season before that he hit some form in the second half and carried it on throughout pre-season. The season before that we had Souness and he was having that hip injury (which he had for the next year also and still played well).

And nothing good of course. No matter how many goals he may end up scoring he's still an [insert several profanities] because he makes silly mistakes. Bit harsh tbh.

He wasn't "playing well"... he is far more of a weight to the team in comparison to what he can bring.

It isn't a foolish thing to say, it's an observation. He's been at the same club as a legendary English striker (as well as Sir Bobby!) throughout his footballing education and during his eventual break into the first team.. yet he has one of worst fist touches and footballing brains I've seen (not even just at the top level). Yet now he is bragging about how much he learned over years from Shearer! He has some nerve. If his workrate was that great maybe he'd have sorted himself by now, but he still makes the same errors over and over.

Anyway enough about our pile of crap for now.

He wasn't "playing well"... he is far more of a weight to the team in comparison to what he can bring.

It isn't a foolish thing to say, it's an observation. He's been at the same club as a legendary English striker (as well as Sir Bobby!) throughout his footballing education and during his eventual break into the first team.. yet he has one of worst fist touches and footballing brains I've seen (not even just at the top level). Yet now he is bragging about how much he learned over years from Shearer! He has some nerve. If his workrate was that great maybe he'd have sorted himself by now, but he still makes the same errors over and over.

Who cares is he wasn't playing well (by your opinion)? He's contributing to the team and that's what matters. I've never said he's a footballing genius but he hasn't warranted to be called a "pile of crap" and anything else you've called him. Why not insult many of our other players, because there sure is better reason to as Ameobi is at least a decent guy and good profressional.

Who cares is he wasn't playing well (by your opinion)? He's contributing to the team and that's what matters. I've never said he's a footballing genius but he hasn't warranted to be called a "pile of crap" and anything else you've called him. Why not insult many of our other players, because there sure is better reason to as Ameobi is at least a decent guy and good profressional.

I think I'd make a good profressional (attitude wise anyway) and I'm like to think I'm a decent guy, does that mean I deserve a run out for Newcastle United ?

I think I'd make a good profressional (attitude wise anyway) and I'm like to think I'm a decent guy, does that mean I deserve a run out for Newcastle United ?

No, but that's not really relevant to my post if you read again.

No, but that's not really relevant to my post if you read again.

I don't need to read it twice thanks, the measure of a striker is his return in goals, Martins whilst having a shit first touch etc knows how to stick the ball in the back of the net, Shola on the other hand hasn't consistantly done that during his Toon career, yet still gets second chance after second chance.

the measure of a striker is his return in goals, Martins whilst having a shit first touch etc knows how to stick the ball in the back of the net, Shola on the other hand hasn't consistantly done that during his Toon career, yet still gets second chance after second chance.

Shola's record under Roeder was pretty good tbf.