Ameobi - Could this be his season?

Howaythetoon

the measure of a striker is his return in goals, Martins whilst having a shit first touch etc knows how to stick the ball in the back of the net, Shola on the other hand hasn't consistantly done that during his Toon career, yet still gets second chance after second chance.

Shola's record under Roeder was pretty good tbf.

he had a good couple of months, that equates to little more than a blip in an otherwise poor return infront of goals.

The "nice guy" comments and "good profesional" comments mean nothing as far as I'm concerned, he's a striker, he's there to either make goals or score them, if folk are happy to have a 9 goal a season Shola Ameobi in the Newcastle United team week in week out, don't be moaning when we finish 13th again.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, he barely played last season and still scored five goals. The season before that he hit some form in the second half and carried it on throughout pre-season. The season before that we had Souness and he was having that hip injury (which he had for the next year also and still played well).

It's a pretty foolish comment to make basically.

And nothing good of course. No matter how many goals he may end up scoring he's still an [insert several profanities] because he makes silly mistakes. Bit harsh tbh.

He wasn't "playing well"... he is far more of a weight to the team in comparison to what he can bring.

It isn't a foolish thing to say, it's an observation. He's been at the same club as a legendary English striker (as well as Sir Bobby!) throughout his footballing education and during his eventual break into the first team.. yet he has one of worst fist touches and footballing brains I've seen (not even just at the top level). Yet now he is bragging about how much he learned over years from Shearer! He has some nerve. If his workrate was that great maybe he'd have sorted himself by now, but he still makes the same errors over and over.

Anyway enough about our pile of crap for now.

Who cares is he wasn't playing well (by your opinion)? He's contributing to the team and that's what matters. I've never said he's a footballing genius but he hasn't warranted to be called a "pile of crap" and anything else you've called him. Why not insult many of our other players, because there sure is better reason to as Ameobi is at least a decent guy and good profressional.

I think I'd make a good profressional (attitude wise anyway) and I'm like to think I'm a decent guy, does that mean I deserve a run out for Newcastle United ?

No, but that's not really relevant to my post if you read again.

I don't need to read it twice thanks, the measure of a striker is his return in goals, Martins whilst having a shit first touch etc knows how to stick the ball in the back of the net, Shola on the other hand hasn't consistantly done that during his Toon career, yet still gets second chance after second chance.

I think you'll find you do need to read it twice.

The part about Shola being a decent guy/professional was me criticising Matt for always insulting him in that rather abusive way - I was merely pointing there are far worse people at our club that deserve to be insulted more than him. Shola gets this just because he's a bit clumsy and talks optimistically (usually followed by abuse just for that).

In response to your comment, as has been pointed out enough times, Shola has found the net many times in the past year and a half when he has played, but like the rest of his critiques you're harping on about how bad he was a few years ago as if there's really relevent now. He's not even hard a chance to prove himself now his hip injury has gone, for goodness sake.

Edited by TheInspiration

He's 4th choice and that suits me. Shola imo will never up his game to the required level because like Hughes he doesn't have the required will to win in him, thats what made Hughes an average defender...soft as shite basically

Well, he barely played last season and still scored five goals. The season before that he hit some form in the second half and carried it on throughout pre-season. The season before that we had Souness and he was having that hip injury (which he had for the next year also and still played well).

And nothing good of course. No matter how many goals he may end up scoring he's still an [insert several profanities] because he makes silly mistakes. Bit harsh tbh.

He wasn't "playing well"... he is far more of a weight to the team in comparison to what he can bring.

It isn't a foolish thing to say, it's an observation. He's been at the same club as a legendary English striker (as well as Sir Bobby!) throughout his footballing education and during his eventual break into the first team.. yet he has one of worst fist touches and footballing brains I've seen (not even just at the top level). Yet now he is bragging about how much he learned over years from Shearer! He has some nerve. If his workrate was that great maybe he'd have sorted himself by now, but he still makes the same errors over and over.

Who cares is he wasn't playing well (by your opinion)? He's contributing to the team and that's what matters. I've never said he's a footballing genius but he hasn't warranted to be called a "pile of crap" and anything else you've called him. Why not insult many of our other players, because there sure is better reason to as Ameobi is at least a decent guy and good profressional.

I think I'd make a good profressional (attitude wise anyway) and I'm like to think I'm a decent guy, does that mean I deserve a run out for Newcastle United ?

I don't need to read it twice thanks, the measure of a striker is his return in goals, Martins whilst having a shit first touch etc knows how to stick the ball in the back of the net, Shola on the other hand hasn't consistantly done that during his Toon career, yet still gets second chance after second chance.

The part about Shola being a decent guy/professional was me criticising Matt for always insulting him in that rather abusive way - I was merely pointing there are far worse people at our club that deserve to be insulted more than him. Shola gets this just because he's a bit clumsy and talks optimistically (usually followed by abuse just for that).

In response to your comment, as has been pointed out enough times, Shola has found the net many times in the past year and a half when he has played, but like the rest of his critiques you're harping on about how bad he was a few years ago as if there's really relevent now. He's not even hard a chance to prove himself now his hip injury has gone, for goodness sake.

How many of the so called top half clubs in the Premier League do you think would start Shola Ameobi in their team ?

How many of the so called top half clubs in the Premier League do you think would start Shola Ameobi in their team ?

None, and interestingly enough, I said he should be a fourth-choice striker...

None, and interestingly enough, I said he should be a fourth-choice striker...

I'm glad you agree with me :lol:

the measure of a striker is his return in goals, Martins whilst having a shit first touch etc knows how to stick the ball in the back of the net, Shola on the other hand hasn't consistantly done that during his Toon career, yet still gets second chance after second chance.

he had a good couple of months, that equates to little more than a blip in an otherwise poor return infront of goals.

The "nice guy" comments and "good profesional" comments mean nothing as far as I'm concerned, he's a striker, he's there to either make goals or score them, if folk are happy to have a 9 goal a season Shola Ameobi in the Newcastle United team week in week out, don't be moaning when we finish 13th again.

Similarly you could say Martins had a blip between December and early March, he didn't score too many outside of that period.

I'm not defending Ameobi btw, he shouldn't be first choice but his recent record has been a credit to him and I think he should be given a chance as 2nd choice in the big man role this season but if unsuccessful then he'll have to go.

Similarly you could say Martins had a blip between December and early March, he didn't score too many outside of that period.

I'm not defending Ameobi btw, he shouldn't be first choice but his recent record has been a credit to him and I think he should be given a chance as 2nd choice in the big man role this season but if unsuccessful then he'll have to go.

17 goals isn't a bad blip.

Aye though he only got 10 in the league from open play which isn't an amazing return for our first choice striker.

Aye though he only got 10 in the league from open play which isn't an amazing return for our first choice striker.

We need a better return than that if we are to improve on last season, even so, as I've said before, its not bad for a pensioner lad in his first season in the Premier League playing for what was a pretty crap team, lets hope all our strikers have a better season this time.

you need players in your squad (especially strikers) that while not guranteed starters will always fight for the cause and fight for their place. shola fits the bill. you can't have four strikers that all expect to start every game. shola is good coming off the bench, can make things happen and deserves to start a few games this season if he can keep up his pre-op form.

i always thought he'd do well for us after shearer retired as they never really worked as a front two and i felt for him that he picked up his worst injury the season after shearer called it a day. i hope he proves a few of us wrong next season. this could his best (and, sadly, final) chance with us.

That's a daft argument tbh. You're making out like Ameobi has been selected as our first-choice striker when in reality he has only really become that due to the injuries and managerial incompetence in the transfer market during the last few years. He has always been a squad striker and now that Owen has committed himself (for the time being), we've signed Viduka and Martins isn't looking to go anywhere soon, he will once again be a squad striker.

And he has shown himself more than capable in that department, standing in towards the end of season 2005-06 and at the start of last season to good effect by chipping in with goals which is what you described previously as all you care about and not whether he's a 100% professional or a nice guy.

I personally think Ameobi's career to date can't really be judged fairly or objectively. Earlier on in his career there was always Shearer, Bellamy and then Shearer, Kluivert and Bellamy, followed by Shearer and Owen blocking his path. As a result the vast bulk of Ameobi's appearances came as a sub late on in games or the odd appearance here or there and when he did get a game he was often paired with a partner who wasn't exactly suited to his game. Furthermore he's had various troublesome injuries to contend with over the years such as his hip. And lets not forget some of the clueless managers he's had managing him (left wing under Souness?) and the struggling team behind him charged with setting him up with chances. It is no wonder he's not really produced anything of note in all the years.

And when he does finally step out of Shearer's shadow and gets a decent run of games? He actually started scoring goals, until that hip started giving him jip again of course.

And now he finds himself back at square one - a squad striker.

Say what you will about his first touch, his goals to appearances record or his style of play - it has been at times almost impossible for him to make a mark and I think these contributing factors often get overlooked as his critics go for the obvious and in the case of your quoted 'point' Jimbo, the plain daft.

I'll answer your question for what it's worth: Any club who lost their main strikers to injury and were unable to or incompetent in the transfer market to replace them, that's who.

BTW I'm not his biggest fan either, he's an average player who ideally, would be replaced in the squad by an infinetly better player but we are not Chelsea or Man Utd and have to get the best out of what we have until we are in such a position, and he is good enough as a squad player for this current squad, anyone who thinks otherwise plainly hasn't a clue.

In my opinion of course.

That's a daft argument tbh. You're making out like Ameobi has been selected as our first-choice striker when in reality he has only really become that due to the injuries and managerial incompetence in the transfer market during the last few years. He has always been a squad striker and now that Owen has committed himself (for the time being), we've signed Viduka and Martins isn't looking to go anywhere soon, he will once again be a squad striker.

And he has shown himself more than capable in that department, standing in towards the end of season 2005-06 and at the start of last season to good effect by chipping in with goals which is what you described previously as all you care about and not whether he's a 100% professional or a nice guy.

I personally think Ameobi's career to date can't really be judged fairly or objectively. Earlier on in his career there was always Shearer, Bellamy and then Shearer, Kluivert and Bellamy, followed by Shearer and Owen blocking his path. As a result the vast bulk of Ameobi's appearances came as a sub late on in games or the odd appearance here or there and when he did get a game he was often paired with a partner who wasn't exactly suited to his game. Furthermore he's had various troublesome injuries to contend with over the years such as his hip. And lets not forget some of the clueless managers he's had managing him (left wing under Souness?) and the struggling team behind him charged with setting him up with chances. It is no wonder he's not really produced anything of note in all the years.

And when he does finally step out of Shearer's shadow and gets a decent run of games? He actually started scoring goals, until that hip started giving him jip again of course.

And now he finds himself back at square one - a squad striker.

Say what you will about his first touch, his goals to appearances record or his style of play - it has been at times almost impossible for him to make a mark and I think these contributing factors often get overlooked as his critics go for the obvious and in the case of your quoted 'point' Jimbo, the plain daft.

I'll answer your question for what it's worth: Any club who lost their main strikers to injury and were unable to or incompetent in the transfer market to replace them, that's who.

BTW I'm not his biggest fan either, he's an average player who ideally, would be replaced in the squad by an infinetly better player but we are not Chelsea or Man Utd and have to get the best out of what we have until we are in such a position, and he is good enough as a squad player for this current squad, anyone who thinks otherwise plainly hasn't a clue.

In my opinion of course.

QFT.

I don't really think there is an huge gulf in our opinions of Shola, I don't hate the lad, far from it, I'd be delighted to see him get 15-20 goals this season, as I would any of our playing staff, the thing I find frustrating in some respects is the amount of patience some folk have for him.

The one thing I believe Ameobi has proven is that he's a squad player, a benchwarmer, but little more, not a player that deserves a regular start unless injury to the likes of Owen, Martins or Viduka forces it, Ameobi is a tryer, he'll graft and give his all, which is more than some do, but I feel his best isn't good enough.

Judging by some of the tranfer threads, there are those amongst us that wouldn't mind seeing Martins leave at the right price as they seem to have already made their minds up about him following his debut season, yet Shola seems to get this sympathetic treatment, and from some folk undying patience that one season he might finally produce the goods, the title of this thread is a case in point, "Could this be his season ?" his season to do what ???

He's 26 this year, he's no longer a prospect, he's what he is, he's not going to develop into a world class player now, he's a 4th choice striker, thats his level in my opinion, I wish the lad all the luck in the world, I don't hate him, far from it, I just don't think he's very good.

I always thought and am still of the same opinion that Ameobi would never be the striker we would love him to be.

As tall as he is he does not win enough challenges for high balls.

Too often he plays the ball too far ahead of himself to keep control.

He sometimes has decent control in his dribbles but they often come to naught with no finish.

Does not appear to have that agressive nature we like to see in strikers.

He is not what you would call good at holding the ball up.

Starting eleven I hardly think so, good squad player for sure, but I hope he can prove to be a starter.